Thread: Gaining muscle mass

Wannabebig Member

Gaining muscle mass

Hi.

I'm 154 lbs, 5'7 and 19 years old. The problem is, 90% (or more) of my weight is fat. I come from a very diabetic family, my dad and all of my brothers are overweight / have a large gut .

Edit: The 90% fat part is a boo boo by me, after reading around about this I think its probably 15-25%. Just it feels like 90%

To avoid that, I've kept myself at a low weight, but although my overall size is small I still have a large gut which I mostly have to suck in.

My goal is to drop most of this fat, and gain a lot of muscle mass (Say, upto 200 lbs) in the next 2 years. What should I do? Should I try to shed the fat first by doing intense cardio and dieting, and then start working on gaining muscle mass, or can I gain muscle and drop the fat at the same time?

Some hints about what diet and excercises to do would also be nice.
    Last edited by bonehead; 02-09-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Good news man - I can guarantee that more than 10% of you is lean. That is of course... oh my... is your name Slimer?

Edit: Back to business. Judging by your height/weight - you're not over 6 months away from looking damn good. Poke around the site/read the stickies/use the search engine.
    Last edited by Rock Steady; 02-09-2007 at 06:19 PM.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post
    Good news man - I can guarantee that more than 10% of you is lean. That is of course... oh my... is your name Slimer?
    LMAO.

No seriously, I have been reading around the site but I want to know what direction to go in. Refer me to any articles/stickies or just tell me what area I should look into?

Wannabebig Member
    slimers arms look pretty nice there, he must be doing WBB1

First things first, You need to get your diet in order. This will be the main focus whether you are trying to lose fat or gain muscle. To do this, you need to find your baseline. Start by going to www.fitday.com and track what you eat for a week (dont try to cut calories, this is just to see where you are at.) Take the average total calories for the week; this will be your maintenance calories (the amount of calories needed to keep you at your current weight).

Next, you need to determine what your goals are (Cut or Bulk). If you decide to cut, decrease your maintenance calories by 15-20%. If you decide to bulk, increase your maintenance by 15-20%. Remember, these calories should be from clean sources. Its time to drop the unhealthy proccessed food. For a better idea of how to map out your diet read: What A Bodybuilder Eats.

One of the most important things to remember is that you will lift the same whether you are trying to lose weight or gain mass. Your diet will determine how much weight you lose, not cardio. So pick a routine and stick with it. I recommend WBB#1 or Bill Starr's 5x5.

Lift hard and heavy, and watch what you eat. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Ancom. I'm not sure if I should try to bulk up or cut down. Given my current stats, Which will be faster to meet my end goal of getting more muscle mass?

I agree with ancom41, get your diet down and stick to it. This will be the determining factor if your hard work gains slowly, quickly or not at all. Include the big 3 (bench,deadlift,squat) and other compound movements into your routine and you will have great progress. I would say eat at your maintenance(calories needed to sustain current weight including your workout) and lift hard for a while. Your bf will drop and muscle mass will increase. Once you get the swing of things start to tweak the routine/diet to your goals. If the bf is too high for your liking, drop cals and continue to lift with lower reps and high wt to keep lean body mass. If you want more muscle mass you will need a caloric surplus, you will gain some bf. How much is dependent on your diet. Now get to it.
    Last edited by Can'tstopnow; 02-09-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Wannabebig Member
    lets see some pics.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the great advice cantstopnow and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Can'tstopnow View Post
    I would say eat at your maintenance(calories needed to sustain current weight including your workout) and lift hard for a while. Your bf will drop and muscle mass will increase.
    Should I also do an aerobic excercise (e.g jogging in the morning, on an empty stomach) or just keep it to lifting?'
    Last edited by bonehead; 02-09-2007 at 09:38 PM.

mmm... discipline
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Should I also do an aerobic excercise (e.g jogging in the morning, on an empty stomach) or just keep it to lifting?
    Yeah do cardio too. No real need to do it on an empty stomach though. Have a little oatmeal an hour before.

edit: I think the bike riding would work as long as you are getting your heart rate high enough.
    Last edited by Spartan936; 02-09-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Spartan.

Yeah do cardio too. No real need to do it on an empty stomach though. Have a little oatmeal an hour before.

edit: I think the bike riding would work as long as you are getting your heart rate high enough.
    He can do cardio if his initial goal is to lose weight. If this is the case, dont plan on gaining much, if any muscle mass while you are running below maintenance. Remember, everything phsyical you do burns calories, so you have to accomadate for that in your caloric intake calcs.

At 154 pounds, I wouldn't worry about trying to lose any weight then adding muscle. Just start adding muscle! The more muscle you add, the lower your BF% will be. Get your diet in check first. 5-6 ballanced meals a day. Figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current body weight, then add 250-300 to that. When it comes to lifting, use a full body routine 3x a week based mainly around compound moves like bench, pullups (or pulldowns), rows, squats, dead lifts, and military presses. For each push type exercise you do, perform a pull exercise so that you keep things ballanced. Rep ranges can vary, just make sure you get equal volume for each push/pull combo. Get plenty of rest between workouts. So, eat, lift, sleep, and you'll get where you want to be.