Page 143 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 4573

Thread: The Epic Tale of Jed, Conquerer of Iron!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I just shed a cyber tear when I read post 3544.
    Would you send me an e-tissue?

I feel the same way, jed. I'm back to the way I used to be too where one of the first things that I want to do once I'm done training is get home and p0sT teH wurKoUtz. We do need to bring back the humour. I feel as if certain people aren't here anymore or something which is why that died. I don't think so, though... I remember that conversation with Dan and Ricky. Good times. I think that happened as soon as I got off msn.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Flynn - Hehe We've all come far together, man!

Keef - Yeah bro it sure made me feel awesome that's for sure. Legs are really DOMS'd today. I agree it was a quick jump but I felt comforatble because I stretched for a good 5 minutes before squatting which I have never done and need to start doing regularly. I prefer lunges with BB's, although I may try them with DB's next time since it would be easier to maneuver. That's good your back to the old ways, too, man! I agree as some people (and we all had our droughts too) came and went it changed. But most of the people are still here. If Dan would take his skirt off quit being such a cotton headed ninnymuggins it would fix everything. It's all your fault. Dan.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

LOL @ Dan. Elf is a great movie. But yeah, he needs to get back into the groove. I prefer them with dumbbells because you can take them to complete failure and drop the dumbbells and become sizzling bacon on the ground. With a barbell, you have to walk it back and rack it. Wasted energy, IMO. I highly recommend you stay away from stretching before training. It puts you at a much higher rate of injury AND decreases strength. As strong as your last workout was, it still had a negative effect and hindered your workout. Just do a light, simple, quick warm-up to get the blood flowing and body heat up. Lauren (my fiancee) is learning all about this in grad school right now so this isn't just some antiquated myth.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Wow, Keith, thanks for that tid bit. Definitely learn something every day... My stretches were dynamic if it makes a difference, but I will stop as fast as I started now :P I'll just do warmups with weight instead, then, right? After the quick light stretch. Good call on the DB lunging, I never thought of it that way.

Upper Assist

BW Rows
    BWx12
    BWx12
    BWx12

Dips
    BWx12
    BWx12
    BWx12

Seated Lateral Raise
    12x10
    12x10
    12x10

Kroc Rows
    75x25

Reverse Crunches
    BWx12
    BWx12

"The Bear" BB Complex
    95 lb
    10 sets - "I-go-I-pretend" method : 10 second rest after each set.

BW at beginning : 193.1
    BW at end : 194.4

Just a nice simple upper assist workout... I'll have to figure out if I want to kick these up in intesity every other week, every week or keep them how it is as more of an light assistance/cardio workout. The BB complex was insane... I was going to aim for Keiths 20 sets but damn, I bumped it down after about set 4. I felt my food coming up on about set 8 so I decided 10 was fair. Crazy sh**, I'm going to enjoy doing these from now on.

BW was not a PR but I'm 1.9 or .6 lbs away from my first goal already however you look at it. I would imagine the whole 1.3 lbs added at the end was water weight from consumption over the workout? That caught me off guard. I'm confused as whether or not I should bulk to like 200 and cut to 195 to be at my target weight for the first goal deadline, or should I just keep bulking? I want to build my chest and delts, core and lats and (obviously everything else) my target BW for my life would be like 230 lean... Any advice here? Let me know.

Post Script : that BB complex got me itchin for some Cleans and C&J's....
    Last edited by jed; 02-12-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I've read a study that correlated static sretching with increased injury and diminished strength. I'm definitely no expert, but I'm
    not sure if. I buy into that. I usually do a warmup with some ballistic movements mimicking whatever lift I'll dof for the day, followed
    by some short duration static stretching. I tried squatting a few weeks ago without the static stretching and noticed no strength difference
    and my hips/legs felt like they were ready to pull.
    I don't want to hiack your log this was just something I found interesting as well. Maybe someone else is more familiar with the research.
    Keep at it man.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Wow, Keith, thanks for that tid bit. Definitely learn something every day... My stretches were dynamic if it makes a difference, but I will stop as fast as I started now :P I'll just do warmups with weight instead, then, right? After the quick light stretch. Good call on the DB lunging, I never thought of it that way.
    Whoa. Did we have this exact same conversation and you replied with the exact same words as above? I had the biggest deja vu while I was reading this. But to answer your question, I typically just jump rope to increase my body temperature and do a bunch of warm-up sets starting with the bar for the lift I'm about to perform.

The BB complex was insane... I was going to aim for Keiths 20 sets but damn, I bumped it down after about set 4. I felt my food coming up on about set 8 so I decided 10 was fair. Crazy sh**, I'm going to enjoy doing these from now on.
    You may not have done 20 sets, but you used 95 lbs lol. I think mine was 85 lbs? But yeah, that makes a difference. I just pushed through it. I felt like quitting at 10, but it's always nice to have a training partner to help push you through the pain. I have a love-hate relationship with the complexes.

BW was not a PR but I'm 1.9 or .6 lbs away from my first goal already however you look at it. I would imagine the whole 1.3 lbs added at the end was water weight from consumption over the workout? That caught me off guard. I'm confused as whether or not I should bulk to like 200 and cut to 195 to be at my target weight for the first goal deadline, or should I just keep bulking? I want to build my chest and delts, core and lats and (obviously everything else) my target BW for my life would be like 230 lean... Any advice here? Let me know.
    After going through a bunch of cutting and bulking cycles myself, I personally think it's a complete waste of time unless you live on your own and you have complete control over every meal and are able to track every calorie while cutting. Otherwise, when you cut, you'll lose a lot of that hard earned muscle and strength you gained during your bulk. I've done it so many times and at the end, of my cut, I ended up no better than when I first decided to bulk and cut. I tracked, too. I cut 1 lb/week and made sure it was slow and steady to avoid any serious loss in strength and size. Instead now, I'd rather just go on a very slow and steady bulk by consuming no more than 10% over my maintenance, and cut if I'm unhappy with my body fat percentage which hopefully will never happen. If I did, I would do UD 2.0 to a T. But like I said, unless you have complete control over every meal, I would just keep it slow and steady. I think you'll end up making better progress this way rather than doing bulking/cutting cycles. To each their own, though.

john o - Don't worry about 'hijacking' man, any useful information helps, I appreciate it.

Keith - Haha we probaby did have that same convo a year ago or something. Knowing me I forgot what you told me. Hopefully next time for the complexes i'll have my food digested better, cause that was the only thing that was making me quit. Yeah I was dying and all but I could of done 5 more MAYBE. Might of had to add some rest. Thanks for the words on the cutting and bulking, dude, that's about all I need to make my decision haha. Pretty sure i'm just gonna keep gaining weight till I get nasty fatty McGyver... But so far after 10 lb i'm still fairly lean and i'm giving all the credit to the minimal amount of cardio i'm doing, lol. Soon to be increased.*
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Hahahah....I-go-I-pretend. Awesome!

I agree with your sentimental Valentine's Day speech. :P Seriously though, WBB is awesome. I wish I would've started a journal a long time ago... My strength has jumped up a lot over the past couple months...Partially due to Mr. Wendler, but also due to you guys here. My first day of 5-3-1 I pulled 235 for 4 reps. The other day I pulled 275 for 7. I remember reading someones journal where they did 13 reps on DL for their heavy week, or something ridiculous like that. And I thought, WTF, why can't I do that?? So the next time I was in the gym I had new motivation, a different outlook. It really helped me overcome some kind of mental block I had that was holding me back. Anyway, the point is, I agree. The support, motivation, and laughs I get from these journals are nothing short of outstanding. All of you are awesome in my book. :end rant:
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Nice upper assistance day Jed. All you lean guys hittin' up the conditioning makes me feel really good. (sarc)
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

AK - Glad you found the humor in that one, I thought I was alone!

Flynner - Thanks mate. Lol @ the cardio... I'd trade your strength for my "lean"ness any day!!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Alright, after digging through my journal entries some more I went back and found some rep PR's and shyt for some lifts. These were all attainted using 5-3-1 last spring, which should come as no surprise.

Bench
    195x17 (BW) broke - 18
    225x12
    235x8.5
    245x7
    295x1

Squat
    225x20
    235x16
    245x13
    250x12
    320x1

Dead
    305x10
    320x8
    390x1

Mili Press
    130x15
    145x10

BW

Just thought it'd be a good idea for me to get all these big 'major' PR's in one area so I can look back on 'em. And I might start doing what Bri does and compile all my major lifts I do over a period of time into one post to easily compare. I forgot how much I could mili press, lol... Looking forward to smashing these PR's soon. I also beleive that after this first 1/3 of the year and meeting my goals i'm going to go back to 5-3-1 routine... I had never experienced gains better than what I experienced on that routine, and I loved it, too. But for now Westside is treating me well and I will continue to finish out with it, and maybe i'll change my mind and stick with it. Also, whenever I get a gosh damned job, i'm going to start deadlifting again. I'm missing that sh**. Bench tomorrow.
    Last edited by jed; 03-03-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Snapped some pics for you all tonight since I know you've been craving some... LOL! These are at my last clocked in BW of 194.4... Enjoy, rofl.

It was the best I could do with me, myself and my crackberry. These are more for me than anyone else since these are fairly shi**y and unimpressive. I've looked literally the same for about 3 straight years now. Only really visible change for me is my abs are coming in better... That's all gonna change shortly, though.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Lookin solid man. And pretty damn lean for 195lbs!!

Those are some solid PR's to shoot for as well.

I think you will be crushing them all by summer.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Dude, those numbers are solid! I never knew you were over head pressing that much weight. You want to know how to get big shoulders? Start pressing that weight again for those amount of reps. Why aren't you deadlifting now?? I remember you saying something about it, but I'm far too lazy to go back and read it. I think it's because there's no room or something and you're waiting to get a new membership somewhere else? I'm also running westside for the next little bit until my strength gets back up to where it used to be then going back to 5-3-1 and staying with it for a LONG time. Mix that with some complexes and IMO, that's the best way to train, for me, anyways. Looking pretty solid, dude. I never would have guessed you're 194. Don't worry, I've looked the same way for a long, long time. Few years, at least.

No doubt dude, anticipated those shots, lol...seriously, seeing more vascularlity in the shoulders and arms. Legs and calves have always been a strong point. Looking good overall Jed.
    Last edited by Coke; 02-15-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Great session you had last time bro. Even got a complex in there and everything. Pics are lookin solid as usual. I hear ya on looking the same for the last X years. When you think about it though, our body weights have hovered around the same weight (about 190 for you and about 155 for me) +/-10 lbs as well. Obviously we aren't fat people and so we aren't going to look too different unless we gain say 30-40 lbs. Just the way it is. I have only ever noticed major changes in my body with 20 lb jumps in weight. I came to the conclusion that this is how I look. This is my genetics and I have things other guys don't and other guys have things I don't. Very few people have the perfect build and people like us look better than 99% of the population. And we will still look great when we are old. I think your goals are very reasonable and you will reach your desired weight. Keep searching for the movements that work the areas you want to be worked, bro. You'll find it. I think we all want those cannonball shoulders, Jim Wendler's neck and Arnold's chest. They are very impressive looking afterall. If only it were so easy to achieve right?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Great session you had last time bro. Even got a complex in there and everything. Pics are lookin solid as usual. I hear ya on looking the same for the last X years. When you think about it though, our body weights have hovered around the same weight (about 190 for you and about 155 for me) +/-10 lbs as well. Obviously we aren't fat people and so we aren't going to look too different unless we gain say 30-40 lbs. Just the way it is. I have only ever noticed major changes in my body with 20 lb jumps in weight. I came to the conclusion that this is how I look. This is my genetics and I have things other guys don't and other guys have things I don't. Very few people have the perfect build and people like us look better than 99% of the population. And we will still look great when we are old. I think your goals are very reasonable and you will reach your desired weight. Keep searching for the movements that work the areas you want to be worked, bro. You'll find it. I think we all want those cannonball shoulders, Jim Wendler's neck and Arnold's chest. They are very impressive looking afterall. If only it were so easy to achieve right?
    Good post!!

Actually, GREAT post.

You will see dramatic differences in your body even with a 5-10lb LBM gain. It just takes being LEAN to see it really.

Thats why we have to use other methods of gauging our progress while we have a wintercoat. If I cut back down bellow 190 and look the same as I did for my last show......I think I'll blow a gasket in my dome piece.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Definately looking shredded man, especially for almost 200 lbs. That's impressive.

Ya, what I do is just record the final working set of the 5/3/1 lift for each day. So if it's 3x5 week (wave 1), I'll just track the final set which is the "all out rep max" set. Because in reality, the other 'working sets' are just warmups to prepare me for that final set....so that's what I focus on.

Good work.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Thank you for the replies, my brethren.

Paul - Thanks for the kind words dude. Appreciate the knowledge you share, i'll consider knowing I have to be lean to see most gains from now on. I kind of figured that but have never really experienced many physique gains so I am unexperienced there.

Keith - Yeah man I didnt remember pressing that much either but it's in the archives so that's cool. Will OHP give me lateral and posterior delts though? My anterior delts are huge as it is. I do need to throw OHP in again though, I really have been neglecting it. I'm not deadlifting because there's always enough people in there that the 45 lb plates are limited, and there's only 3 OLY bars. If I get a leg day where theres no one in there i'm going to deadlift. And yeah, when I get a job i'm going to a real gym and will be able to DL weekly. Thanks for the words.

Coke - Thanks for your kind words as always, coke. Glad my legs have always been a strong point; if only they were as strong as they looked!

Keph - I agree with Keith, good post, man. I can see what you mean when you say this is how we're meant to look, and I agree completely. I just have a hard time accepting that, and am going to strive for more for a long time, until I am pleased with myself. Which we have all came to the conclusion of that being impossible. We'll all find what will work for us eventually, I agree. As with all things worth desiring and dreaming for, they come with a hefty price and long road to reach them.

Bri - Thanks, mate. Yeah that's a nice idea, don't mind if I copy that when I reboot my 5-3-1 come summer.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Okay okay... Had a sick DE Bench day today, not gonna lie.

DE Bench
    Speed Bench
    45 WU
    135x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    195x18 +1r all-time - BODYWEIGHT BENCH CHALLENGE

DB Press Full ROM
    60x10
    60x8
    60x6

Pullovers
    40x12
    40x12
    45x12

Kroc Row 60% BW Challenge
    115 x 0
    ... LOL!

Dips
    BWx10
    BWx8.5
    BWx7

Hanging Leg Raise
    BWx10
    BWx10

Crunches
    BWx20
    BWx20

BW : 194.2

Well, that bench PR was awesome to be honest. When I hit 195x17 last time, I was benching 225x12 and that was my strongest pressing (and overall strength) period ever, so that's a good sign. I think it'd be a good idea to have a BW Bench comp to add to the lists, so if anyone wants to compete go on ahead. You people who Kroc Row that much are absolute freaks. I could barely even lift the f***ing dumbell off the floor let alone row it with a single arm. Props to all of you psychotic motherf***ers.

Bodyweight Bench Challenge # to beat : 18
    Last edited by jed; 02-15-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Benching 195 x 18 is very impressive!!

Hahahaha... I LOL'd big time when I saw 115x0. Where's the warm-up sets, though? You just jumped into 115? HUGE bench, though, dude. You're a freak for hitting 18 reps. That's a good challenge but I never put it up because I know I'd suck at it big time, LOL. I'm probably good for no more than 8 but I'm in! Title this new challenge a new post and make it big for everyone to see. You may as well post your reps to beat, too. You definitely have me in this comp, but I'm shooting for 40+ reps in the rowing. Challenges are great for TJW, eh?

Sick workout. Now I feel like a bitch with my 135 x 23 lol.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Coke - Thanks, dude! I'm pretty jacked about it..

Keef - I did pullovers before the row attempt, and did a 30lb 2x5, lol... Just felt so heavy. Thanks for the bench props, it made me feel pretty good about myself knowing I beat an old PR back when I was pretty strong. 40 reps, holy fart, lol! Best of luck. Yeah, very good for us. I like it.

Paul - Haha thanks, man. I'm sure after your mini cut you'll be around the same number of reps for that weight...
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

NEW CHALLENGE

BODYWEIGHT BENCH CHALLENGE
    Bench your bodyweight for as many reps as possible and report back!

Deadline : Just don't take f***ing forever!

Scoreboard :

Kiaran : 21 @ 160

Jed : 18 @ 195

Keith : 9 @ 165
    Last edited by jed; 02-22-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW