Page 151 of 183 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 4573

Thread: The Epic Tale of Jed, Conquerer of Iron!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Dude, dont worry about this. You dont HAVE to have a big arch. Just as long as you can get leg drive and keep tight. Bigger more exaggerated arch does not mean bigger bench.
    Zuh?

Of course it does. The bigger arch, the shorter ROM. Do you bench more weight with a 1 board or 2 board?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

First off, hell of a workout. As far as straps there are different schools of thought and it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Straps allow most people to lift heavier weights, which in turn develops stronger muscle. However, in a meet straps aren't allowed and grip weakness should be worked on anyway. I have the same problem. In the past I split the difference. No straps on deads as heavy as I could go, then onto straps. Progressively I upped the weight sans straps. Kroc rows are great for grip, but without straps. I don't use straps any more because I just decided the grip issue really needed to be addressed and I might as well do it now. It just depends on what your goals are. Give some hex holds, farmer's walks, static holds, etc. a shot. Just a few sets a week helps.

Keith - You get my PM?

John - Thanks for the words, dude. In your examples I can say I am more concerned with the 'bigger, stronger muscles' outcome other than the 'cant use in competition' outcome, because I don't plan on competing anytime soon. I do, however, agree with you that it needs to be addressed. I will try to not used chalk on the Krocs, it's just that the dumbbells are the chrome handled ones so they aren't cheese-grater style either. I'll throw in some grip work now, thanks for the thoughts man.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

No doubt, fine stuff there for both days.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Zuh?

Of course it does. The bigger arch, the shorter ROM. Do you bench more weight with a 1 board or 2 board?
    Of course but if you cant get a huge arch its not the end of the world. Since I started benching flat footed I lost a lot of my arch however I can now bench the same, if not more now than I did on my toes. I would rather have the pressing power over one or two inches........lol, I say that now.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Increase the volume on the chins, dood! I swear doing that has made my back a lot stronger. Straps are fine. Knowing you and what you want out of training, you should use them when you need to so you can use more weight for the targeted muscle being trained instead of using less weight and training your grip at the same time. With that said, your grip must be teH wEEk if you're using straps for a 65 lb dumbbell and double overing 225 in your hands. You're right, though, once you start pulling heavy again, you won't need straps for that kind of weight, I'm sure of it.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Coke - Thanks, brother!

Keith - I'm trying to increase the volume, man! All of those sets were to failure... Unless you mean do a ton of sets of 1 rep, to make like 30 or 35 total? Good point w/ the straps and grip, and I agree, although I will still be working on it. Thanks for the words.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

LOL, I know, I know, I'm just ragging on you. Don't push yourself to failure with every set because you'll burn yourself very quickly which will limit the amount of volume you'll be able to do otherwise. You can do a bunch of sets of 1 rep, you can do sets of 4, whatever you want. But I find that not pushing yourself to failure is the key with chins and plenty of volume. Save failure for the final set only.

Hmmm... Good call. I like to usually aim for 3 sets of 10 and go till failure until then. I will try this out next time and see how it works. How are my kroc row sets/reps? Should I be doing 3 sets of 15 instead or something? I see you usually do a couple 4-5 sets.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Yeah, I need quite a warm up before I shoot for 130-150 for as many as possible. Remember dude, it's 1 all-out set. Do whatever you have to do to warm up for that lift, then unleash hell! With your strength, I don't think you need much of a warm up for 65 lbs, but I'd maybe throw a set with 55 lbs, then do 65 for as many as possible. Dude, I know you have A LOT more weight in you with those. Once you learn to literally use your entire body with this exercise, you'll doubling that weight in no time. I get my entire body incredibly tight before I start the initial pull and it stays that way the entire time, instead of what you see most dudes in the gym doing, which is just using your lats and biceps to bring the dumbbell up. I really use my whole body for this exercise. Record yourself doing them if you can.

Okay, 1 all out set I should be able to hit a little bit heavier weight, then... I will watch vids of you and others who have them up and compare my form to all of yours. I definitely use mid back, bi's, lats and some oblique/core when i'm doing them. Thanks for the advice... You should put 'Jed's pro advice giver' under your name.

Okay, after watching your last 150x10 row video, I honestly do it the same as you. So I will try to go a bit heavier, and just use warmup sets prior to the all out one, and see how it turns out.
    Last edited by jed; 04-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

LOL @ Jed's pro advice giver. I honestly spend far too much time on here. I'm such a whore in your journal. You do it just like mine? Do you do them standing like that? I just started doing this. I've always done them on a bench. Just keep increasing week by week, either by weight or reps, and don't let it intimidate you. You see how nuts Kroc gets before he does it, think like he acts before your last set.

Keith may have hydrolics in his upper back.

Just keep adding as much you can week to week. Thats the most simple way but I am sure you know that.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Yeah Keith, I do it standing like that and everything... Sounds good, thanks for the words both of you, expect to see increasing numbers soon.

Stabilization day yesterday was good.

BB Wide Squats
    45x10

BB GM Squats
    45x10

BB Box Squat
    45x10

BB Wide GM
    65x10

BB Walking Lunges
    65x20 steps

Dimmel (sp?) Deads
    65x30

Quadrapedal Glute Ham
    10 each

Cable Pulls
    10 lb x10 Flex, Ext, Add, Ab

Bulg Splits
    BWx10

15 mins stretching

BW 199.2

Felt awesome, another great workout. I really suggest y'all throw in a couple of these movements if you are looking for some added support on squats and deads. That's about all i've got to say!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Glad the workouts are making a difference Jed.

All that **** will do the trick, super session dude.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!

Today was an extraordinary workout indeed.

Bench Press
    45 warmup
    135x8
    185x3 Add Wraps
    225x5
    225x5
    225x5
    225x5
    225x5
    ... RAPE.

Incline DB Press
    60x10
    60x8 (fail)
    60x8 (fail)

Standing Bent Laterals
    20's x10
    20's x10
    20's x10

199.4 BW

And done. This was a fine workout! Was going to try some heavy stuff on the press, but 225 went up so smoothly that I decided to hit 5 for the first set, and then see if I could knock out a 5x5. I smashed it! The last set I had 7-8 reps in me, even, which is awesome. With all the back issues and stuff, my bench seems to have maintained strength if not gotten stronger. I think my PR is a 240 5x5 or something back in the day, but I didn't see this one coming. Incline press and DB laterals were a solid sideshow to the main attraction today.

I have been trying to clean up my diet recently. My average fat intake per day has been around 150-165 the past few months. I am now focusing on a small caloric deficit (from 3500 to 32-3300) and a reduction in fat intake. I am aiming to score under 100g/fat a day now. I have developed some nasty stuff on my sides and lower back which I plan on getting rid of while still getting stronger. Gains should be slower but that's fine, i'm just cleaning up my nasty 15lbs in 3 months bulk to a 5-7 lbs in 3 months bulk.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Atta boy! Things are moving in a positive direction.

Slower bulks are the way to go, so good deal there...benching is outstanding these days.

Damn fine benching Jedediah! Good call on the diet clean up. I always feel so much better when I eat right.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Thats a super bench session Jed. 225 5x5 is solid.

Glad the back is healing up nicely.

That session with all those crazy movements looked pretty brutal...I've never heard of half of those before. I will have to give some of them a look.

Also, sick benching too man!! 225 x 5 x 5 is very respectable....I can't wait until next cycle, I'll be doing 225 on my wave 3 (not for 5x5 though). Good stuff man!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    .......were a solid sideshow to the main attraction today.
    Goofy bastard.

Awesome pressing bud, 5x5 @ 225 is solid for sure. Nice work.

Damn dude, 225 for 5x5 is just sick! I actually didn't think you hit that before. I remember you talking about how you really wanted that in the past, but if you've gotten 240 for 5x5, then maybe it wasn't you.. Great work, though, bud! How is the back coming along?

john o, Coke - Thanks for the support, guys!

AK - Yeah man I hear ya, i'm already feeling better / skins clearing up, etc. Thanks man.

Flynn - Thanks for the words, mate

Bri - Yeah bro some of the movements are crazy. I got almost all of them from Sensei's Squat RX vids 1-4, check them out. Thanks for the props, you'll smash 225.

Bor - Heh, you liked that one, eh? Was hoping someone would catch it. Thanks man.

Keith - I hit 225x8, 7, 6, 5 on 2-02-2009, and 225x5 + 230 4x5 on 3-20-09... That was the highest I got until I started 5-3-1, which I will be starting again here soon. So I guess you were more right than me. Flynn often hits the 250+ 5x5's I think. Back feels alright... I am convinced that it will never go away and will be an everlasting problem, so I'm starting to just suck it up now. I will continue these stabilizations and stretches for 2 more weeks, and if it still feels the same, we're going in for an MRI.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW