The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 162 of 183 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4573
    Man everything is looking solid in here. That set of deadlifts was wicked. I love the intensity; I'll bet your heart rate was through the roof by the end, no? I have a critique though. On the deadlift, you are doing something very dangerous in the manner you are choosing to set the weight down. I used to do it exactly how you are and it is how I hurt my back that one year. What you need to be doing is treat the descent just like a squat negative. The hips ALWAY unlock first, re-engaging the lower back arch. Push your butt back like you are trying to touch a wall behind you with it. Then and only then can you go ahead and let her down with authority. If you watch what you are doing, you'll see your arch releases as you lockout and you never reengage it. So then what happens is you unlock the knees with a soft lower back and your knees almost look like they are in your way as the weight is coming down. Just think "hips first" when you go to let it down. The actual pull itself looks great, bro!

Glad to hear you're deloading and getting some rest this week. Weight is looking good too. BTW, your milies are looking very smooth. How are you liking them? And also, thanks for the tips on my bench, it helped a ton with my leg drive!

* Edit: watched your vid again. Yeah, you are almost doing things in reverse when you are setting the weight down. Watch your knees in the vid. They unlock before your hips do (this is bad) and then the weight is coming down and they slide back, getting out of the way (this is where your hips push back). You should push hips back first, then unlock knees and it will be a lot safer.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 10-20-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Deloads are for pussies!

I def. second Kiaran though on the dead descent.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Deloads are for pussies!
    This.

I def. second Kiaran though on the dead descent.
    I third Kiaran.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Doing well Jed. You are also getting some good advice on the deads.

Coke - Thanks m8.

Bri - What do you mean by 'in line with my toes'? Like knees right on top of my toes through out the whole lift? Way down feels fine for me, way up is when the knees start to cave in.

Flynner - Thanks for the words. They seem to cave in when I come out of the hole, yeah. I will try to get a vid up next week of squats from the front. I like the idea of bands, I might have to try it.

Keph - Yeah, I was about having a heart attack by the last rep of the deads that's for sure. Thanks for the in depth advice on my deadlift negatives, I will take that and try to use it. I know the way i'm doing it is wrong, so the more information you give the better. Sounds like I need to : 1) Keep arch engaged at all times 2) Break hips before I break knees 3) Let down slow and under control. I love the mili presses dude. Although I agree with you so much on your new routine change that I might have to give it a shot later on; military really only works my triceps and anterior delts, both of which are overpoweringly strong for me. Really glad I could help you with your bench dude, it's about time I offer some useful knowledge to someone.

Vain - Yeah f*** you, just cause I lift half the weight you do doesn't mean you can pick on me!

Keith - Thanks for the useful words. Hahah.

John - Thanks. Glad these folks are so helpful.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Workout today was pretty ballin...

Cycle 1 Week 4 Military Deload

Military Press
    Dislocates
    55x5
    65x5
    75x5 ... lol?

Cardio : 20 yard sprints and rowing machine.
    20 yard sprint, 30 sec rest in between, 15 reps.
    Concept 2 rowing machine : 517 M, 2:07

Never used a rowing machine before, that thing was pretty badass. Ripped my flexors and quads apart but I like the idea. Sprints were awesome, I felt fast and pain-free like my old self again. It has been a LONG time since I could sprint full-out with no back tweakage. Knock on wood.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Cycle 1 Week 4 Deload Deadlift

Conventional Deads
    135x5
    155x5
    185x5

Hanging Leg Raises
    BW 10
    BW 10
    BW 10

Decline Crunches
    25x25
    25x25

I worked on the negatives today on the deadlifts. Looking at the vid and judging by how it felt I think I have the right idea down, I just need to make it more fluid now. Please let me know what you all think, if this is the proper way or at least better way to do it.

Video
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Being able to sprint "pain free" is a big step you worked hard to achieve. I can't view the vid from my phone, but it's critical to maintain your arch and tightness. Going off of memory the last dead vids I viewed you noticeably relaxed as you brought the weight down and then tried to reset. That's going to get you all the more on high rep sets. You do a lot of things well and nobody has the perfect form, but keep working on it. By being tight you will be safer and stronger.

Bet you're glad to be done with deload. You got the right idea on the deadlift. Think of it this way though. There is no negative on the deadlift. Don't go slow and controlled on the descent. There is no need; the lift is finished. Just unlock the hips first and set it down with some authority. Don't be afraid to make some noise as it hits the ground. Then reset and go again. You will probably have to unlock the arch to finish the lift and drive your hips forward. That is ok. Just make sure to reengage the arch before you go to set it down. You did this on most your reps in the last vid, so you're on it.

Rest up and get ready for a new cycle, bro. Bet you're gonna kill it on this one.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

John - Thanks for the input, i'll keep working on it.

Keph - Yeah that deload was pretty lame I guess. Man i'm still having trouble figuring out what you mean then. It seems like when I want to set it down fast then I do it the wrong way like you guys were saying and unsafe way and stuff. Now I tried to set it down with 'good form' but I noticed it took a TON more energy which shouldn't be that way because like you said there really isn't a negative, it's all about lifting the weight upwards. I guess i'll keep working on it and get a vid up Friday of this weeks deads to see if i've gotten any better! Thanks for the advice mate.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Cycle 2 Week 1 555 Bench - 245

Bench
    Dislocates
    45x15
    95x5
    135x5
    160x5
    185x5
    210x10 ... +2 reps

DB Press
    50x10
    50x10
    50x10
    50x10
    50x10
    ... all +5 lb

Chins
    BW 10
    BW 10
    BW 10
    BW 10
    BW 7
    BW 3 ... so close to hitting a 5x10.

OH DB Tricep Extension
    60x12
    60x12
    60x12
    60x12
    60x12
    ... all +2 rep

Video

Done. This workout was pretty good. Still not happy with my bench whatsoever, but I guess that's what I get for being a slacker and not lifting for 6 months. I'm just happy to see I'm getting closer to hitting a 5x10 with chins again, and saw gains on both DB Presses and OH Tricep Extensions. Getting stronger little by little. Have been undisciplined as of late when it comes to eating... not eating enough. Was doing pretty good, gotta get back in business. I wish I didn't have to work full time and take 13 credits worth of classes on top of lifting and other sh**, but oh well. It'll help in the long run.
    Last edited by jed; 10-25-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

hey man i'm not really sure what your asking for, but your deadlift form looks fine. Not too sure why your concerned about the negative part of a deadlift, but it looks fine to me if thats what your asking. send me a message on facebook if thats not what you mean because i dont really go on this website anymore.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

About the deadlift, to add what Kiaran has already suggested, so long as you stay tight, that's all that matters. I just pointed that out so you'd avoid injury. Awesome benching, dude. You move 210 like I move 135, haha. Again, form looks spot on. Nice to see you progressing like you are.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

A bunch of little gains add up. Looks great!

Thanks for the words men.

Cycle 2 Week 1 555 Squat 270

Squat High Bar
    Dynamics
    Jumps
    45x10
    135x5
    135x5
    175x5
    200x5
    230x14 ... +3 reps I believe.

Leg Press
    275x10
    275x10
    275x10
    275x10
    275x10
    ... +15 lb

Cable Rope Ab Pulldowns
    100x12
    100x12
    100x12
    100x12
    100x12

Low Back Extensions
    BW 10
    BW 10
    BW 10
    BW 10
    BW 10

Video

Good stuff. Got a vid from the back for my squats, sorry I can't get one from the front, the power rack has too much weight loaded on it and I really don't feel like unloading it just to get a vid. It isn't a huge issue as they don't cave in THAT much, but it is a small problem that needs addressed. I really tried to focus on "knees out", but it's just automatic. I'm going to try to catch the Olympic coach next time I see him and see if he's got any tips for me. I added 15 lbs to squat from last time... Hit 14 reps... should I add more for next week still?
    Last edited by jed; 10-27-2010 at 12:20 AM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Yay, now I get to look at your ass! No worries about moving the rack out. The other angle you had before was better, but no biggie. 230x14 is bloody awesome! You're going to surpass me in every lift soon! You're already much stronger than me in the bench and squat. I would say increase it another 10 lbs, you did 9 reps over the goal. Great work, bud.

Thanks, d00dz!! Idk about that, you're pretty stout with squat still. It'll be a bit before I pass you in that I think. Any help with my knees situation? Does it look like it's very serious?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

14 rep squats? You turning in to a bodybuilder?

Try putting a band around your legs right at the knees, so you have to push against a resistance to keep your knees out. Do a few sets with lighter weight, just focusing on keeping your knees out. One of my lifting partners used to do that once in a while.

It's mainly mental though. Try to focus on keeping your knees out during the lift. Not a whole lot else you can do really.
    Last edited by Invain; 10-27-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Vain - I've been trying the mental deal so far, it's not working the greatest. I'll try the band thing.

Cycle 2 Week 1 555 Mili 140

Military
    Dislocates
    45x10
    95x5
    105x5
    120x14 ... +4 reps!

Face Pulls
    150x12
    150x12
    150x12
    150x12
    150x12

Arnie Press
    45x10
    35x8
    30x6 ... These were fail, lol.

Video

Kept out tricep iso and went lower volume w/ Arnies, elbow was giving me some pain and I didn't really feel like irking it further just for some assistance work.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

What the eff is up with all this high rep nonsense? Is this done with reason or are you just easing yourself back into it slowly?? Either way, looks like form on every thing is coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Coke - Thanks m8.

Bri - What do you mean by 'in line with my toes'? Like knees right on top of my toes through out the whole lift? Way down feels fine for me, way up is when the knees start to cave in.
    Sorry bud it's been a while since I've been in here. It means exactly that - keep your knees in line with your toes. Generally your toes will be pointed outwards at about a 30 degree angle in either direction. The front of your kneecaps should also point exactly in that direction. Keep them in that direction on the way up too. It will require some effort to keep your knees in that direction on the way up. In fact, it will feel like you are exerting a lot of energy in order to shove your knees out, but that's what it takes. You don't have to worry about your knees going out further then your toes. Simply getting them in-line with your toes takes effort. But keep at it, and your knees won't cave in anymore.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Holy high reps in here man!!!! I remember last year when I was first starting out on the 5/3/1, and I was hitting all those high reps too. Man that was KILLER, but very fun. That's why I always keep a log of how many reps I did for my final set of each day, that way I always know what I have to beat! Even now in cycle 12, I'm still shooting for rep maxes (unfortunately not hitting them quite as often though). Good stuff!

BTW, deloads aren't for pussies. F*** that! I train so f***ing hard, that if I didn't deload every 5 weeks, I'd crumble. I need my deloads. That s*** is good!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Whats with the high reppin' mang?...mercy! Nice ****ing efforts. That 210x10 on the bench was tremendous!!

Have you any access to those good girl/bad girl machines? Hit them to strengthen up your hips and groin. That will help with the caving knees. As Bri said, be mindful of really shoving them out. It will become second nature eventually.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Last two workouts are fantastic! The reps will decrease as the weights increase.

Borr - It's not like I WANT high reps, I added 5 lbs to mili, 15 lbs to squat, 10 to bench and 15 to deadlift for this cycle, and i'm still hitting high reps. It's just me getting stronger apparently, which I won't complain about. They'll slow down eventually!

Bri - Damn, alright man I will keep trying it. It's just automatic, even if i'm thinking about it it happens. I'll keep at it though. Heh, yeah bro I love hitting the high reps. It feels amazing and it works, too, at least for me. Thanks for reminding me you keep that log of top sets, i'm going to throw one up when I get time. Definitely had to have a deload load week, lol! Thanks for the help and words mate.

Flynn - Well like I put up in Bor's reply, I added 5 to mili, 10 to bench and 15 to squat/deadlift, and i'm still obliterating the top sets. It is only week two, though; high reps are expected. Even though the 17 I hit today w/ deads might be a bit extreme, lolz! I dunno about the machines, i'll have to sniff around the gym for 'em, I know we have a cable machine that I could hook up to and do some ab/adductor, flexor/extensor stuff. I'll keep at it with the knees... Grrr!

John - Thanks manly.
    Last edited by jed; 10-29-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW