The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Dropsets

Wannabebig Member

Dropsets

Hey there

im thinking about incorporating dropsets into my routine to increasse the intensity of my workouts. thing is im not sure of the best way to do em.

i was thinking about doing a 3:1, 3 straight sets of a particular exercise then on the 4th do a drop set.

so for example.

military press - 12, 10, 8, - 6 (drop weight on this and carry on to failuer)

also obviously if you do to many drop sets there is a chance of overtraining so how many drop sets per muscle group should be performed?

any suggestions would be great.

cheers

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Eh I have never been much of a dropset fan but I would in my opinion 1 dropset per small musclegroup(bis tris) should be fine. I havent done those in forever actually.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Why do you think they increase the 'intensity' of your training?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Well for starters, if say i do 6 reps i have only failed on that particular weight, not complete muscle failure, so if you drop the weight and carry on you are incorporating different muscle fibres which wouldnt of been stimulated if i just did a straight set of 6 reps.

decreasing the rest between sets increases the intensity, and since with a drop set you jump straight onto another with little or no rest, the intensity would be higher than if i just did 4 straight sets.
    Last edited by j-dearden; 02-15-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Why do you think 'complete muscle failure' is a good thing?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    i dont think complete muscle failure is a good thing, but a thew sets of complete muscle failure isnt going to do any harm.

If you don't think it's a good thing, why are you trying to achieve it?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Why do you think 'complete muscle failure' is a good thing?
    He didnt say anywhere that he thought 'complete muscle failure' was a good thing.

you have posted 3 times and not given one bit of advice to this guy.

Go ahead and do a couple of drop sets, I dont think they will do you anyharm, if you feel like you are getting burned out on them then lay off for a couple of sessions.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

I never personally got the point of drop sets. But I can not say I have ever tried them. You only know your body best, so try em and see if you notice any difference.
    Last edited by Howard 9; 02-15-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Wannabebig Member
    Cheers for the replies

will give em a go see how things go.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    If you don't think it's a good thing, why are you trying to achieve it?
    also where did i say it was a good thing? i asked for some advice on drop sets, not criticism on something i didnt mention.

Get tougher.

He's asking because simply from a scientific standpoint, muscle "failure" is never a good thing. And I think he was trying to get you to answer your own question in a round about way.

Very "teacher" like.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Apparently some people don't like that approach.

I'm trying to get the OP to tell me why he wants to incorporate something into his training. I was hoping the OP would think about the why before worrying about the what.

I'm pretty sure that's more valuable than telling him how to do a drop set.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I'd be inclined to agree.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I liked drop sets on smaller muscles (tri's and bi's). it just really burned the hell out of them. and the pumped effect was awesome too
    Last edited by someoneunlikeyo; 02-16-2007 at 10:39 AM.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass