Thread: Am I gaining weight too fast?

Am I gaining weight too fast?

It's been almost two weeks since I started bulking and I hopped on the scale this morning (same scale and no clothing) and it said I weighed 150 lbs, but two weeks ago, I was 142 lbs. I don't know if it's water weight or what?

Here is what I have been eating for my bulk....

Sunday, January 28th.

Cereal/Milk- 400 calories
    Cheese/Milk- 450 calories
    Chicken/Potato Salad- 300 calories
    Yogurt/Banana/Oats- 400 calories
    Bagel/PB/Milk- 800 calories
    Shake- 250 calories
    French Roll/Cottage Cheese- 250
    Milk/Banana- 230

Monday, January 29th

Eggs/Bacon/Toast/Apple Juice- 600 calories
    Cereal/Milk- 350 calories
    Pasta/Sauce/Milk (2)- 650
    Shake- 250 calories
    Bagel/PB/Milk- 800 calories
    Cheese/Milk- 600 calories

Tuesday. January 30th

Chicken Fingers- 1000 calories
    Shake- 250 calories
    Yogurt/Banana- 420
    Shake- 940 calories
    Cheese/Milk- 600 calories

Wednesday, January 31st

Cereal/Milke- 350 calories
    Wings/Dressing/Rice- 750
    Shake- 700
    Yogurt/Banana- 420
    Milk- 130
    Bagel/PB/Milk- 800

Thursday, February 01

Bacon/Eggs/Juice- 550 calories
    Soup/Bun- 400
    Shake- 790 calories
    N/A- 1000
    Shake- 610

Friday, February 02

Milk/Cereal- 350 calories
    Hamburger Helper- 300
    Shake- 1340
    Cheese/Milke- 490
    Yogurt/Banana- 420

Saturday, February 03

Milk/Cereal- 350 calories
    Pasta- 700 calories
    Beer- 240 calories
    O.J- 240 calories
    Shake- 1000 calories

Sunday, February 04

Stew- 450 calories
    Shake- 690 calories
    PB Sandwich/Milk- 800 calories
    Yogurt/Banana- 300 calories

Monday, February 05

Eggs/Bacon/Juice- 500 calories
    Yogurt/Banana- 300 calories
    McDonald's Sandwich- 500 calories
    Chicken/Pasta- 300 calories
    Shake- 690
    PB Sandwich/Milk- 810

Tuesday, Februaru 06

Eggs/Bacon/Juice- 600 calories
    Yogurt/Banana- 340
    Steak- 400
    Shake- 690

Wednesday, February 07

Bacon 'n Cheddar/Fries- 880
    Shake- 650
    Pasta-600
    Shake- 650

Thursday, February 08

Perogies/Sausage- 700 calories
    Shake- 650 calories
    PB Sandwich/Milk- 780 calories

By the way, before I started working out and bulking, I could sit at 142 lbs only consuming one or two meals a day. I am thinking maybe my body isn't used to consuming 3000+ calories a day, so that is why I am gaining weight at a fast pace?
    Last edited by Morox; 02-09-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Do a quick search for "What a bodybuilder eats" via these forums or google and it will pull up a thread showing what foods you should be eating.

Bulking is not just taking in extra calories, its taking in extra calories of the right things.

After reading that thread, you will find that a lot of the stuff you have been eating is not on that list (granted a decent amount is).

Try to stay as clean as you can when you bulk. Don't eat junk (ex: wings, chicken fingers, Mcdonald's sandwich, fries) . Eat more of the good stuff.

If you don't eat clean'ish on a bulk the weight you inevitably gain as a result of increasing calories will likely be a more fat then muscle...This could explain your rapid weight gain. And I would say that you are in fact gaining weight a bit fast. According to popular belief it is very rare to to gain more then a pound or so of muscle per week.
    Last edited by LaxGuy16; 02-09-2007 at 06:49 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

What's wrong with mainly dairy products while bulking? I don't see anything wrong with it. I was on a craptastic diet when I originally worked out and I still looked great.

mmm... discipline
    You need fiber, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats in there too... if you want to do it the healthy way. You're right though; a crappy diet verses a healthy diet won't really change how you look while bulking.

a crappy diet verses a healthy diet won't really change how you look while bulking.
    That would be wrong. Body composition is affected by the foods you eat on a bulk.

mmm... discipline
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    That would be wrong. Body composition is affected by the foods you eat on a bulk.
    Really? Hmmm... I had always thought most of the more knowledgable people on this site had said the opposite. But I'm probably wrong, haha. So how exactly do foods effect body composition on a bulk? I'm currently bulking and it would be nice to know a little more.

EDIT: aw, wait. Found the answer in your sig. The nutrition mythology one. Good stuff. I didn't consider any of that. Thanks.
    Last edited by Spartan936; 02-10-2007 at 12:36 AM.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Not to say Lyle is the end all be all of nutrition, but I would bet he would disagree pretty strongly with the first of those myth buster article.

Meal timing being one of them... Second would be fat storage if eating carbs late at night... Again, another thing he would shoot down. Anyway, not to derail the topic, but just wanted to mention that.

Figured that I would address the specifics since someone might not know what I am referring too.

The Thermic Effect of Food
    I totally agree that TEF is important. This part I agree with. However, a calorie is still a calorie, which is why I have to dissagree with that article. Sure, protein nets less usable calories, but that doesn't mean a calorie isn't a calorie. It just means that the digestion process of some macronutrients use a higher percetnage of some of those calories.

Claims fiber cannot be digested and nets 0 calories
    Lyle has said recent research shows that dietary fiber is much like that of a sugar alchohol in the sense that it nets 1.5 - 2 calories per gram.

Large meals promote fat storage, small meals speed up metabolism
    Again, we are WBB have seen this argued everywhere. Most of the knowledgable people have said 6 versus 3 meals should make no difference. Small meals are digested faster, larger meals take longer. In a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter one bit for weight loss.

Eating carbs at night promotes fat storage
    Again, I dissagree with this. Glycogen storage is a great thing...

EDIT ** Those quotes above are not direct quotes, but were paraphrased by me. The document is written in PDF format, so I cannot copy or paste information from it. Thus, spending the time to address each point as it is written isn't possible.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 02-11-2007 at 03:06 PM.

I don't agree with some of the things in there either. I also don't agree with the meal timing thing. It's been in my sig for ages, though.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 02-11-2007 at 03:00 PM.

I don't agree with some of the things in there either. I also don't agree with the meal timing thing. It's been in my sig for ages, though.
    The article isn't bad information, well, at least in the sense that it would cause someone harm. If people followed that advice over what they currently do, I could only see good. I just think some of the reasons behind what they say are faulty. But, I am certainly not an expert (everyone knows this!) but just wanted to throw it out there.

Morox,

Here is what I would do, since I managed to derail your thread.

The first part I wanted to address is your relatively fast weight gain of 8 pounds. I am guess that you probably were on a diet before you decided to this "bulk". That being said, your body was fairly depleted going into the bulk. Your weight is virtually all water through the form of glycogen. You would find that if you dropped out carbohydrates and kept your workout routine the same, you would lose that 8 pounds within a week, probably sooner to be honest.

Lets just put it in practical terms, there is no way the majority of that weight you gained was muscle or fat when taking into account your daily calories.

My advice, however, would be the same as lot of peoples around here. Get a minimum of 1g of protein per 1 pound of LBM and .5g of fat per 1 pound of LBM. The rest can be anything you want. This makes the diet flexible, while at the same time covering most of your bases.

So, if you weight 180 pounds at 15% BF you are looking at aprox

75g of fat
    150g of protein

For a total of 1275 calories. The rest is up to you... Though increasing protein a bit more might be advisable...
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 02-11-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Banned
    Bull****. I know someone who ate horribly while working out and and trying to gain weight and he still looks great. He probably looks better than 3/4 of the people on here. So instead of eating boneless, skinless chicken breast every single day like people on here do, he ate whatever he wanted to to reach his goal.

You don't have to obsess over every single detail of your diet and count every single calorie. Belial or whatever his name is cracked me up making fun of the people on here who think eating natty PB instead of regular will alter your physique and make any sort of difference.
    Last edited by wdjuqi; 06-12-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wdjuqi View Post
    You don't have to obsess over every single detail of your diet and count every single calorie. Belial or whatever his name is cracked me up making fun of the people on here who think eating natty PB instead of regular will alter your physique and make any sort of difference.
    That would be my name.

I ate a cheeseburger for dinner. There was no olive oil or boneless skinless chicken breast involved in the making of that meal, nor were any organic, high fiber cereal blends harmed in the creation of my breakfast today.

I somehow feel ok about all this.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I don't mean to butt in randomly, but how clean the diet is will always make a difference.

For example:
    Regular peanut butter has partially hydrogenated oils in it. They don't have to report the amount of trans fats (or any other macro) if it's less than 0.5 grams per serving. Let's say it's 0.4g for the sake of argument. That's going to add up.
    Last edited by superhombre2k; 06-12-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superhombre2k View Post
    I don't mean to butt in randomly, but how clean the diet is will always make a difference.

For example:
    Regular peanut butter has partially hydrogenated oils in it. They don't have to report the amount of trans fats (or any other macro) if it's less than 0.5 grams per serving. Let's say it's 0.4g for the sake of argument. That's going to add up.
    mmm regular peanut butter.
    6'2"
    220 lbs
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Eat
    Sleep
    Repeat

I had a friend who took tae kwon do ever since he was little and he goes to the gym 3 times a week. But he ate as if he he's never walked in the gym in his life. Doritos, cheese burgers, pop. Everything and he was actually featured as a model because of his body.

I'm not saying that diet isn't a big part of looking great and building muscle, but guys like my buddy there makes you wonder some times.

BTW-he's got one of the most aesthetic pleasing bodies I've seen.

If you hit your daily nutrition goals (macros, total calories) it doesn't seem to matter much how you get there. It will generally be harder to hit those goals if you are eating pizza than more traditional "bodybuilding" foods, that's the catch.

I found an article last year than indicated the consuming more trans fat (but the same number of calories) increased the fat mass of monkeys. The first report I read on it however did not indicate the study was conducted over 6 years. After more consideration, the difference is pretty insignificant. All calories may not be completey equal, just 99.998% equal.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    That would be my name.

I ate a cheeseburger for dinner. There was no olive oil or boneless skinless chicken breast involved in the making of that meal, nor were any organic, high fiber cereal blends harmed in the creation of my breakfast today.

I somehow feel ok about all this.
    You're ****ing awesome.