The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 89 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 4572
    didnt plan on liftin today but decided aginst it and hit the iron. didnt follow routine since i wasnt planning on it... tried to make it a back day but thru in some shoulders with handstand pushups.

chins (w/ new grip) : 4x10... this hits lats harder no doubt! glad im getting somewhere.

wide pulldowns : 50 warmup, 140 5x5... tried it to see if i got any feeling, not much but a tiny bit.

lower back extensions : 5x10... u guys think this is too many reps? feels good.

handstand pushups : 3x10... last rep was a total grinder, even got to using my mentality to finish it. really dont think ive done 3 sets of 10 of these before.

curls, haha.

super set : BW calves w/ 30 pushups, 3 sets.

it was actually a pretty good workout. i have seen such huge gains in my strength since football got over, i'm very pleased. it was expected, but not this much this soon, really. just 6 weeks ago i could only do 4 handstand pushups... now i'm up to 3x10!! my bench was embarrassing a while ago, even just 2-3 weeks ago i could ony rep 205 for 5. now after that PR of 265 i really think i could of repped 225 for 5 like the old days, but with more RoM form. I am 186 lbs, only 3 away from my all time BW PR. and i personally think this is the best i have ever looked physically, everywhere. other than my left calf :P

but there's still bunches of work to do. i need 14 more lbs BW to meet my goal by april 1. this means under .5 lbs a week, which is doable i beleive. it will be totally new waters soon, as i've never broken the 190 lb BW plane. my deadlift form still needs work, and i am only repping 275x5 clean so far. i need to get to 315x5 clean, and a clean 365 1RM before the april 1 deadline. with your guys help i think i can hammer down my DL form and get up there. squats arent a huge thing for me right now but no doubt i am doing them. i know my form is solid, but can always be tweaked. i lean forward towards the last reps of the last sets, so that needs fixed. by the april 1 deadline i need to be repping 275 for 5 reps, deep, close stance, and clean reps. with a 325 1RM to seal the deal. i just got shocked the other day by my bench press 1RM, but that doesnt mean i can lay off. it might of just been a good day. i need to work up to a 225 lb 5x5 bench day by april 1, and am aiming for a 285 1RM with my new form. my bench forms have always been solid regardless, as in ass glued to bench, feet dont leave floor etc. so im not worred about that being "clean". also need to get back into cleans. im not sure if i should full clean, c&j, power clean or what. but i need to figure it out, and nail my form down and get back to where i used to be on them. if i end up going back to PC, which i think i will since ive always been with it, i need to nail 225 for a CLEAN 1RM. all of this all needs to be done. and u guys need to help me, like you have been for sooooo long, so i can be the best i can be.

so, in a quick overview... BY APRIL 1 :
    BW : 200 lb
    bench : 225 5x5 : broken jan 26. new goal : 225x15, 285 1RM
    squat : 275x5 clean, 325 1RM
    dead : 315x5 clean, 365 1RM

/end rant. feel free to say anything.
    Last edited by jed; 01-26-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

also dont want to forget my goal of getting bigger chest and delts, along with (until i die) lats. but i wont be able to see any progress without getting bigger, which is where the 200lb comes in. i believe i can see some change in my chest, but i still have a HUGE road to go. if i can get over 200, ill definitely keep going. its just my goal by april is all.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    strong benching the first day bro, 265 is so far from what I can do these days but your still goin strong! also glad to see you tried overhand, feels good on the back doesnt it? hehe... Id recommend adding another glass of milk to every meal you eat and you should have your goals no problem... keep it up brudda!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

thanks man yo. yeah i tracked on fitday for a few days and got back into the idea of what i need to eat to gain. y'all think 33-3500 a day is enough to get like 1 lb/week?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

At 185 lbs being active, 33-3500 seems a little low. When I was 185, I was consuming 4600 and I wasn't active at all. I worked a desk job, too. But everyone is different and you should shoot for 3500 for your first week and see what happens to your weight and adjust it accordingly. 3500 is very simple, 200 lbs shouldn't be too hard for you, bud. You're a strong mofo, I want to see you get into Westside or something. What are you training for now, anyways?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

interesting, thanks for the insight dude. i will shoot for 4000 at the least, now. ~3100-3300 has been my norm since football and it's gotten me about 15 lbs, but its slowed down so good point, ill bump it up.

if you read post 2201 it states my strength goals (which you obviously did to know my BF goal). im not training for strength in particular anymore, but i do have strength goals. i am training for size right now, though. i want to get as big as possible before i go to college and get hit with the newbie stress, so then i'll have as much cushion to work with as i can until i get settled in. im aiming for 215-220 at the end of august, which i think that gives me 6 months to get ~35 lbs. in the future (like next year or the year after) PL comps would be a possibility, but for my whole life i've always wanted to be just huge. not a strong crazy mofo that's 385 lbs and 5'11 benching 750 (nothing against PLers there), but instead that ripped son of a B that's 6'1 275, you know what im sayin? but thats a looong ways down the road, but thats my ultimate goal.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    You and I got similar goals Jed, except Im aiming for a lower bodyweight than you to begin with lol. All my life Ive wanted to be big, just like you wanted to. Sure, it would be great to be super strong and pull that 750, but id like to have the body of an Adonis as well, so we're both trying to strike that balance. So lets both be the strongest, biggest guys we can be!

hey dkal, thanks for stopping in dude! your progress so far has been whack, hell i think youll even beat me to 200 :P yeah mate, lets do it.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    Yeah, if I miraculously gain 40lbs overnight thats muscle :P

You have such an unfair advantage in the weight and strength department (then again youre an athelete whose been doing this for a while and Im a nerd trying to be like Bruce Banner if you know what I mean), but that will even out eventually

haha, you raise a point to an extent. but i wasnt ever seriously in to lifting until the end of my freshman year, which has given me 3 solid years under my belt, which isnt all that much. but yeah, your right still. BUT i am a huge nerd myself!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    SUPERNERDS UNITE!

See you on WoW sometime (as long as youre Alliance on Wildhammer lol), esp once i finally get WOTLK.

We'll be the strongest, biggest, most ripped nerds on the planet. We'll will achieve the Nerd's Biggest Dream!

haha yeah we could be role models for nerds everywhere.

n yeah, i havent been playin wow much since it gets boring when u hit 80 but me and a few buds that play are gonna reroll on a totally new server n play thru the whole game again w/o help from mains. u play anything else? ive been single playin GRID, defense grid, crysis, cod4, fallout 3, bioshock, doom 3, all of the half lifes up until ep 1, and multiplayin CSS n some wow. just been gettin a steady mix of all those ever since my new system.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    nah, I usually play RPGs, usually on the comp or DS.

Be Alliance on my server sometime, esp once I get wrath. be warned, our Alliance Battlegroup sucks at PvP lol (though we can down faction leaders with some ease if you get a good group). But it sucks not having wrath, Im taking a break from it until I get wrath, or if im bored one day (my parents also dont want me to play it during my first month or so at my new school)

ah i see cool. yeah lol i think we're in the same battlegroup u said, my main is maelstrom.

anyways, little note here... was going to lift today to test out cleans finally. stayed after school to finish a movie for a class, and tried to get the key but since the principal was in the gym 200 ft away the keymaster wouldnt let me lift since im not sposed to be out there without supervision. he usually doesnt care but with the principal and superintendent so close he didnt let me. i understand, but it was still lame as hell, i was pretty excited to lift. oh well i guess... =\
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    Maybe weve been in a BG together (though I dont know what side youre on in Maelstrom), Im Hellaid, Paladin from Wildhammer, also known as the guy who sucks a bit at healing and PvP, but knows to tell an ******* who says he's carrying the game to shut it, and I never, ever Cap FWGY until RH is captured.

My apologies to those who dont know what Jed and I are talking about, we're talking about a PvP Game in WoW, and the acronyms are "graveyards" that my side tries to capture in that game.

And at least you know how to do cleans, I dont so thats why im doing PP and not SS, cause I dont know cleans and no one in the gym can teach me (mostly curl jockies, I think ive seen only one PL and one other guy use the squat rack. At least no one curls in it since its one of those that has weilded supports and not little pins, and just 3 brackets to hold the bar)
    Last edited by Dkalban; 01-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.

haha yeah i dont really like pvp much, but ive learned that it can be fun at times.

n yeah... cleans are tough to learn. ive been doing them for years and am sure that my form is average at best. ive never been tought how to do them properly either, other than the 'teach a whole class of 30 en masse how to do cleans in 5 min' scheme back in 7th grade.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    Meh in 7th grade we were required to do a sport, even us weaklings. The earliest they taught about weights was early in 5th grade for 3 weeks and was sent on our way. I didnt really get back in the weightroom til 9th/10th grade, and didnt have actual good instruction til 11th, which as you might know was not a good year for me lol. Didnt get into weightlifting til last year when I was 104lbs and less. All I learned from my early years was that machines were easier for me, curls, oh press with light dbs and eventually bench, where i could only do the bar.

haha thats cool though, 5th grade. glad you started to lift though. i never thought id physically amount to anything but i proved myself somewhat wrong on that one.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    I never thought Id like the iron game. My old school had a huge sports program (alot of wealthy alumni donate to the sports program, couldnt they done it to fix the theater?), so they had a pretty good weight room (only it had smith machines instead of squat racks , havent been back in years so I dont know if its changed). I was afraid to go in there on my off time, even when I didnt have crippling depression, b/c I was afraid of being bullied (happens when youre small, weak, brainy, and have a NVLD), or hurt. I got a bit into it in 11th grade, but it was towards the end of my stay at Poly Prep. When my dorm staff started taking us last year to the Y (before the paperwork for my then present school got f-d up), I really liked it and so i got into the iron game. Still used machines though, but thats because i was a little to weak at that time to dl, or squat (could bench the bar though), and it was a long hiatus w./ just my dbs b/c of the said paperwork screw up, and then got into the gym with Karsten this winter, and here I am today, wondering where I'll be working out in a couple weeks, have yet to see the Daemen fitness center (and daemen basically has soccer and basketball for its sports and thats it), and I know I have the Y as an option, and the place im going to Daemen through has an old school (yes, an ENTIRE school building is owned by the program I going to, long story why) which supposedly has a weight room I can use, and then there is the possibility of UBuffalo's gym, so I have options.

Crazy work on those handstand pushups. Those things are hard too. Looks like you've got some goals in place for sure. What happens April 1st, just curious? Anyway, you'll nail those goals easily, bro and your long term goals will come true as well. It really all comes from within, you know? You wrote it down, and now you'll get there. In the mean time, you work on gettin to 200 lbs and I'll work on gettin to 180, alright? By the way, I see you play Fallout 3. I got into the original Fallout and Fallout 2 when they came out. Those are actually a couple of my favorite games. What do you think of F3? I'll have to join you all in some CSS or whatever sometime. When Diablo 3 comes out my life will probably be over...
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

crazy trail there dkal. good luck findin a new one bro...

K - nice to hear from ya mate. hasnt been that long but still... thanx about the pushups, wudnt of learned about em without u! haha nothin happens april first, its just kinda the start of when it gets warm and the season changes into spring around here. haha deal, race ya :P yeah man FO3 is pretty cool. its kinda slow and the combat system is different for me but thats because im not used to FPS-RPG's or w/e you call fallout. im just used to flatout FPS's! but the games definitely cool. and same here, diablo 3.... cant wait.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    I need more than luck to find a new trail, i need bloodhounds, a Shoshone guide, a sherpa, a map, a compass, a machete

and meds, lots and losts of meds (j/k)

Get a room.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

lol F U keith :P
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

gah, had a blizzard today, no weights damnit.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW