The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Scar tissue in my shoulder

I found out that I have scar tissue where my upper bicep connects to my shoulder. I was talking to a guy at the gym and he said he went to massage therapy for scar tissue. It took him 12-15 sessions and he also said it was very very painful.

The massage therapist breaks down the scar tissue and it gets dissolved into the body?? Does this sound about right? Anyone else ever deal with scar tissue?

Mine comes from many years of throwing a baseball, and I intend on playing again this year come April. Actually our warm up tournament is next month!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That doesn't sound right at all. It's scar tissue. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to "break down and dissolve into the body" from massage sessions. I thought you were supposed to let it heal naturally. That just doesn't seem right to me, I guess.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I had scar tissue in my knee that prevented me from working out my legs for a while. It would hurt from doing things like just walking around for a while. Eventually it just healed on its own and the pain went away.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

^^

I'm still waiting for that relief. Scar tissue sucks.

Darray, See an Osteopath for your shoulder. They're more extensively educated and hence a lot more knowledgeable about shoulder injuries than regular massage therapists (for which you don't even need certification) and Chiropractors. An Osteopath should cost about the same, but will be able to give you a clear understanding of what's happening with bones and muscles in your shoulder, a corrective massage and some corrective stretches or exercises, depending on what is necessary. You should probably do it now, before the next baseball season and prevent any possible further damage. I have problems with my shoulders from years of playing flamenco & jazz guitar. Second recommendation is Feldenkrais, but see how you go with the osteopath first.

Massage should help with scar tissue.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by darray View Post
    I found out that I have scar tissue where my upper bicep connects to my shoulder. I was talking to a guy at the gym and he said he went to massage therapy for scar tissue. It took him 12-15 sessions and he also said it was very very painful.
    I'd opt for ART therapy. It is very effective at breaking down the scar tissue that has accumulated at the site you mentioned.

Basically, scar tissue is formed through the first two stages of healing. So at some point you must have injured yourself. You may not have realized it at the time it happened.

Without going into detail about scar tissue, what it is and how it is layed down you should know that it must be broken down. Otherwise you will end up hurting yourself in the long run, especially if you plan on playing a sport and being competitive at it.

You can look for a local ART practitionare here: http://activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Will that help with post-surgery scar tissue? There is one of those facilities an hour from where I live.

Yes.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Baseball=Life
    I was/am in your same boat. I hurt my bicept connecter (shoulder area) in baseball last year, and finally started to get theropy. Let me say i am very glad i chose to get the theropy. They would break up the scar tissue (it hurt a little to do this). I would also get ultra sounds on my arm each session which was about twice a week for a little over a month. Later on they started having me work with some bands. Now im 100% and i have a game in a week! Good luck and i recomend the theropy.
    Last edited by paul5150; 02-24-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington View Post
    Yes.
    I'll ask my surgeon about it and probably check it out. Thanks for the link. This scar tissue is a pain in the arse.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 02-24-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Sounds like ART, or myofascial release/trigger point massage. Yes, it works. Sometimes people will make them sound like miracle works, which they aren't, but they can improve a lot of issues.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I've been managing RC impingement and scar tissue crap with ART for a few years now. I agree with Sensei - it ain't entirely magic, but it can help a lot if you have someone who knows what he or she is doing.

And yes, it's painful. Meh.

Wannabebig Member
    maybe dont lift as heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I've been managing RC impingement and scar tissue crap with ART for a few years now. I agree with Sensei - it ain't entirely magic, but it can help a lot if you have someone who knows what he or she is doing.

And yes, it's painful. Meh.
    Is it more or less painful than the scar tissue by itself?

Built,

How has it been "years" that you have had RC impingment issues and it has not been fixed yet?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Oh hi Maki. Taking a little break from the baby I see!

I broke my right shoulder (greater tuberosity) in 1995, in a bicycle accident (wiped out going down Granville at about 13th on my way to see the fireworks. Never quite made those ones ... sigh).

That whole side has had a lot of trauma - I broke my right collarbone riding my motorcycle in 1986 - spent 8 months in a figure 8 harness for that one.

(Yes - I AM clumsy. Why do you ask? )

I blew off surgery a couple winters ago using ART and ETS - I could still go in to get the gap pried open, but I'd rather train around the injury if I can avoid the knife.

Usually things like a RC impingement don't take years of therapy to recover from. But I suppose it's all dependant on the circumstances in how the injury ocurred. In your case, 'injuries' being the big factor here.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 02-24-2007 at 09:38 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

It sounds to me like the OP's scar tissue is not from a single injury, rather years of buildup. Would the above methods still be as effective in his case? I was always under the impression that chronic build up of scar tissue was extremely difficult to alleviate. Can someone explain this more, or correct me if I am mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Australian View Post
    Darray, See an Osteopath for your shoulder. They're more extensively educated and hence a lot more knowledgeable about shoulder injuries than regular massage therapists (for which you don't even need certification) and Chiropractors. An Osteopath should cost about the same, but will be able to give you a clear understanding of what's happening with bones and muscles in your shoulder, a corrective massage and some corrective stretches or exercises, depending on what is necessary. You should probably do it now, before the next baseball season and prevent any possible further damage. I have problems with my shoulders from years of playing flamenco & jazz guitar. Second recommendation is Feldenkrais, but see how you go with the osteopath first.

I'll look into this, thank you for the information

Quote Originally Posted by ancom41 View Post
    It sounds to me like the OP's scar tissue is not from a single injury, rather years of buildup. Would the above methods still be as effective in his case? I was always under the impression that chronic build up of scar tissue was extremely difficult to alleviate. Can someone explain this more, or correct me if I am mistaken?
    It's been bugging me for about 3 years now, I took a break weightlifting due to injuries (miniscule tear in my knee from a motorcycel accident) and having a baby. Went back to the gym this past Jan and the shoulder/bicep didn't give me much difficulty except for flat bench, primarily after not during the exercise.

Baseball=Life
    The recovery all depends, my mom had the same problem as me, she has been going to theropy for about a year now and still is. I only did it for about 2-3 monthes and im fine now. It hurts when they massage is but its definetely worth it in the long run.
    college baseball player