Thread: Diet soda while cutting

Wannabebig Member

Diet soda while cutting

Does diet soda have any effect on a cut?

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    If it has 0 calories, no.

The darker cola's have phosphorous in them which can leech Calcium from you bones. Some diet sodas contain caffeine. Those are the only things I can really think of that might affect someone. I personally drink diet soda every once in a while just for the caffeine without any of that sugar.
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 153ish
    Stats: before injury
    Bench-175x2
    Deadlift-325x1
    Atf Squat-255x2

One Winged Angel MagnaSephiroth's Avatar
    I think becuase its not organic or natural, having a lot of fake stuff in there, it can slightly effect your insulin sensativity.
    Current Routine: WBB1
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 161 (as of 7/31/06)
    171 (as of 11/13/06)
    178 (as of 1/1/07)
    171.8 (as of 2/5/07)
    165 (as of 3/5/07)

Weight Lifting Journal

go ahead. especially since it gets rid of the monotony of water. obviously you can't drink it as a water substitute but every once in a while its fine.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Wannabebig Member
    I am not a fan of aspartame. For me, that would be my biggest concern.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaSephiroth View Post
    I think becuase its not organic or natural, having a lot of fake stuff in there, it can slightly effect your insulin sensativity.
    I have never heard this before. Why would this happen?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by FraNcHiZeKoK View Post
    Does diet soda have any effect on a cut?
    Nope. You might feel bloated from the carbonation, though.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

water

Aspartame has no effect on insulin in non-diabetic persons.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

FOr me anything but water and skim milk to drink is just filled with waste, syrup, colorings and other artificial **** that I just don't have time for.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    Cherry coke zero.... yummmmmy

i find that after a year of just water or milk, anything else has too much taste for me

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Quote Originally Posted by pepsihatman View Post
    The darker cola's have phosphorous in them which can leech Calcium from you bones. Some diet sodas contain caffeine. Those are the only things I can really think of that might affect someone. I personally drink diet soda every once in a while just for the caffeine without any of that sugar.
    How can phosphorous leech calcium from your bones?
    The only thing that I know does that is inadequate calcium and vitamin D intake.

85% of all phosphorous is in our bones! 99% of all our calcium is in our bones as well. Its practically a 1:1 ratio.

If anything it should help. And I dont think pop has nearly enough phsophourous to do any harm.

Really, the only way a person can overdose on a mineral or nutrient is if they take supplements. Otherwise its quite hard (well you could get vitamin A toxcicity from eating polar bear liver).

ive heard the sugar achools which is in aspertame and other non calorie sweeteners have an effect on diet or still have carbs but i've never seen any research on this- i dont see any probelm in having diet pop every once in awhile i like pepsi jazz mmmmmm
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue View Post
    I am not a fan of aspartame. For me, that would be my biggest concern.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

If you like diet pop, drink it. Simple. ANYTHING can be bad for you when overdone.. whether it be egg whites, chicken, or diet pop.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    How can phosphorous leech calcium from your bones?
    The only thing that I know does that is inadequate calcium and vitamin D intake.

85% of all phosphorous is in our bones! 99% of all our calcium is in our bones as well. Its practically a 1:1 ratio.

If anything it should help. And I dont think pop has nearly enough phsophourous to do any harm.

Really, the only way a person can overdose on a mineral or nutrient is if they take supplements. Otherwise its quite hard (well you could get vitamin A toxcicity from eating polar bear liver).
    You might be right about the soda not having enough phosphorus to actually do anything. I was relaying what my registered dietitian teach told us.

Here's some info from the University of Maryland: Medical Center

"As dietary phosphorous increases, the need for additional calcium rises as well. The delicate balance between calcium and phosphorous is necessary for proper bone density and prevention of osteoporosis."

And further

"The typical Western diet, however, is imbalanced in these minerals. Most people who consume this type of diet consume roughly two to four times more phosphorus than calcium. For example, meat and poultry contain 10 to 20 times as much phosphorus as calcium, and carbonated beverages such as colas have as much as 500 mg of phosphorus in one serving. When there is more phosphorus than calcium in the system, the body will draw on calcium stored in bones. This can lead to reduced bone mass (namely, osteopenia or osteoporosis) that makes bones brittle and fragile."

Hence increasing osteoclast activity, causing the release of stored calcium from the bones.

(http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupple...sphoruscs.html)
    Last edited by pepsihatman; 02-18-2007 at 04:39 PM.
    Bench-175x2
    Deadlift-325x1
    Atf Squat-255x2

Quote Originally Posted by 8.8 View Post
    ive heard the sugar achools which is in aspertame and other non calorie sweeteners have an effect on diet or still have carbs but i've never seen any research on this- i dont see any probelm in having diet pop every once in awhile i like pepsi jazz mmmmmm
    Aspartame is not a sugar alcohol, not even close.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
    Aspartame is not a sugar alcohol, not even close.
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by 8.8 View Post
    Sugar alcohols are usually in things like sugar free candy. Your body cannot metabolize sugar alcohols like normal sugar and therefore they pass through mostly whole and un-metabolized (if that's a word). Your body will sometimes compensate by adding more water to the bowl mixture.. and you can end up getting the runs from eating too much food containing sugar alcohols. (That's another funny story from my nutrition professor).
    Last edited by pepsihatman; 02-19-2007 at 12:17 PM.
    Bench-175x2
    Deadlift-325x1
    Atf Squat-255x2