The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Training for Hockey

So whenever i work out, which is usually 2 or 3 times a week not counting when im on the ice Ill do a lot of leg work.

I do leg press, Leg Curls, and I run and spring

My question here is, what other leg workouts can i do, to make my lower body stronger so i dont get knocked around as easily, and how to get faster?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

ditch the machines...

squat

very very very simple. squat, and then squat some more... maybe deadlift a bit, then continue squatting.

leg presses will creat an imbalancement with ur stabilization muscles and ur primary mover... so getting flung around on the ice will make it very east to hurt yourself.

Squats will develop everything in your legs and make you super strong.

so get squatting.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    leg presses will creat an imbalancement with ur stabilization muscles and ur primary mover... so getting flung around on the ice will make it very east to hurt yourself.
    Dont have a clue what you are talking about fuzzy....

The squat part is true, its a natural motion, it will be good to develop strength. However, because your a hockey player I will recommend speed squats (same motion, same form, just very explosive when you are pushing up out of the bottom of the squat). Weighted lunges will also be good for you, as well as plyometrics (use the search pad for info on these). Deadlifts are great for building lower back strength.

Dont forget, you should always use a well-rounded routine no matter what you train for. Training your shoulders, upper back, pecs and arms will be beneificial to you as a hockey player, probably just as beneficial as training your legs. Use the search key, training for hockey has been covered before and you might find some very handy information about some of these excersizes!

ID recommend starting WBB1, for the first little while you will be very sore when you train, but eventually you'll just notice more and more gains all around. Dont forget about your upper body though!

Ps- I cant believe Im actually having to TELL a guy to train his upper body LOL. Usually its the other way around
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

I play hockey... for training in-season I focus on conditioning (read: crossfit). In the off season I hit squats and deadlifts as hard as I can, with some upper body lifts here and there (rows, pullups, bench). One thing I have just gotten out of the habit of training is my arms. I almost never do arm exercises yet it seems my arms have gotten bigger as a result..? Just hit the gym hard and stay away from the machines and you'll be good to go.

PS. Core strength is huge in hockey so be sure to do stability exercises (planks, side planks, stability ball lifts)
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Wannabebig New Member
    Alright, thanks everyone for your info, Ill be sure to hit up the squats this week, as well as the other things you all suggested

Quote Originally Posted by rythashocka View Post
    Alright, thanks everyone for your info, Ill be sure to hit up the squats this week, as well as the other things you all suggested
    make sure your form is good though. get your coach or trainer to help you get the form down. or someone that is knowledgeable in your gym.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    make sure your form is good though. get your coach or trainer to help you get the form down. or someone that is knowledgeable in your gym.
    yea.. this one isn't even a question. if you dont have near-perfect form you're going to end up hurting yourself.
    6'1 - 195

Squatting will definitely help with power and balance but remember you have to stretch daily to maximize stability and resist injuries.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

Quote Originally Posted by D Breyer View Post
    I play hockey... for training in-season I focus on conditioning (read: crossfit). In the off season I hit squats and deadlifts as hard as I can, with some upper body lifts here and there (rows, pullups, bench). One thing I have just gotten out of the habit of training is my arms. I almost never do arm exercises yet it seems my arms have gotten bigger as a result..? Just hit the gym hard and stay away from the machines and you'll be good to go.

PS. Core strength is huge in hockey so be sure to do stability exercises (planks, side planks, stability ball lifts)
    Exactly what I was thinking. All of the above.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by TXslapshot View Post
    remember you have to stretch daily to maximize stability and resist injuries.
    Definately.. I know my flexability has kept me from a ton of injuries.. I stretch a ton. Usually after my workout, not before.
    6'1 - 195

Aw god... I can not wait for ice hockey season to start!!!

Best sport ever... well one of, but def. one of my favourites, its a shame these Aussie kids to busy with their cricket and panzy foot ball to play a real game.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Same here DB.

Ive also heard that dryland training on sand is great for speed and agility. Ill be testing it this weekend at a nearby beach. If it seems to help, Ill add one day a wk of sand training to my regimen.
    Current Stats
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

Quote Originally Posted by TXslapshot View Post
    Same here DB.

Ive also heard that dryland training on sand is great for speed and agility. Ill be testing it this weekend at a nearby beach. If it seems to help, Ill add one day a wk of sand training to my regimen.
    Sounds interesting. Let me know how that goes.
    6'1 - 195

looks like I wont be able to make the beach this weekend due to more hockey being played on sunday, ill have to wait til next sunday to try the beach training but ill definitely post my thoughts on it.
    Current Stats
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D Breyer View Post
    That's for sure. I think unilateral exercises like sploit squats or one handed DB bench (very hard!) would be good to train core strength and a heavy lift at the same time.

OP: Have a look at "Westside for Skinny Bastards". It's a strength routine that is geared for high school/college athletes.

You should consider buying

Complete Conditioning for Hockey

I have the Rugby/Basketball versions and they are quite good. The authors of the books are usually strength/conditioning coaches for Professional Teams.
    Last edited by Bupp; 02-26-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Twist has some good stuff out.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Im not sure if the Human Kinetic stuff is distributed in the states, but it is the best reading you can get at your local chapter book store in canada.

Some other really good reads are

Periodized Training for Sports and Strength Training Anatomy.