The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 138 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 4573
    Damn nice floor press bud! That was nice! I saw the arse pull off the floor as you mentioned but it looked minimal and you should be proud...lookin awesome bud!

Awesome lifts, bro! You're crazy for not using any pins, plates or boards as an escape measure in case you fail. Just got to keep the weight within definite limit is all. You certainly made all the top lifts there look easy. I'd say maybe try and pause a split second (not even a one-count, just a quick pause) at the bottom. Doesn't really matter though, the main thing is that you are getting stronger with however you do them. To keep the hips from coming up like that too, you can try spreading your legs out. Not sure if you're already doing this from the angle of the vid. How'd you get back into your old gym? Glad to hear you'll have more time to lift and live your life, bro. You got some good goals for next year?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Good to see you're still training, duder. Switched up programs? What one are you doing now? What happened with the one you were doing before? Your floor press was loud as **** when you picked it up lol. How's everything going with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Glad to hear you'll have more time to lift and live your life, bro. You got some good goals for next year?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Borrach - Thanks for the words, man! I am happy with the progress so far, yes. Hopefully I can fix the arse for next time.

Keph - Thanks, brother. Yeah I don't really have a way to be safe with the floor presses cause any racks that I have are too high. But I did check to be sure and I could dump it without crushing me, i'd just be in a pickle lol. Good call with pausing, I was thinking the same thing might be worth a shot, too. I'll try to spread them out more next time. They were spread probably 3 feet apart but I stopped there cause some equipment got in the way. I got back in cause my marine buddy Ian is home for xmas so I was near home also, and I had one of my other friends open it up for me (dads a coach). I haven't come up with any goals for next year yet cause my lifting has been so minimal and inconsistent. When i'm done with this job/reschedule the job and get a solid schedule going I will start up some goals again. Thanks for all the words bro.

KEITH!! - Hey mate Yes I switched to Westside, I asked K for a suggestion just to switch it up and help me get bigger and stronger and he said give Westside a shot, and i'm loving it so far. Even though all i've done is ME / DE bench stuff. The program before (I think 5-3-1) was awesome back in soccer season, but when I stopped slowing the lifting down and working more over the summer I started losing my strength and physique. So Westsides kinda my re-kickoff routine! Plan on sticking with it for a while, i'm enjoying it. Stuff is going alright at the moment... This job at the warehouse is really killing me, I can't live life and have fun, OR lift very much, so i'm going to try to readjust my schedule, or tell them to f*** off and find a new job. That might come back to bite me in the ass but whatever. I see myself being a lot happier after the new year. This week could very well be my last week of work there, this one or next week. And i'm not working there any more until I get my schedule exceptions. Thanks for dropping by, man. Very glad youre back!

Update on grades : B, B, B, B, A! I'm a genius! Haha not really, but was very glad to get a good set of grades. GPA is 3.2 or something. Really glad I could get a solid GPA with all the work I have been doing and class I have been sacrificing. Will get to all your journals in time, off to work
    Last edited by jed; 12-22-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Great work on the final grades, bro. Anything above a 3.0 is ****ing smarty-McSmarterson...or you just kiss some ass haah! I think I graduated college with a 2.7 or something. Doesn't matter in the end really.

Glad you're liking the Westside, bro! Milk it for all you can. Looking forward to the upcoming year.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Nice PRs on the Floor Pressing Jedley!

And it turns out youre a genius....... Well done with the studies mate! Worth any sacrifices that you feel you are making. Make no mistake about that.

smarty-McSmarterson
    LMAO....
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Looks like you are doing great in school, keep it up!!

What's with all the B's you slacker. You better give up the lifting and start hitting the books....

/sarcasm.

Good job!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Doesn't matter in the end really.
    Truth...work ethic and experience are MUCH more important than overall GPA...IMO...and it seems like you have good work ethic.

K - thanks for the kind words, bro. I know it doesnt really matter but I still strive for the best. I ain't paying all this money out my ass just to get through :P

Flynn - Thanks man! Kind words there.

Coke - thanks big man.

Bri - lol, I know right? Thanks for stopping by.

Borracho - good words and advice there, thanks mate!

Well Christmas went well for me. Got to finally have my family together, which is tough. Sister lives on other side of the state and works 6 days a week, Dad lives/works in Arkansas and is home 4 days a month, so everyone was happy to see each other and have a few days together. I managed to get an iPod Nano which was great. I needed a new one to replace my first gen that I have held on to for 5 years. Got 3 of Tom Clancys Jack Ryan/John Clark series' books, which i'm going to read the whole series. I have 3 out of the way already. Then I got a few gift cards and random things! Hope everyone else had a great and safe holiday.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Nice to hear about your grades, dude. Believe me, they're not overrated. Especially for me since I'm in a co-op program, the higher my GPA, the better placement I get. I ended up with a 3.7 which blew me away. You'd be surprised what you can get with a little effort. Glad you had a nice Christmas, bud. Difficult to get training in? Let's see some workouts!

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Thanks for the words, Keithy! That's nice to know they aren't overrated in some places. I plan on going to work for the government (FBI, DEA, BDS), I wonder if they consider GPA or not. Either way i'll strive for my best. Yes, sadly it is difficult to get training in. We had a huge snow/ice storm ('snice' storm) in our area, and I was cut off from transportation for a good few days last week. The college weightroom is closed for a week, and the old highschool one is open but every underclassman ive asked doesnt know when because they are lazy motherf***ers. I can only get in there when I get my buddy to open it, and he's not available 24/7. Hoping to maybe contact him today before my work week starts again.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Speakin' o the devil, got in there tonight. Took a deload since it's week 4 of this cycle, and i've had a flu bug the past week and feel pretty weak. Hopefully next week i'll be in full shape.

Deload DE Bench

DE Bench Press
    45xWU
    145x3 speed
    145x3
    145x3
    145x3
    145x3
    185x3
    225x6

Chins
    BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx10

Side Laterals
    12x8
    12x8

Reverse Crunch
    BWx10
    BWx10

Was trying to make this a solid DE workout then deload next week, but was so weak and out of it from bein' sick that I just took it now. Good news though, that's the first time i've done a 3x10 of BW chins for a loooong time. I'm putting up some vids of my speed for you guys to tell me which one is right... there's two different ways I feel helps speed and I don't know which works best.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Option #1 it feels like is obviously more controlled, and the descent is more controlled. Lockout i'm sure has more quality also than option #2.
    Video

Options #2 feels like it works speed more all around, but is more uncontrolled and unstable. I feel like I drop/smash the weight into my chest and sacrifice working on a solid descent.
    Video

Please give advice on this issue.
    Last edited by jed; 12-28-2009 at 09:55 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

still strong and smart even though you's a drunk like me and detard used to be eh?

I cant see the vids yet but I think by the descriptions no.1 is prob best. Its all about the explosion and force off the chest, but under control. If you are firing the bar up and down like an unhinged piston it is a waste of time and your elbows and shoulders will hate you.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Rick - Haha, youre still alive huh? Thanks, but I wouldnt go with strong or smart. Maybe 'not totally weak' and 'smarter than a few dumbasses'

Flynn - Are/were you at work? Check back later when you can see them to be sure. Thanks for the words so far.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

They dont look overly different but they must feel it. For raw lifting I thing the importance here is working that explosion off the chest but keep it fast down. The speed will happen naturally up since youre tryiing to throw that thing through the roof.

Yea it was hard to tell a diff..sorry bud. Either way you're looking good man. Hope you are feeling better...sucks to be sick especially during the holidays.

Your form looks great, Jed. Good looking arch and excellent leg drive going on there, whether you realize it or not. For the speed work, it's all about the explosion off the chest. So whichever form makes you feel that more is the one to go with. Happy new year, bro!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Thank you for the feedback, fellows. With Keph saying the most important is explosion off the chest, i'll probably figure it out now. Interesting that my leg drive is excellent, I never would have guessed really. Haven't really read into form much other than the link you posted a few weeks ago, K.

My apologies go out to my followers - i've had an extensively busy and hectic past couple of weeks and haven't been able to find the time to drop by your journals. My parents are going through a troubling time and I have been getting eaten up by work. I am really banking on this job being over by at least 22 Jan. Whenever it gets done, that is when my "New Year" is gonna start. I'm going to get serious about this stuff again when I get done with that hellish job that has made me miss out on my life the past couple months. I'll post up New Years goals, etc. when I get done and figure out where I am standing with 1RM's and the like. As always, I honestly appreciate everyones continued support. I wouldn't be here without you all.
    Last edited by jed; 01-08-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Keep the chin up Jed. Things will work out.

“When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure”

I never chimed in about your DE technique because I don't know much about it, but Keph's advice sounds best and I think the main point is to be as fast and explosive off the chest so any setup that you're comfortable with will do.

Good to hear you'll be back on your feet by the end of January. We'll still be here, bud. Looking forward to hearing about your goals and program.

I was starting to wonder what happened to ya Jeddson..glad to hear you're ok though thats unfortunate about the parentals...anyhow...keep your head up and stay focused on your own track and you'll do fine.

Lookin forward to the next set of workouts bud!

Hey man keep your head up and stick it out till your jobs done. Things will be better in the new year for sure!
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW