Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Increase Biceps.

John Cena Wannabe.

How To Increase Biceps.

Hey guys thanks for the advice on how to get my bench up. The 5x5's have really done wonders. Now I am wondering how to get what I do in arms to go up. I am stuck and havn't move up in arms in god knows how long. What biceps workout should I be doing? I want HUGE biceps.
    Starting Weight: 135 (January 06)
    Weight Now: 218 (January 08)
    Starting Bench: 100
    Bench Now: 210 x 1
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Weaker
    EATING LOTSSSS + Compounds + Rest = Possibly 'HUGE' biceps.

Triceps are usually what makes you arms look bigger anyway, but whatever.
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Your biceps make up only 1/3 of your arm bulk while your triceps make up two-thirds.

You want big arms, you should be doing heavy compound movements, pull ups, rows, etc...

All I see in your signature is your bench press number. Are you doing deadlifts and squats? You say you're doing a 5x5 routine. What does your full routine look like? How tall are you? How big are your arms now and how big were they when you started?

What's your diet like? How tall are you? It looks like you've gained considerable weight since you started, so good for you.

But we need more information if you expect helpful advice.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 02-05-2007 at 08:03 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Gain weight.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

John Cena Wannabe.
    Well for those talking about the triceps, I have gained a really noticeable amount of muscle in my triceps. I clearly have that "v-shaped" look when I flex. As far as how tall I am, I am 6'3" and weigh 192. My diet is eat whatever I can whenever I can and try to get enough protein in my day. School makes it hard to get on a strict eating schedule. I try to eat every 3 hours, but sometimes I go over that a little bit between lunch and when I get home from school. The 5x5 routine I am only doing on bench since that is what I was having trouble moving up in. I know you guys won't like this but I havn't lifted with legs in over 2 months because I tweaked my knee so I gave them a rest. I am getting ready to get started back on them though. So hopefully these answers will help you help me.

I have gained a really noticeable amount of muscle in my triceps. I clearly have that "v-shaped" look when I flex.
    The "V" shape has nothing to do with your triceps. That would be your lats.

As far as how tall I am, I am 6'3" and weigh 192.
    Now that I know your height, the answer is what Paul said: GAIN WEIGHT.

My diet is eat whatever I can whenever I can and try to get enough protein in my day.
    How do you know you're getting enough protein if you're "eating whatever you can"?

School makes it hard to get on a strict eating schedule.
    It doesn't have to be "strict", but you do have to be eating enough calories. You still need to gain weight @ 6'3".

I know you guys won't like this but I havn't lifted with legs in over 2 months because I tweaked my knee so I gave them a rest. I am getting ready to get started back on them though. So hopefully these answers will help you help me.
    That certainly doesn't help your situation. Did you see a doctor about it?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 02-05-2007 at 08:29 PM.

John Cena Wannabe.
    I kinda just let the knee mend itself. It feels alot better than it did, which is why I'm going to start legs again. But how can it not help my biceps situation if its legs? What do they have to do with biceps? And as far as protein goes I eat most of the same stuff and I have charted it down before. I'm a die hard label reader. So I get a good idea of how much protein I take in from day to day.

Squating will use the biggest muscles in your body. This will release more testosterone vs bench alone and some curls. Do chinups the same day as legs and you will see some gains. Take advantage of what your body is already doing.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

I kinda just let the knee mend itself. It feels alot better than it did, which is why I'm going to start legs again.
    Don't let things "fix themselves". Go see a doc.

The bi's are for the ladies.

correct me if I'm wrong but Biceps are also genetic.. You either have huge ones or you don't... I'm not 100% sure on this... Scars? maybe you can correct me...

Quote Originally Posted by EvanH View Post
    The bi's are for the ladies.
    All muscles are for the ladies lol.
    To the OP its mostly about calories and compounds, however there is one isolation excercise that has really helped me; concentration curls
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ationCurl.html

This excercise hits a muscle in your bicep called Brachialis
    http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Brachialis.html

This is a muscle in the bicep that normal bicep curls don't hit as hard. I really get a great feeling with this excercise and I am able to up the weight more every time. Give this excercise a try, but don't neglect the compounds - back rows, chins etc, these are vital not only for biceps but for core strength.

Banned
    geesh its like nobody here knows how to train them to increase the size.

anyways to answer the original question (i predict that there will be several posts about how i dont know what im takling about blah blah blah) but from somebody whos been there and gained some good size on his biceps in a short time with out gaining much bodyweight. you need to do heavy curls, make your bicept routine almost in to a compound movement.
    I like to do heavy preacher bench curls, heavy incline curls, then drop set dumbell work where i decrease the weight after i cant get that weight anymore. In about two years i put on about two inches with only gaining about 5-10lbs of body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    geesh its like nobody here knows how to train them to increase the size.

anyways to answer the original question (i predict that there will be several posts about how i dont know what im takling about blah blah blah) but from somebody whos been there and gained some good size on his biceps in a short time with out gaining much bodyweight. you need to do heavy curls, make your bicept routine almost in to a compound movement.
    I like to do heavy preacher bench curls, heavy incline curls, then drop set dumbell work where i decrease the weight after i cant get that weight anymore. In about two years i put on about two inches with only gaining about 5-10lbs of body weight.
    Looking at your sig, you are obviously a lot stronger than I am, and I've only been lifting for 9 months, but in the last two months I have increased my upper arms by 1 centimetre, thats not bad is it?
    Last edited by JConrad; 02-06-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidLifter812 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the advice on how to get my bench up. The 5x5's have really done wonders. Now I am wondering how to get what I do in arms to go up. I am stuck and havn't move up in arms in god knows how long. What biceps workout should I be doing? I want HUGE biceps.
    you took 60 pound in a year wtf?
    5' 11" 160 20 y/o
    8% b/f

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Gain weight.
    Just listen to Paul.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JConrad View Post
    Looking at your sig, you are obviously a lot stronger than I am, and I've only been lifting for 9 months, but in the last two months I have increased my upper arms by 1 centimetre, thats not bad is it?
    no, not all all, that is a decent size gain
    (oh and by the way i wasnt critizing your answer all all, you gave some decent advice)

my arms are over 22 inches and i only hammer curl for biceps twice a week
    Last edited by rmccray; 02-06-2007 at 07:29 AM.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Bah, I work on the big 3 and train arms secondary and they're going up in size simply because they're part of the bigger movements, if you were squatting, deading, and benching, along with the surrounding exercies involving them (ie rows, pull ups etc) then it'll tag them. Isolating them is ok but when I used to do that I wasnt doing squats and I never got far, once I started squatting, I've noticed a huge increase in overall body mass.

Listen to cantstopnow, squatting is key.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

There are no limits DaoineSidhe's Avatar
    Compounds seems to have helped me out a lot in increasing arm size. Through Deadlifts, squats (low numbers, but still working on them), bent-over rows, and chins, my arms are at a modest 15" which is more then they were when I did isolations only. The OP might try using both in tandem with their routine.
    Height: 5'5
    Weight: 195
    Body Fat: 30% (from an online measuring formula)
    Goal: get to 170, be 15% bf or lower, and to eat a healthier diet

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat View Post
    Bah, I work on the big 3 and train arms secondary and they're going up in size simply because they're part of the bigger movements, if you were squatting, deading, and benching, along with the surrounding exercies involving them (ie rows, pull ups etc) then it'll tag them. Isolating them is ok but when I used to do that I wasnt doing squats and I never got far, once I started squatting, I've noticed a huge increase in overall body mass.

Listen to cantstopnow, squatting is key.
    :withstupi

Take the advice from scarz, crazedwombat, cantstopnow, chubrock and paul stagg. Nothing more really to be added.
    Last edited by Keith; 02-06-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Scarz, I left you out bud :D

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Squat. Pulling movements. Food. Rest.

Then bench like a mutha - and forget about bis.

Listen to Scarz / Stagg.
    Last edited by Questor; 02-06-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Is everyone in this thread stuck on hardgainer training theory or what?

Squatting certainly helps create an anabolic environment in the body, but you have to work you biceps directly to take advantage of that. I'm not talking about 12 sets of curls, but you should hit them with a couple sets after compounds if you want them to really grow.

If you want impressive arms, you will *shudder* have to work them in isolation sometimes.

This is the bodybuilding forum right?
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 02-06-2007 at 12:01 PM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
    Is everyone in this thread stuck on hardgainer training theory or what?

This is the bodybuilding forum right?
    The main point to this debate (correct me if I'm wrong) is that through direct bicep training won't be as effective as heavy compound movements. MOST people that would ask a question like this are uneducated about the fact that diet and heavy compound movements should be the main concern on "making your biceps bigger". I believe that direct bicep training should be done with variation and moderation after heavy compound lifts that incorporate your biceps. As I stated before, most people with questions like that, concentrate too much on variations of curls to make them bigger. I'm sure this is why they made simple comments like eat, lift heavy compound movements, focus more on the triceps, rest, etc...
    Last edited by Keith; 02-06-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    no, not all all, that is a decent size gain
    (oh and by the way i wasnt critizing your answer all all, you gave some decent advice)
    Well there's a first time for everything hehe.

Isn't it interesting that when anyone wants to know how big someone's upper arms are they always say "How big are your biceps?" As if its the only bit of tissue in your upper arms.
    To find out the size of your bicep you would have to thread a tape measure through your arm and wrap it round the damn thing.
    This just shows how the tricep is so neglected in people's thinking.