The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

5x5 warm up question

if Im working with 235-240 on the 5 sets what should warm up be?
    They say wisdom is wise words spoken by a brother attemptin to open the graves of these mentally dead slaves. ~GZA~

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

PoutineEh
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNY87 View Post
    if Im working with 235-240 on the 5 sets what should warm up be?
    id say increment 30 lbs until you hit your final set of 240. i personally wouldnt try and do 5 sets of 240 if thats what your asking. otherwise, increments of 30 lbs and 5 sets of 240 might be too much to handle and you wouldnt finish up.

Gamer/Lifter
    I'd say if you start at the bar and go 30 lbs up each time for 5 sets your at 195 lbs for your final set...

This question is asked many many times quite frankly its your choice how you do it. Frankly this is my warmup rountie for squats (I lift at 265-275 right now)

1x8 just the bar
    1x8 135 LBs
    then go to my workout around 265-275.

When I start lifting around 315 as workout i'll prob do a warmup at 225.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

i usually do 135x5, then 205x5, then 5x5 of my working weight...right now 245 for squats

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    1x8 just the bar
    1x8 135 LBs
    then go to my workout around 265-275.
    That might work for you now, but you're asking for knee problems later on in life. You should warmup your joints quite a bit more than you are right now, unless you're already doing some other warmups first.

My knees would kill if I did it your way.

Wannabebig New Member
    I do something like this:

135x8
    185x5
    205x3
    225x1

rest a couple of mins, then working sets.

Depends what the exercise is though... I tend to warm up a bit more for squats and bench (1-2 more sets).

I just knock out a few reps as I load the bar. I squatted 350 last night (new PR), so I do 3-4 reps at 135, 205, 275, 325, then hit the target weight. Sometimes I do a full set at 325 and count it as a work set, then a set at say 350, and if that feels good, I'll try 355 or 360.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Wannabebig Member
    ok i see, that weight was for bench not squat though, does that make a difference?
    They say wisdom is wise words spoken by a brother attemptin to open the graves of these mentally dead slaves. ~GZA~

No, no difference. The goal is to complete your routine's required number of sets and reps, maxing out the weight on the last set or two. Obviously you can't begin counting until there is reasonable load on the bar, before this just being a warm up. If you warm up with almost no weight and lots of reps, you'll be doing your muscles a favour. I can't stress how important warming up (and cooling down) your muscles is, not to mention the difference in muscle growth you'll notice with a few lighter reps included as part of your routine. It will activate growth of a different muscle tissue to that of the heavy weight training, and the combination will work in your benefit, trust me.
    Last edited by Australian; 02-23-2007 at 12:39 AM.