The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 133 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 4572
    Nice seeing you step to it that way.

At a boy. Solid session there, bro. 4-6 hours sleep isn't much but you're young and will still be fine. Just keep the protein high, get meals in before your workouts with plenty of water and energy will spike when you need it. 5/3/1 is a good program no doubt. There are a million great ones out there these days.

My only problem with following a program with designated rep-ranges, loading waves, etc. is that it is a little limited. What I mean is that when I feel like lifting heavy, I want to ****in lift heavy. I don't always want to do a 5+ or 3+ rep range. I have always had my best gains when I go with what my intensity level is for that day. Or maybe I have a pulled muscle, etc. and I need to back off a bit. I don't want to have to wait 2-3 weeks to deload and then start another cycle, etc. Or deload immediately and start the cycle over. Sometimes you are just ready to destroy some heavy numbers and other times you feel like some 3-5 rep PRs. This is why I love the old school Westside template. You get a Max Effort Squat and Bench day every week and a Dynamic or Repetition day as well. You get exposure to bench and squat in some shape or form twice a week. You can deload whenever necessary and bounce right back. On max efforts, you can lift in any rep range you like. The template is not set in stone and is always tailored to help YOU get stronger and improve weaknesses.

One other thing that I am a huge believer in is that if you increase your 1 rep max, you are going to inherently increase the amount of reps you're going to be able to perform with a lower weight. I've experienced this and it is no bull****. It does not always seem to go the other way though. Increasing your reps with a given weight doesn't prepare the rest of your mind and body for the load they will be able to bear. So that being said, I think anyone that is looking to get stronger should go heavy, low reps. Just the way I view it, no scientific basis there, just my own experience.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

biffed today... set alarm for 9:00 AM and something is up with it. damn blackberries, i woke up at 1 i will get in thursday and hit it hard.

lol @ flynn :P thanks for the motivation

coke - thanks man

K - I agree that theres tons of programs that could work. I see what you mean on how you feel daily, too, which has also come as a problem through the years of following a set program. Could you link me to the template that youre referencing to? Also - does this program help build muscle mass? I am more interesting in becoming built more than strength, but obviously they both come hand in hand. I still need to make huge improvements on my chest and lateral and rear delts, so would it be able to be edited to how I could use the best gains? The template youre talking about seems interesting and i wouldn't mind trying it out. Is there no deadlift in it? That would be convenient because this weightroom has minimal plates and bars anyways. Like, literally there is only 8 45 lb plates total, and everyone has to share. Also, I am almost always in the mood to do something like 3x5 or so, with lighter weight and higher reps, when I am in a serious depression like I am now. My 1RM's are weaker than hell, and since I don't feel comfortable pressing/pushing/whatevering heavy weight right now I don't know what to do. But when I get back up to my real strength like I used to be, I love hitting new PR's like I used to all the time. If you (or anyone) can help with that, that would be nice! Your advice is taken seriously and any feedback you could give would be excellent Thanks brotha.
    Last edited by jed; 11-03-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

For everything you really need to know, checkout all the articles by Dave Tate and Lou Simmons here: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm The basic template is here: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/dtate.htm

The concept doesn't just build muscle. It builds true muscle size and more importantly, strength. Check out some reads on the difference between sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy. In short, myofibrillar hypertrophy is what a powerlifter is really after. It is increasing the strength and actual size of the muscle. Some, including myself, consider this to be a more true gain in muscular size. You don't blow up like a baloon when you lift, you just get thick and strong as hell. There are so many benefits to lifting heavy and low reps versus light and many reps. Check it out sometime, it's sort of ridiculous. To speed up the gains, just keep the calories rolling in. Growth is always about calories and taxing your system.

Deadlifts are important. I get a lot of carryover from my squat though and so I do not deadlift every week. When I do, I do it on my DE Squat day, so I do not interfere with my ME Squat ever. The gym you are at sounds lacking, but I am sure you can gather enough weight to do whatever you need for the time being. As for the lifts, just be safe and smart. If you bench, do it in a cage or keep the collars off the bar so you can dump the weight if you get stuck. Use a spotter if you can. Always squat in a cage or squat rack, where you will have pins to save you. Deadlifts can be done anywhere. Use chalk, use a belt and I think you'll be alright. Don't let the weight scare ya. Mind over matter, bro.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Thanks for the information, K. I will look at that stuff and when I have the time give a reply and questions (god knows ill have plenty) when i'm done. Getting thick and strong as hell sounds good to me.

Disappointingly, I cannot make it into the gym today. Last night we had a conveyable freight of over 57,000 (that means 57,000 boxes got loaded between 14 people) and I was running at 122% (4070+22%) which is a lot of damn boxes and a lot of damn moving. I am STILL mad DOMS'd from mondays squat session. I've stretched every night and my hamstrings are still mutilated. No excuses from that though since it would be bench day anyways, but I really just need my rest. 4 hours of sleep last night did not bode me well throughout the day and night. Mark my words, I WILL get back into lifting, but it is a necessity that I must work my way back into it, and not jump directly into the fray!

Edit : Questions over Westside... 1) On Speed Squat day, should it always be box squat? I read that it is better for you, but does it work the same muscles just as hard? 2) What should the approximate rep ranges and sets be for ME and DE days? 3) If I dont have a thing to do reverse hypers on, what should I do? Theres a glute ham in there that I can do lower back extensions with. Thanks!
    Last edited by jed; 11-05-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    IN-

Solid looking journal- keep it coming.

Good stuff man. So I've read a couple different articles regarding the questions you asked.

1) You don't "have" to do box squats on DE day, but the thing about them that is great is that it really cleans up hiccups in your form. I think of the box as a training wheel and it's nice to put it to use on a day where I am supposed to be working on my form and speed or reps. It just cleans up so many little things with your form and you really don't have to think about it while using it. Definitely uses the same muscles. If anything it uses more muscles and is much more difficult than a regular squat because you do not get the stretch-rebound from the bottom of the squat. The movement is broken into two parts, sort of like doing a pause-press on a bench or even better, a floor press. If you don't have a box, there's a lot of substitutes you can use, but if you don't have a box, it's not the end of the world. Just do standard squats in that case, working on your form and speed.

2) For DE days you want to be more focused on your speed rather than weight. Usually 40-55% of your 1RM is a good starting place. The idea on bench is 3 reps in 3 seconds. But if the weight is tossing you around, beating up your joints or just moving slow, you should drop it. It should feel easy and like a weight you can kill when you hold it at the top. DE Bench is usually 5-8 sets of 3 reps. Some people like to switch grips around, but I don't. Usually you up the weight on your speed bench by 5% each week for a 3 week cycle, then start back at the bottom percentage. For example, week 1 @50%, week 2 @55%, week 3 @60%, then start the cycle over at 50% again. Again, this isn't necessary but works pretty well. Some people, including me like to throw in a couple sets at the end on DE Bench day of just rep work. So after my 5-8 sets of 3 with speed work, I do a couple sets of 3-5+ reps with whatever weight feels good to me (something under 90% 1RM).

For DE squatting, usually 5-10 sets of 2 reps is done for speed and form work. Again, the weight will probably be in the 55-65% of your 1RM area. Boxes are a great help but not necessary if you cannot get your hands on something to do them on.

ME days. It is important that you first find your 1RM or something very close to. The easiest way to do this is to just start doing sets of 3 reps until it feels pretty tough, then go to singles, moving forward in 5-10 lb jumps. This is fine for your first ME sessions. From there on, I always do my sets in the following fashion:

warmup sets with <50% until I feel good (at least 1 set)
    set 1 @60-69% x3 reps
    set 2 @70-79% x3 reps
    set 3 @80-89% x3 reps
    set 4+ @90+% x1 rep (add belt, wraps and whatever here as well)

It is important to mention that you should aim for at least 3 sets @90% and above. The more sets you do in the 90% range, the more taxing on your CNS it is. Some people say that you should never go beyond 10 sets in the 90% range, but that is a lot and I keep it under 6 sets, usually 3-5 in the 90% range. The idea is to not make huge jumps in weight. It's just easier on your system and gets everything primed for a heavy lift. The more sets in the 90% range you do, the less volume you will want in your assistance lifts afterward. On big days, you will probably be pretty toast and assistance will be at a minimum and pretty weak, this is normal and fine.

3) Don't worry about the hypers. I don't have anywhere to do them either. GHR is an excellent choice and any core work you can get in will only help everything. Chose assistance movements that you know will help your main lifts and others that you know you suck at and need to improve. It's all about finding your weakness and making it a strength.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Thanks godstrength.

K - Superb reply, thank you so much for the detailed info. Now for the question, if I only have 2-3 days to lift, what should I do? Squat is more important so I would do DE and ME squat if I had 3 days, but if I have 2 days should I do ME Bench and ME Squat? I will attempt to find something to use for a box for box squats. If they are superior to full squats then I will do them instead. How high off the ground should it be? Would an "average" height bench seat work? Sounds good for the answer to #3. I will get a 1RM for Squat and Bench soon, probably Monday. And deadlift whenever I can do it, might be tough though, I will have to find a "dead" day, LOL. When you say assistance lift, does it mean only a lift that works the same area of the main lift? Or just any other lift in general? Cause I would most likely do HB raises and dips for lateral delts and pecs. Or does one need to be upper on bench, and one need to be lower on squat day? Thanks man!!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I think if you only have 2-3 days to hit it, make sure to get both the ME Squat and ME Bench days in no matter what. If you can only get one DE day in, then choose whichever one carries you forward to the next workout best. For example, I can get away with squatting once a week but I have to bench twice a week or I will never make progress. Just the way it is for me. Squat may be "more important" but my strength deteriorates quicker in upper body, so that makes bench more important for me to hit. Follow?

Box squats should be right around parallel. It can be a little high or low and that's alright. 12" is right at parallel for me. It all depends on your form and height, but somewhere in the 12-16" range should do it for you on the boxes. Benches are usually a little high but try it out. Some people use milk crates with a board on top. Just be ready to get off that thing if it cracks, lol.

Assistance lifts are those that help out the bench on ME/DE bench days and help out the squat or deadlift on ME/DE squat days. Core can be worked on any day really. The template I follow looks something like this:

DE/RE Bench:
    - Speed Bench (5 sets)
    - Rep Bench (2 sets)
    - Shoulder Press of some sort (any # of sets with heavy weight)
    - Lockout movement of some sort
    - Lat movement of some sort (usually pullups)

ME Squat:
    - ME Squat movement (usually Squats or Box Squats)
    - Squat assistance movement (usually lunges)
    - Core work (1-2 movements for medium reps with resistance)

ME Bench:
    - ME Bench movement (usually Bench Press or Floor Press)
    - Tricep Extension movement
    - Shoulder or Chest movement
    - Upper back and/or lat movement

DE Squat
    - Speed Squats or Heavy Deadlift (if I want to go heavy on deadlifts, this is where I do it)
    - Light Deadlift movement or Speed Squats (less sets of squats if I deadlifted already)
    - Deadlift assistance (usually GHR)
    - Core movement

I rotate main lifts every couple of weeks and rotate assistance lifts when they feel strong and I want to strengthen something else or I'm stuck and am trying different movements to break a plateau. I don't really follow any set/rep range on the assistance, just try to get good volume in, lift heavy weight and get stronger. Same thing with core work. Do whatever feels good to you and don't be afraid to experiment.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Great, Keph. Great! Just what I wanted. So I think for monday I will do ME Bench :

ME Bench
    Skullcrushers
    Decline DB Press
    Pullups/Rows

Cant wait to try it out, looks like an interesting new way to switch things up a little bit. Never done DB bench before, but hear it hits the chest better than incline or flat. My triceps always tend to overpower any chest movement I do so i'll try this and if not i'll try dips next time.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Good luck man! Looks like a solid setup.
    Sarvamangalam!

SUPER workout today!!!!!!!!!! Haven't had one as great as this in a long time, even better than last weeks squat. I'm sure liking this Westside already! K - I hope you dont mind im kinda copyin yer format now since theres so many sets/reps it would be hard to follow horizontally

ME Bench :

Bench :
    135x6 WU
    155x1
    165x1
    175x1
    185x3
    195x3
    205x3
    215x1
    225x1
    235x1
    245x1
    255x1
    260x1

Skullcrushers W/ EZ Curl :
    65x10
    65x9
    65x7 (fail)

Decline DB Press :
    45x8
    50x8
    50x8

BB Rows :
    125x10
    130x8
    140x6

GHR Situps :
    BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx10

Wow, this workout was incredible. Gave me some HUGE motivation that I know I still have SOME strength left. 260 was more than I was hoping for - I was hoping to hit 245. I used wraps and those things really give me some confidence and great support. Decline DB presses felt great and I will most likely continue to do them or switch them off with dips every other week or something. I can hit pullups when I do squat day and rows for bench day. When can I throw in some HB raises for my lateral delts?? All around super workout and look forward to getting my schedule set up so I can lift atleast ME Bench and ME Squat every week!!

Also a little physique update - weighing it at 189.8 with sweats and tennies on, so I weigh what I usually have been weighing the past 8 months. I am starting to watch my diet more and the job is helping me get that nasty fat ive accumulated out of there. If I can manage 2x lifting a week I should be back into good shape by the end of winter or mid winter!
    Last edited by jed; 11-09-2009 at 04:20 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Dayum, the force is still with you dude, lol.

That's the way to do it, bro! Looks like a great session you had. That bench is still disgustingly strong as well. Throw your lateral raises in whenever you like. Just remember that you don't got to do everything under the sun to make great progress. I'd say stick with what you're doing for a couple weeks and then swap something out for your raises if you don't have time to do them otherwise. Now you've got a good baseline for your bench, so just start working it up in slow increments and don't forget to swap out your lifts every 2-3 weeks. Don't forget to deload when needed too (4-5 weeks)
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

WTF. You can still bench 260? Dude your a freak. Good to hear things are coming back for ya
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Nice man. How long has it been since you last worked out?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Coke, Dan - Thanks for the props brothers!

Vain - Thanks dude. It has been a while since i've had a serious session like that. P{robably over 4 months for a session that had felt that great, it really felt like I actually made progress in just that one session alone!

Keph - Thanks man! Glad you introduced me to this template, even on ME days I get enough volume in for sure! Sounds good on the lateral raises, i'll see what I can do. How much should I increase my bench weights by? 5 lbs for each lift that I did or something? Would the other lift for bench be rack press then? I will be sure to deload as well.

Thanks so much for all the support!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I typically cycle a max effort lift for two weeks. Three weeks is cool if you are on a roll. No more than that though. Yeah, 5 lbs up from last week is plenty. If you fail a lift or stall out, you can either switch the lift next week, drop the weight, or try fractional plates. I wouldn't try the same weight again though, it means it is time to change something in the equation. For max effort exercises, checkout the elite FTS exercise index for ideas: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=51

Some good bench movements for raw lifters like us are Floor Press, Incline Press, and Close Grip Press. Good max effort squat movements are Squat, Box Squat, Good Mornings, Deadlifts and the likes. I like to keep it simple and alternate between two favorites. This is a good article by Wendler on raw benching http://www.elitefts.com/documents/ra...h_pressing.htm And another good articl by Wndler here http://www.elitefts.com/documents/causal_friday.htm

Stay strong, bro.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Jed, glad you nailed a killer session on the bench there. Feels awesome I bet.

Holy ****! at the input by Keph. Fantstic. He is a classy guy.

What the hell time is it where you are?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Keph, really can't thank you enough for all the info youve supplied. Wish I lived over by you so we could have a session or two sometime, I bet that would kick ass! I will take a look into those articles! I'll also experiment over then next few weeks on which Bench and Squat movements I would like to have as my favorites.

Flynn - Thanks dudely, it really did feel great. Had been way too long. It is 0300 AM over here, I get home from work at 0200 and usually can't fall asleep until 0330 or 0400 heh. Unless i'm having a lucky night! What time is it where you are?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Ha ha, its 9.40 am here.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Ill echo, great benching after the time off!
    Sarvamangalam!

Thanks Zen man! Why up so early Flynn? :P
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Very good workout today. Weak, by all means, but good. Turns out there is NOTHING in that weightroom that can consitute as a "box" that I can sit on that breaks the paralell plane. So i'm screwed for now on box squats.

ME Squat

Full squat:
    45x8 WU
    135x4 WU
    155x3
    175x2
    195x3
    205x3
    215x3
    225x1
    245x1
    255x1
    260x1

Hack squat:
    135x6
    135x6
    135x6

Hanging leg raise: (I don't go all the way up to chest on these, not straight legged either)
    BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx10

Overall I was dead at the end and worked up a great sweat. It looks like my squat is around where it should be, since that and my bench have always been very close to each other. Plus i'm sure if I did it sumo style I could hit more weight, but i'm still a fan of closer narrow deep squats. Anways, I also figured out the weightroom is open on saturdays 10am-2pm, so I should have no excuses getting a lift in at least twice a week, and i'm going to aim for three soon.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Awesome session, bro. Bummer about the box though. I'd probably go buy/find a plastic milk crate and bring that in with me on squat days. They hold up pretty well for awhile. You'll hear them crack if they wanna break and you'll be able to dump the bar on the pins in worst case. Anyway, they are easy to find and at a good height. Give it a shot.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs