The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Sweating and grunting...where you should be.

speed of conditioning

This is the situation. I'm currently nice and bulked and working weights to build up size and strength. My cardio is crap, and I know if I switch to cardio conditioning, I'll lose weight but also lose some strength as well.

I know everyone is different and the time it takes to condition is very individual, so I'm asking based on those that have trained seriously and have experience, what have you found takes longer? strength training and weight lifting or cardio conditioning. Whats takes longer to build up

I'm not talking about any goals, just specifically how long it takes your body to train up to any goal whether its longer cardio or lifting.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To me it was my conditioning, especially when I was around 220. I
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Conditioning for sure. I can improve my conditioning from suck to not bad in 4-6 weeks.

Strength takes much longer than that.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Conditioning for sure. I can improve my conditioning from suck to not bad in 4-6 weeks.

Strength takes much longer than that.
    so you're saying that strength training takes much longer than cardio conditioning. For some reason I thought it might be the other way around.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

It depends on your base and other factors.

For me, because my weight jumped up so quickly I had trouble getting my body used to moving around with 20 extra pounds. My strength went up rapidly because I was bulking and lifting heavy weights.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I guess it depends on what you think of as cardio conditioning.

I used to jog 10k 3x a week. It took me four months of training to go from zero to running a (very, very slow) 10k.

My strength training was non-existant, and it took me a LOONG time to build up any kind of strength once I started - like, YEARS.

A nice perk I've noticed from strength-training is that my cardio conditioning comes up a lot faster now than it used to. And I sure as hell didn't get YOUNGER!

hah built well you look younger with every inch of growth , well by cardio conditioning I mean in stamina and explosiveness. Not long distance running. For example 5 5 min rounds in a fight, and not gassing out. That kind of conditioning.
    Last edited by crazedwombat; 02-22-2007 at 06:57 AM.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Ive heard while I was in football camp back in HS that its easier/faster for someone to gain endurance compared to strength/power.

I think crossfit did some research on how someone from a strength background adapts to CF WODs compared to someone from an endurance background and they found that the strength group adapts quicker. This is something ive read a while back so take it with a grain of salt.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

It seems consistent though, with what I've read on the boards and with my own experience. I can't IMAGINE doing HIIT with any kind of intensity if I didn't have a good solid base from deads, squats and chins.

Hard to compare but, depending on your current level of conditioning, you can make huge VO2Max increases in 4 weeks. How much you can improve (in terms of lbs) in a given exercise will depend on a lot of things.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/