The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 161 of 183 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 4572
    Nine reps on your 5-3-1 day...****ing solid, bro. How much you think you're gonna bump the weight? stick with 10 lbs or go a little more? I hear ya on lunges. Things are brutal. Awesome job on the school work too. I failed Art Appreciation in college, lol. Took it twice to pass. I love art too...just didn't have my head in it. Really enjoying watching the progress. You still got Mils and Deads to go this week? I think you'll be happily surprised on those lifts with all the work you're puttin in. Proud of you, bro. Rest up.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

New journal title: The Epic Tale of Jed, Conqueror of Lunges! Nice job Jed

No, that sure wasn't me that told you to not warm up with weight on the bar, whoever told you that is wrong. Check out everyone elses journals as they all do it. I recommended you not to do static stretching before your workout, not dynamic. Dynamic stretching is fine if you want to do it.

Awesome squatting, buddy. You're really climbing up there. How did your balance and comfort feel with high bar this time? Good to hear you know your weakness which is your knees caving in. Drive 'em out and keep that chest high. Your depth looked much better this time around, too. It's easier to hit depth with high bar, isn't it? Good to see lunges in there, haha. Sexually violated??? And you know this comparison because...

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Awesome squats man!!!! It's a great feeling when you hit the reps you are going for isn't it?

I know the feeling very well about the lunges (or any other high rep leg movement for that matter)...wait until a few days from now. You won't even be able to comfortably sit down to take your morning s***!

Squat form definately looks pretty good...nice depth and everything, but as you said your knees tend to go inwards. Just think "Knees out, knees out" the entire time you are squatting, and that should fix your problem by consciously focusing on it.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Definitely taking it to a new level these days, props.

Love the vids Jedley!

Great bench and squat efforts. I have mised quite a bit.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Yeah I don't get it Vain. Or should I call you... Artery? .

effin dork..i love it.

Looks like every thing is coming along nicely jed! I am happy for you...come a long way in short time dude.

Woot, hit 4k replies

Keph - Eh, IDK if i'll bump 'er up any more than 5 lbs. 10 at the max. I'm loving this volume and it works for me, and gets me back into shape. Yes sir, hit Military today and got Deads tomorrow. Thanks for the words man.

john - HAH, I don't think i'm the lunge conqueror that's for sure.

Keith - Sounds good about the stretching. I have been throwing more warmups in now. I felt very comforatble with high bar that day. I guess i'll stick with it, I just wanted to try out low bar too for some reason. I'll try to focus on keeping my knees out, is there any other suggestions you have other than to just focus on keeping them out? I do that already. Every time I try to make something funny that involves homosexuality, you always have to expose me. WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME!!! Hahahaha. Smartass.

Bri - Thanks dude, yeah I love hitting more than the prescribed reps! Dude, my ass is seriously burnt out haha. I've had some trouble getting to the pot already. I try to focus on knees out already, you got any other tips?

Coke - Thanks for the continued support man.

Flynn - Thanks for stoppin by man. Feel free to throw in any critique you have for the vids.

Bor - Sure is coming along swell, man. Thanks!!!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Very solid session today...

Cycle 1 Week 3 531 Mili

BB Mili
    Dislocates
    45x10
    100x5
    115x3
    130x10 ... +10 lb, -1 rep from 120x11

BB Shrugs
    Add Straps
    225x10
    245x10
    265x10
    275x10
    285x10

CG Cable Rows
    150x10
    150x10
    150x10
    150x10
    150x10

OH Tri Extension
    60x10
    60x10
    60x10
    60x10
    60x10
    ... +5 lb

Damn good stuff. Wanted 6 w/ 130 and got 10. Solid day! Busy, gotta run. Try to get to journals tomorrow.

Video
    Last edited by jed; 10-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Damn good stuff.
    No joke, serious effort!!

Great overhead pressing, dude! What do you mean 130x10 is 1 less rep than 120x10? There's too many of you guys that are pressing 130+ for 10 reps! There's nothing else major that I'd recommend with your squat. Maybe try recording from a different angle next time because you can spot out different things from different views.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Damn man...that really is impressive as hell. I just recently managed to get 130 x 7, when I was always stalling at 6.....and then you go ahead and just SMOKE it!!!! Excellent follow-up volume as well. It looks just like my type of session!
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Awesome OHPs! Do you always do them standing or do you do seated as well sometimes?

Coke - Thanks dude-man.

Keith - My bad, I meant 120x11. 130 was 1 rep less but 10 lbs more than 120x11 is what it should've said, I edited it. I will film squat from directly behind next time, would that be a good view?

Bri - Hehe, thanks dude! You'll be there in no time now that you broke that barrier!

Bor - Thanks man, I always do them standing.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

F***ing amazing session today. Holy crap.

Cycle 1 Week 3 531 Deadlift

Conventional Deadlift
    Foam rolling
    Dynamic stretching
    135x5
    135x5
    205x5
    235x3
    260x13 ... **** YES.

Glute Ham Raise
    BW 5
    BW 5
    BW 5

BB Bulgarian Split Squats (BBBSS, lol)
    45x10
    45x10
    45x10 (10 each leg)

Decline Crunches
    BW+25x25
    BW+25x25
    BW+25x25

Damn, that deadlifting was amazing!!! Wanted to hit 10 and got 13. My form feels solid as hell, the only thing I feel like I need to improve on is the negative/descension part of the lift just adding more control and whatnot. Please offer your input on my form. I am more than willing to hear your thoughts/concerns. To be honest it feels great and I don't know if i'll change a thing, but all thoughts are more than welcome because I know everyone knows what they are talking about. Had to cut down on the accessory work once again because my legs were literally feelings like jello after the deadlifts. Great day. I CAN'T WAIT TO F***ING DELOAD NEXT WEEK.

Video
    Last edited by jed; 10-15-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Great job with the military and deadlift sessions!

Are you able to get a view from the front? From the front, waist line height on a slight angle is a good one if you can do it.

Great job deadlifting! 13 reps is unreal and exhausting. Did you increase the weight from last time? 13 reps on a 5/3/1 week is still too conservative, as you probably know. Increase again, haha. I'd say increase it by at least 20 lbs. About your form, it's fine, bud. You know you have to stay tight on the descent so keep that in mind and keep working on that. You're really coming along, dude. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks john. Keith, I'll try to get a view from the front. The power racks are right up close to the wall but if i'm able to drag it out from the wall if there's no one in there i'll do that. Yeah I know 13 reps is too much. I'll increase the weight a bit for next weeks beginning of cycle 2. From 290 to 305 or 310 MAYBE. Can't jump up too fast. Thanks for the words man.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Cycle 1 Week 4 Deload Bench

Bench
    95x5
    115x5
    140x5 ... This set was a grinder.

Cardio : Sled Pulls
    90lb x10 yds - 30 sec rest
    Repeat for 10 Pulls
    180 sec rest - drink
    90lb x10 yds - 30 sec rest
    Repeat for 10 Pulls
    20 total Pulls

Done.

185 BW
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I like to get extra cardio in on deload week as well.

I was going to say the same thing as Keith about keeping the back tight on the decent as well. That's also pretty important to protecting the lower back. Other then that, each rep looks pretty nice. 13 reps is awesome man!!!! Nice work.

Also, with the squats, the "knees out" is the answer. Even though you said you've tried, that really is the answer, so you have to try harder, haha. Seriously though, put all your focus into that, even on your warmup sets.

Yeah, needa work on that still. Alright man, i'll try harder. I tried hard today and I still even did it some with deload weight...

Cycle 1 Week 4 Squat Deload

High Bar Squat
    135x5
    155x5
    175x5

Chins
    BW 5
    BW 5
    BW 5
    BW 5

188 BW w/ shoes, shorts and a t-shirt.

I'm trying to focus on keeping my knees out... Had trouble today even with 50% weights, lol. Trying to angle my feet out a bit more too see if that'd help but it didn't seem to make a difference. Tried to adjust angles of my knees or width of feet and still seemed to be the same. I'll just keep trying I guess; maybe i'm focusing a bit too hard? Difficult to say.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Steadily elevating your game, going about it all impressively!!

I'm trying to focus on keeping my knees out... Had trouble today even with 50% weights, lol. Trying to angle my feet out a bit more too see if that'd help but it didn't seem to make a difference. Tried to adjust angles of my knees or width of feet and still seemed to be the same. I'll just keep trying I guess; maybe i'm focusing a bit too hard? Difficult to say.
    You'll get it man. Personally, I tend to take a slightly wide grip, but when I squat it looks like my grip is much wider then it actually is because of how much I push my knees out. Are your knees moving in line with your toes? I watched the video, and it looks like you're okay on the way down, but on the way up your knees go inward a little bit. Just keep at it, and you'll get it.

Great to see you deadlifting and all again. Well cant actually see the vid in work but I will check it out later!!

Are your knees caving when you come out of the hole? Would be odd at 50% loads. Have you got a vid? It may not be as dramatic as you think. You could always use a band around your knees and lighten the load even more. This will train your to force your knees out.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw