The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Football Speed Training

For this football offseason I am really lifting hard and doing all the core stuff and cleans(I know this helps speed too) and know what I am doing as far as that goes. So I feel like I have the strength and size part covered. But I really feel like I need to work on speed, agility, and explosiveness/power. I am not sure what to do as far as that goes, but I feel like I have some options and was wondering what you guys thought of them.

1. Get this book which seems to have great reviews and might help: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Condi.../dp/0880115211

2. Go to this place I found that is close to me. Not sure how good they are as I dont know much about it, so I'll let you guys take a look at it. It seems pricey but I don't know. http://www.davisspeedcenter.com/

3. Maybe I should just do my own stuff, but not exactly sure where I would do it and what to do. If you guys recommend this could you help me out a lot with that cuz I would need it. So what type of power/speed stuff is good for football (I know sprinting and plyos, but I dont have plyo equipment and stuff and it seems like I should do more than just sprints to really improve).

I really want to work hard this offseason because I have a chance to start and defensive end this year and its my last chance as a senior.

So what do you guys suggest I do? Thanks for the Help.....
    Last edited by rbar89; 02-10-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Footballer
    For speed theres a few things you can do. You can buy a speed ladder and do things like 1 foot in each box, 2 feet in each box, sideways 2 feet, icky shuffle, a lot of different variations to go down the speed ladder. You can also get some speed hurdles that are 1 foot high i believe and work on some knee skips high knees things like that. there should be little guides when you buy equipment of different exercises. things like parachutes, and weight sleds will help. as far as agility just work on doing exercices like the short shuttle, you can make a 3 by 3 box and put numbers in each box standing in the middle box you can get a friend to call different numbers and you two foot jump from the midle to whatever number he says as quickly as possible...theres alot of things to do i just tried to give you an overview.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

cones and ladders are your best friend. However... You said you wanna start at defensive end? If that's what you want you need to put on a good 30 pounds by summer training. I say 30 because most likely your gonna lose atleast 5 during summer sessions. As a D-end your priority isn't speed, it's strength, explosiveness, and technique. If you have speed to go along with that its an added bonus but not a necessity to compete and be a good player at the high school level. I think you have to decide what position you think is best for you. By your numbers it looks like you should be playing receiver or a safety spot. But I can't only judge by numbers because I dunno what your 40 nor what type of athleticism you have.

Wannabebig Member
    Well what you want is power/explosivenes. You also need to gain some weight. But you have some pretty decent numbers right now. I would seriosly suggest doing sprints once or twice a week in between your lifting days like if you were lifting m/w/f do sprints tue/thurs. on those days also if you want you could do plyometrics or agility stuff i say switch it up every 4 weeks. i would pic about 3 to 4 plyometric drills and do 3 sets of about 6 for each of them with about 3-4 minutes rest. on those days or 6 sprints with proper rest in between. or agility stuff. this should help you out greatly continue to lift hard and work hard but train smart and you will reap the rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky View Post
    cones and ladders are your best friend. However... You said you wanna start at defensive end? If that's what you want you need to put on a good 30 pounds by summer training. I say 30 because most likely your gonna lose atleast 5 during summer sessions. As a D-end your priority isn't speed, it's strength, explosiveness, and technique. If you have speed to go along with that its an added bonus but not a necessity to compete and be a good player at the high school level. I think you have to decide what position you think is best for you. By your numbers it looks like you should be playing receiver or a safety spot. But I can't only judge by numbers because I dunno what your 40 nor what type of athleticism you have.
    Ya i just checked my numbers after you said they were low and more like receiver or safety numbers and my squat is actually 305 not 205, i typed it wrong, so ill fix that in my sig. I know its still not great numbers for a DE, but I just started lifting again a month ago so they are going up fast and my numbers going into football last year were higher than what they are now, because I lost weight and strength over the season.
    Last edited by rbar89; 02-10-2007 at 09:46 PM.

any other opinions?

Rookie
    I played end in high school and for a year in college, honestly some of the simplest stuff can help you be more explosive. One of the drills that helped me most was tying a rope around a metal "sled" or you can use a tire and run while pulling it behind you.

Thanks for that reply, after my original post I looked more into finding ways to improve speed and explosion and I found the idea of dragging the tire that anthony had in his journal. Since then I've been excited to put that together and try it cuz I bet it will help a lot and your post just made me that much more amped to start doing that.