Page 140 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 4573

Thread: The Epic Tale of Jed, Conquerer of Iron!

Good luck on hitting your goals man. You got that s***!!!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Drink orange juice every day and you'll be fine. OJ is the best for preventing or getting rid of colds
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

First, those goals look awesome bro! Second, I'm super excited to see how your plan with the Westside template works out by spreading it over two weeks. You sound like you've got a good understanding of what you're doing with it now so good luck, man. The only thing I would stress is that you do those 20 reppers on your DE or assistance days. I really would do heavy 1-3 rep sets in that 90+% range of your 1RM for all ME days. I'm serious about that.

Glad you've got more time to lift and rest now, bro, you certainly deserve it. Hope school is treating you well and what the **** is an ice storm? We just get rain and snow here in the Rockies. I'm guessing your ice storm is rain in sub-zero weather?

BTW, awesome benching back there and don't worry bout those squats...you know where I stand, lol!

Edit: I meant to tell you that if you want to avoid colds or just speed them up and breath better, the single best thing I ever started doing for my health is using a sinus rinse bottle. Something like this http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php You can get them at any drug store or Target or Walmart. Just use that bitch everyday in the shower or over your sink before bed. Twice a day if you are sick or getting sick and double up the salt packets if you feel something coming on. You can get cheaper salt packets at Walgreens, like a 100 count for 10 bukcs if you buy the generic ones. Anyway, these things ****ing rule dude and are no joke. I haven't had an ear infection, cold or anything in over a year since I started using this thing, which is a miracle for me.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 01-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Hey bro, thanks for stopping in and your kind words. Glad you could be a part of the elite TJW. That's interesting about the gov., thanks for that info. Do you work for them?
    No problem man. I'm about to graduate college in May and then I'll begin working for the Department of Navy as a contract negotiator. The main reason I knew about the grades was that during the interview they told me about the pay scale and he asked what my GPA was. He said that since I had higher than a 3.0, I could get a higher pay scale. I would have to have my master's to start at the next higher pay grade though. Either way, I'm happy that my hard work in school is getting me more money. I'll keep following so that I can see how everything's going in your training as well as your career eventually.

Coke, Flynn - Thanks for the words guys! And it's not a stone rule, but there's only 8 or 9 45 lb plates in there, 4-5 of which are always occupied by the bench press, incline and leg press.. So if I find a day with no people in there, they'll let me.

Keith - Yeah man, colds suck ass. It's been getting minutely better by the day for the past few days, hopefully it'll be gone by Monday. I kinda agree with you on the 20 reps, that's why i'm just doing them to get back up to where I was or close to. Because i've done that before and I KNOW it is one of the best ways for me. See above for the deadlift reason; I will attempt 100 chins sometime next week just for you.

Bri, Detard - Thanks for the words. OJ, eh? Like Sunny D or the real sh**? Lemme know.

Keph - Hey man thanks for pointing that out with the ME squat. Now that I think of it, that's definitely a good idea. I just have problems when I see no or only tiny 1RM gains but hopefully with getting back into business my muscles will remember how much I could squat before and get back to it. Haha, yeah dude an ice storm is freezing rain, sub zero temps (obv), and wind. They can be a BITCH. We had one in Iowa a few years ago that got national attention called Operation Winterstorm. Cut power in my area for 14 days. I will post pics later, it was beautiful. You have told me the Sinus Rinse thing multiple times and I am finally going to get off my ass and try it. My mom also uses it I figured out and she said it works wonders, too. Thanks for trying to get me to use it before, I just hate sh** up my nose but I'm gonna try it! Thanks for the words as always man.

Gator - Sweet, dude. Thanks for that information, that's always nice to know. I have never even met someone who works for a Dept or Agency/Bureau of the Government so it's nice to hear some words from someone who does. I'll use that to definitely keep my grades above a 3.0!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

"Operation Winterstorm". I believe I posted these a few years back, but to those of you who don't know what REAL ice storm is, enjoy... :

This was a dead bush/fern/tree, if I recall correctly.

ICE skates, anyone?

I have a video of this phone pole snapping off and swaying menacingly... it's honestly creepy.

This car was slick.

Pretty beautiful!

This one is just strange.

Goinnnng up!

I guess I didn't catch it snapping off, but I watched it with my eyes. This is one of the weirdest things I will probably ever see.
    Video
    Last edited by jed; 01-23-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Awesome benching bud...and dont worry about the squats..they're a bitch You'll be back up there in no time with them.

The lifting goals are looking solid..what are you wanting out of this as far as BW goes? Are you trying to stay 185-190? Get heavier? Do a slight recomp? Or are you just wanting to lift and see what happens with your body? Just curious as I am starting to play with volumes and noticing some change in appearance for once...

Thanks for the words, bro. What's your name, btw? Yeah squats really are a bitch, but I know what I have to do to get em back up. Squat, lol. For BW I want to kinda do the same old thing, but try to keep myself a little bit leaner when I bulk. I plan on doing this by adding in the cardio type of stuff while getting in better cardiovascular shape at the same time. But mainly I am still bulking because I am still too small and my body needs to fill out the weak areas that give me nightmares (chest, abs (improving), obliques and delts), so I'm basically gonna bulk while trying to stay clean and lean until I am seeing real progress with the weak areas. I want to be a lean 205 by the year's end, which is "only" 15-20 more pounds. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what im shooting for right now.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Crazy-fine workout today, gentlemen, crazy-fine. I don't really even know what that means. But it was damn good!

100 Chins For Time (Progressive)
    6 64
    12 68
    18 71
    24 74
    30 77
    35 78
    40 82
    44 86
    48 90
    52 92
    56 96
    60 98
    100 = 20.377 minutes.

ME Bench Press
    135x6
    185x3
    225x1
    245x1
    265x1
    280x1 +5 lb

HB Raise
    20x10
    20x10
    20x10

Hanging Straight Leg Raise
    BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx10

Plate Rotations
    35x30
    35x30
    35x30

So the 100 chins was definitely one of the hardest things i've ever done. And I am gonna admit up front that my reps are more like bar to my mouth and not bar under my chin, but it's how I do chins so I am gonna take it for what it is. My goal was under 20 minutes so I missed it by 37 seconds. Bench was solid again and i'm happy with another 5 lb increase. 15 away from all time PR and 25 away from my first third goal. I feel I would've been able to hit 285 today but since I did the 100 chins first my lats were fried and it exhausted me all around. "Plate Rotations" for me are sitting on the ground, legs suspended and torso off the ground, holding a plate in both hands and rotating right and left to work abs. Overall a pleasing workout!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Killer chins + super benching = crazy-fine, at least for now, lol.

TJW
    Nice work Jed! Nice chins and bench. I hate those plate rotations though. Especially if you do them on the decline bench.

Great bench PR after those chins Jed. Damn!
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

damn! Nice big session..you're effin crazy for doing the chins BEFORE bench..I'd say 285-290 woulda been cake had it not been for the chins.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Thanks for the words, bro. What's your name, btw? Yeah squats really are a bitch, but I know what I have to do to get em back up.
    Its John....

The squats will come man...I know it. From what I recall you gain super fast on squats, then bench, then DLs...if memory serves anyway.

Sounds good about the BW goals..I think a solid 205 would be a good goal for you this year.
    Last edited by borracho; 01-26-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Awesome time on the chins man!!! Anyone who got sub 20 minutes impresses the hell out of me. The 37 seconds over is still damn impressive too, and it's close enough IMO. That was definately hard. Wait until you see how sore your bis and lats are in a few days.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Damn you for beating my time in chins! Well, that makes us even for contests now. We need a breaker - you're doing the dip contest, right? That's some awesome benching, dude. Pretty close to your all time PR. Do you work up to a single often?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Coke - Lol, thanks man!

Gator - Thanks for the props. Ew, decline rotations? I'll have to try.

Flynner - Thanks dawg; yeah it caught me offguard.

Borracho - Yeah i'm hoping youre right and that in two weeks i'll be able to hit 285-290, that would be nice. And yeah my squats regain really fast if I eat right, and then the gains seem to be like squat, dead and then bench. Although it will be more like squat then bench since I won't be giving deads attention for a while. 205 would be sweet. Thanks for the words bro.

Bri - Heh, thanks, man. I'm already feeling the DOMS for sure, but in some weird places too. Forearm extensors, traps? My lats and bi's arent even DOMS yet, and I fear the next few days, lol.

Keith - Hehe yeah I beat you in time but idk if i'm legit since my reps only went to my mouth. Yeah i'm doing the dip contest this week when I squat most likely. And yeah I work up to singles every ME session, if that's what you meant.
    Last edited by jed; 01-26-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

My biceps are so DOMS'd. It's been years since they've hurt this bad! Lats surprisingly feel decent but man my biceps are roasted. I was gonna squat today but I forgot my f***ing school ID so they wouldn't let me in. I'll hit legs tomorrow or Friday.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Haven't been following journals lately but wtf is it with you guys and chins? Also, why the hell did you do chins before bench?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Hah, Keith brought up an idea to start contests again and he thought of 100 chins for time for the first contest. Do 100 chins as fast as you can, obviously. You should participate, youre strength to BW ratio is awesome, I bet you would dominate. There's also a 100 dips for time contest too. I did chins before bench because in my sh**ty college weightroom there is one bench and one power rack. Obviously there was a line at the bench and no one at the power rack, so I hit up the chins.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Great workout today... Did the 100 dips for time and hit my legs and posterior chain hard for the first time in a while.

DE Squat

100 Dips for time : (progressive)
    30 80
    49 83
    60 90
    70 94
    79 96
    100 = 13.14.1

Leg Extension
    80x10
    80x10
    80x10

Cable Ab Pulldowns
    120x12
    130x12
    140x12

Super Squats
    140x20 +5 lb

Good Mornings
    135x10
    135x10

Overall a pretty nice workout. I ran out of time at the end, I was gonna do another set of GM's and throw another 2 sets of some type of core in there but oh well, I got the squats done. I was pleased with the dip time, I was shooting for 15 minutes. Think I gassed myself with the quick 30 reps at the start but it was good for the mentality knowing I was 1/3 done already. The 20 reppers felt awesome, and easier than 135, so I feel that things will be shaping up soon for the squattage if I keep hitting my legs hard. A good workout; going with DE Bench and ME Squat next week and then on to three-a-weeks.
    Last edited by jed; 01-30-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Really went at it dude, looks nice.

Wow way to **** on my bench pr by 10lbs. Its on 281 is mine in 2 weeks.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Thanks, Coke! Paul - are you working for strength/size now? If so, join the race to 300 with Dan and Borracho and I. And anyone else pretty much, lol.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Damn that sounds like a plan!! Though right now after my hiatus my max is prolly sitting around 250-265 =/

I'll try some singles on Tuesday during upper power.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I'm training mostly for size but strength is more than welcome! I don't expect to grow a chest without being able to hit a 315 bench before prepping again.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011