The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 150 of 183 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 4573
    Very solid workout jay jay. Lots of volume there. Must have pretty good grip strength to pull off that many shrugs at 225.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Keep building yourself up man. Good work.

John(s) - Thanks for the words, brethren!

AK - Good call, I forgot to add in that I had straps for every set. I wish my grip was that strong. I pulled the first three without straps and dropped it on the pins, lawl! Thanks for the words d00d.

Stabilization day today. Mchicia gave me some great stretches to do, so i'm stretching every night and doing this stabilization stuff; hopefully it starts to get better than 'normal' soon.

LB = Low Bar

LB Ultra Wide Squats
    45x10

LB GM Squats
    45x10

LB Box Squats
    45x10

LB Wide GM's
    45x10

Bulgarian Splits
    BWx10

Single Led Deads
    BWx10

Cable Abductor Pull
    10x10

Cable Adductor Pull
    10x15

Cable Flexor Pull
    10x10

Cable Extensor Pull
    10x10

Cable Deadlift
    150x10

Uber-stretching.

Workout was awesome. The cable pulls were really great, and the squatting and GM type stuff I can really feel is going to help with my form. Single leg deads are brutal, I suggest y'all try 'em if you like. Actually, I suggest everyone work on their stabilizers, or something painful is possible to come out of not doing it. Wish I would've realized this sooner, even if this is not going to heal my back.

Think I am going to start adding protein shakes to meet at least 150g protein/day but aim for 200 a day since that's my BW, and also cut down on the cals to around 3000-3100 instead of 3500+. I am seeing gains in my chest which is great, but also seeing some nasty cellulite type stuff form up on my sides around my obliques. Hopefully with the small cut in cals plus the warm weather starting, I will be able to cut down that fat and start up a dirty bulk again. I suppose it's about time to clean it up for a while, i've gained I think 15+ lbs in the past 2-3 months. Regardless, my main focus is still keeping my back in check and gaining flexibility and strength in the stabilizers.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wow, way to be going at it dude.

Sounds good, bud. Glad to see your main focus is keeping your back healthy. Why go through these cutting/dirty bulking cycles? If you're already seeing unnecessary fat and you're unhappy about it, why get to your desired BF%, then dirty bulk again? That's pointless, IMO. I'm pretty sure I've talked to you about this before, but most people end up losing their hard-earned muscle gains once they cut, unless you do it very carefully. I've lost it over and over again when I used to do that in the past with a standard caloric deficit of 1 lb/week loss. Why not just get to your ideal BF range, and eat just over maintenance throughout the year? Progress will be slower, but you'll be happier overall considering you care about your physique. That's what I do now and I'm much happier doing it this way now.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Thanks coke. Keith, that's what I mean, bro. No way in hell am I cutting, lawl. I'm just knocking down the calories some and adding more protein. It isn't a cut, i'm just trying to slow down the fat gain. 3100 is more than enough to maintain for me. I know that for a fact because 75% of my past 2 months were 3300-3400 calories/day and I still gained fat and muscle. It almost is what you say, a just-over-maintenance diet. If i'm seeing fat loss and muscle gain from doin' it this way, then i'll stay with that. Does that make sense? I want it to, if you still think it's a cut let me know why, etc. I appreciate your input brother.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Ah, gotcha. You won't be able to see muscle gain AND fat loss since you're not a noob anymore, but if you wanted to achieve both, you'd have to do a carb manipulation type diet like UD 2.0. But that's why I recommend doing something that's just over maintenance so muscle gain is slow, but achievable.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

If you've gained over 15 lbs in 2-3 months, I'd definitely slow the bulk down.

Fantastic session Jed!

Hey jed,

Just checking in. Glad to see the training on track after/with the back trouble. You guys and your challenges too. Damn. I don t think I would have a chance even if it was a LBM bench challenge, ha!

I am sure the DB rows at the end felt great as the LAST exercise, lol.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Keith - Thanks for the words man, you are always great insight. Would I see fat gain if I took my skirt off and actually started hitting some cardio? Or would that incorporate fat AND muscle loss? I think I've got UD 2.0 laying around somewhere... I will have to check it out. Thanks as always duder.

John o - Thanks, man! Do you have a journal?

Flynner - Good to see you, m8. Yeah they felt awesome -_- lol!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Yeah, check out UD 2.0 and read it over and over if you have to in order to understand it. It can be complicated, but it's worth looking into to understand how everything works. You can do cardio if you want, but know that you don't have to. With regards to fat loss, if you burn 500 calories via cardio, that's no difference from reducing your caloric intake by 500 calories. If you find yourself starving when you cut and want to avoid that, sure, add in some cardio. Muscle loss will happen in any typical deficit whether you're doing cardio or not. If you want to avoid that, I'd really look into UD 2.0.

Appreciate the response there. I am on page 25 of UD2. It's a lot to take in already. Do you suggest reading the whole thing whole after whole, or like the same chapter 5 times in a row and move on to the next? Good point with the cardio vs. caloric deficit thing, too. See why I need you people? ( -_- )
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

John o - Thanks, man! Do you have a journal?

John O's log to 1,607...... I'm working out a back issue myself.

Great DE day today.

Varied Grip Bench Presses W - Wide, C - Close, N - Normal
    W 135x5
    N 135x5
    C 135x5
    Speed:
    W 155x5
    N 155x5
    C 155x5
    Pause:
    W 185x5
    N 185x5
    C 185x5
    Rep:
    N 185x15

Decline DB Press
    45x10
    45x10
    45x10

HB Raise
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10

H Rolls
    12x10
    12x10
    12x10

Cable Tricep Pushdown
    150x10
    150x9.5 (fail)
    150x8 (fail)

Overall a spendid workout... Pleased with the 185x15 after all those reps prior to. The bench form was not full-force, but feet were on the ground and was tight all around, just not a strong big arch. Back almost had no pain, and no sharp pain at all. Good sh**, will be getting to journals sometime soon.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

very nice workout bud...lookin good!

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Appreciate the response there. I am on page 25 of UD2. It's a lot to take in already. Do you suggest reading the whole thing whole after whole, or like the same chapter 5 times in a row and move on to the next? Good point with the cardio vs. caloric deficit thing, too. See why I need you people? ( -_- )
    Depends on how you learn best. What do you do when you study? I prefer to read the same chapter/page over until I thoroughly understand it. Hey, we all need help in different areas! I know I sure do. I'm so lost with what to do with my life at the moment and that really sucks when you're 23, engaged and want to do a million things with your life right NOW.

Workout looks interesting but good. I'm glad you're enjoying it, and most importantly... NO PAIN!

Yeah, that 185x15 by that point is a quality set. More importantly, the back wasn't an issue.

Damn dude, you do some interesting workouts in here....all this stabilization and grip-switching stuff sounds really cool. It sounds like an awesome idea because you're hitting all different types of angles, and training all possible weaknesses....very cool!!!

The 185x15 is impressive too man!!! Good job!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Thanks borracho!

Keef - Usually the way I study is read the whole thing over and over again until I memorize the whole, or most of, the 'thing'. Everytime I re-read I skip the things I am certain of. So I will attempt doing this with the 80 pages, lawl. Give me a few years. Yeah the workouts arent necessarily the most solid, but they feel good and like you said, arent giving me much pain.

john o - Thanks dudely. Right on with the back!

Bri - Heh, thanks man. It really is actually fun, the stabilizing stuff, you should give it a try if you ever have time. I encourage everyone to strengthen this stuff.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Jed, great DE session.

just not a strong big arch
    Dude, dont worry about this. You dont HAVE to have a big arch. Just as long as you can get leg drive and keep tight. Bigger more exaggerated arch does not mean bigger bench.

Good deal trying out the 5 rep DE benching instead of 3. I might give that a blast. Gets it out of the way quicker and you dont have to set up as many times, lol.......actually thats a great point. Not having to sep as many times. I like it.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks Flynntastic. I wasn't worried about the arch, but the keyword there was 'strong'. I know I don't really need a big one, but it helps when it's really strong and tight, like you say. And when I really sqeeze my arch and make it hardcore tight n stuff, it still messes with my back just a little, so i'm staying away from that as much as I can for just a few weeks more. And yeah, I enjoy doing the 5 reps of speed vs. 3. To be honest, at that small of weight, I can do the same speed for 10-15 reps before I even start slowing down, so why not go with 5?

Very solid workout today.

Wide Grip Pullups (straps)
    BWx9
    BWx6
    BWx4
    BWx4
    BWx2
    Total : 25 PR total for full ROM Wide Pullups

Kroc Rows (straps)
    65x25
    65x20

DB Curlszszz
    30x10
    30x8 (fail)

BB Shruggage (straps)
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10

Seated Cable Row
    100x10
    100x10
    100x10

Stretched and GTFO.

BW : 200.8 w/ sweats, sneaks, and a tee. +.4 lb

Great workout there, mates. The pullups were damn solid... A few reps were grinders and didn't quite get chin over, but they were damn close. Pretty sure my back is getting stronger, cause I used to have a tough time hitting 6-7 wide pullups w/ that 65% ROM stuff. KrOcZ were rape, I honestly think all you f***ers that do 130x20 or stuff like that are f***ing insane motherf***ers. Curls were pretty gay; shrugs were solid, have been neglecting my neck and traps for a long time. Small tweak in back from cleaning 135 up to the rack pins, but with very much relief it dispersed within a matter of minutes. Ended with cable rows... Felt damn solid on those, I looked like Ahhnuld in duh mirrah, get to thuh choppa!!

Proceeding to drop the fat in my diet to 100g or under a day. I'll accept 105-110, but with this cellulite stuff popping up in some places, i'm going to tone down the caloric intake by just a small amount, and definitely the fat intake. My average fat has been around 150-160 per day lately, so taking 50g of that away will definitely help. Also getting at least 170g of protein (170 LBM @ 200 lb, thanks Keith) a day, and increasing the carbs. Will surely be seeing strength gains, cause i'm just mainly concentrating on lowering fat intake.
    Last edited by jed; 04-07-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

good arnold empression via text

And WTF with the straps bud?! Get that **** outta there. Aside from that, good game bro

Dude, my grip is total weaksauce. Plus, the pullup bar is sleek and shiny, and tape is not allowed. There's no cheese grater texture on it for grip, and chalk pretty much just slides off too. But that's my only excuse, other than that my grip gave after 4 reps of 225 shrugs the other week, and it starts to give after 15-20 reps of 60+ on Krocs. I figured all the chins and sh** I do would leave me with a fairly strong grip, but maybe it's because I haven't pulled heavy for over a year?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW