The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    Need To Lose Weight for Boot Camp, But Keep Strength

    Hello,

    I need some help in forming a program that would, as per the title, help me lose weight while maintaining or even gaining strength. The dilemma facing me is Marine Boot Camp. In order to get there I need to drop from 248 to at least 233. I've been running 20 min just about everyday to help lose weight and cut back drastically with my diet. Can you help me develop a program that will help me gain strength while I am losing the weight. (The weight I have to lose is mostly fat, so I'm not too worried about losing muscle mass through working out.) Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

    -Bill

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36
    hey whats your job??? o yeah and good luck with the weight loss. have and have fun in boot

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    248
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78290

    ^

    There's a few routines in that link. WBBI is excellent and will help you achieve your goals. Good luck.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,039
    Im just going to quote myself since it seemed fitting:

    First things first, You need to get your diet in order. This will be the main focus whether you are trying to lose fat or gain muscle. To do this, you need to find your baseline. Start by going to www.fitday.com and track what you eat for a week (dont try to cut calories, this is just to see where you are at.) Take the average total calories for the week; this will be your maintenance calories (the amount of calories needed to keep you at your current weight).

    Next, you need to determine what your goals are (Cut or Bulk). If you decide to cut, decrease your maintenance calories by 15-20%. If you decide to bulk, increase your maintenance by 15-20%. Remember, these calories should be from clean sources. Its time to drop the unhealthy proccessed food. For a better idea of how to map out your diet read: What A Bodybuilder Eats.

    One of the most important things to remember is that you will lift the same whether you are trying to lose weight or gain mass. Your diet will determine how much weight you lose, not cardio. So pick a routine and stick with it. I recommend WBB#1 or Bill Starr's 5x5.

    Lift hard and heavy, and watch what you eat. Good luck.
    I'm right there with you man.. I ship out june 12 for boot. GL.

  6. #5
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    How tall are you? I've never been to bootcamp but I think you will have a hell of time if you weigh 233. And you only run 20 minutes a day? When do you leave for bootcamp?

    Anyway, you're probably going to lose tons of muscle during bootcamp, so I would stop worrying about muscle loss at this point.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,039
    Anyway, you're probably going to lose tons of muscle during bootcamp, so I would stop worrying about muscle loss at this point.
    I would disagree. Yes, he will probably lose some muscle... and alot of fat, but, calories are calories, if he burns an extra 200 calories lifting weights, he will lose more weight, and perhaps keep some of his strength.

    Its an interesting concept though.. If he drops 30lbs of fat and maybe a couple lbs of muscle, it will be easier for him to move his body weight, rather it be running, pushups, or situps. On the other hand if he gained 10lbs of muscle he would have more strentgh. In this situation i think just loseing the weight and trying to maintain strentgh is his best bet.

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member Steve-O-68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    23
    On your non-lifting days, do 18-20 minutes of HIIT. It burns more calories than steady state cardio, and is less catabolic. You can do HIIT on a treadmill, eliptical, do burpees, various Tabata protocols, etc. I wouldn't drastically cut calories, but would go with 200-300 under maintenance. Keep your protein intake high, and cut back on carbs/fats (still need some high GI carbs PWO to help with insulin production and protein uptake).

  9. #8
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by ancom41 View Post
    I would disagree. Yes, he will probably lose some muscle... and alot of fat, but, calories are calories, if he burns an extra 200 calories lifting weights, he will lose more weight, and perhaps keep some of his strength.

    Its an interesting concept though.. If he drops 30lbs of fat and maybe a couple lbs of muscle, it will be easier for him to move his body weight, rather it be running, pushups, or situps. On the other hand if he gained 10lbs of muscle he would have more strentgh. In this situation i think just loseing the weight and trying to maintain strentgh is his best bet.
    Like I said, I don't know how tall the OP is, but in 8 weeks (I think that's how long it is) of intense physical activity and likely a huge caloric defecit, he's going to lose a lot of muscle mass anyway. Because 233 is pretty big unless your 6' 5" or so, and he is going to have a hell of a time running with that kind of bodyweight. I don't see the point in obsessing over keeping his strength, I'd just focus on dropping as many pounds as I could as fast as I could.

  10. #9
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O-68 View Post
    On your non-lifting days, do 18-20 minutes of HIIT. It burns more calories than steady state cardio, and is less catabolic. You can do HIIT on a treadmill, eliptical, do burpees, various Tabata protocols, etc. I wouldn't drastically cut calories, but would go with 200-300 under maintenance. Keep your protein intake high, and cut back on carbs/fats (still need some high GI carbs PWO to help with insulin production and protein uptake).
    HIIT as a basic training preparation is a bad idea. Most of what will be happening there is long road-running sessions. Don't focus on retaining size or strength.

    Everyone I know that has come out of basic has been stronger and leaner than when they went in. Might not be as big, but definitely stronger and leaner.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  11. #10
    Banned Slim Schaedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by ancom41 View Post
    I would disagree. Yes, he will probably lose some muscle... and alot of fat, but, calories are calories, if he burns an extra 200 calories lifting weights, he will lose more weight, and perhaps keep some of his strength.

    Its an interesting concept though.. If he drops 30lbs of fat and maybe a couple lbs of muscle, it will be easier for him to move his body weight, rather it be running, pushups, or situps. On the other hand if he gained 10lbs of muscle he would have more strentgh. In this situation i think just loseing the weight and trying to maintain strentgh is his best bet.
    Anyone going in with a reasonable amount of muscle is going to lose a **** ton of it unless they have sweet genetics.


    I lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks and was no more lean than when I left home.

  12. #11
    Banned Slim Schaedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Doable Bill View Post
    Hello,

    I need some help in forming a program that would, as per the title, help me lose weight while maintaining or even gaining strength. The dilemma facing me is Marine Boot Camp. In order to get there I need to drop from 248 to at least 233. I've been running 20 min just about everyday to help lose weight and cut back drastically with my diet. Can you help me develop a program that will help me gain strength while I am losing the weight. (The weight I have to lose is mostly fat, so I'm not too worried about losing muscle mass through working out.) Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

    -Bill
    When do you leave?


    You are going to need to run alot more. Not necessarily for weight loss, but for overall endurance and conditioning.

  13. #12
    Senior Member dabaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    boulder, CO
    Posts
    204
    id say keep running, my older bro just retired from force recon in the corps, but lost several pounds at boot camp

    Thanks so much for serving by the way
    Currently Bulking
    10/06:150lbs---8.5% bod fat--------------------3/25/07: 170 lbs

    8/25/07: 163lbs---------goal @ 185 by (5/1/08)

    Lifts/Goals:
    -deadlift 370x6 (current 315)
    -flat bb bench 205x5 (current 185)
    -squat 265x6 (current rehab in knees, light legs)
    -lat p/u BW+50 x 6 (current 35x6)

  14. #13
    Wannabebig Member Steve-O-68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    HIIT as a basic training preparation is a bad idea. Most of what will be happening there is long road-running sessions. Don't focus on retaining size or strength.

    Everyone I know that has come out of basic has been stronger and leaner than when they went in. Might not be as big, but definitely stronger and leaner.

    I agree that HIIT isn't the optimal way to train for basic training, but he was wanting to shed some fat before going to basic, and steady state, long duration runs won't burn as much as HIIT will. Just my $.02.

Similar Threads

  1. Amount of protein
    By syntekz in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM
  2. Four Weightlifting Myths Dispelled
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 11:43 PM
  3. Kazmaier - Strongest man ever?
    By MarshallPenn in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-14-2002, 02:53 PM
  4. Proofread my article on weightlifting?
    By Jane in forum General Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-22-2001, 12:50 PM
  5. Junior Lifting Risks
    By Reinier in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-17-2001, 03:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •