The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reboot

Reboot

...because sometimes in life you just have to concede defeat and start over.

As many of you know I've had a pretty significant setback recently. I herniated the C5-C6 disk in my neck. The herniated disk was pressing on my spinal cord and I was losing strength and control in the left side of my body, especially my left arm. It was exquisitely painful as well.

I was diagnosed in the beginning of February and almost immediately went for surgical correction before the nerve damage was permanent. The disk was removed, a cadaver bone was inserted in its place, and the whole thing was screwed together with a plate. Between the time leading up to diagnosis and recuperation time post-surgery, I've been out of the gym sitting on my ass for a good 6 to 7 months now (depending on if you count the month of crappy workouts I had in December while trying to ignore the injury).

I've finally, after months of physical restriction, been given the all clear to resume working out.

I am weak. Very very weak. This journal will be the record of my path back to where I was before, and hopefully a bit further.

I've attached part of one set of MRI's that shows the squished spinal cord. I've also attached 3 x-rays post surgery. They were taken yesterday. In the MRI, my spinal cord is the upper horizontal white band that is pinched in the middle...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 06-09-2006 at 04:02 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To give you an idea of what's happened, I've gone from benching 315 for 6 to 8 reps all the way down to a ball-busting all-out brute-force set of 135x9. It goes downhill from there. I am still a little concerned about putting the bar on my back for squats. so, basically, I'm at square one.

here's hoping "muscle memory" is for real.
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 06-09-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Good Luck with everything Casey
    I'll be coming around here to see how you're doing, you'll do great i'm sure of it
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Injuries blow <rubs injured spine pensively>

You're going to come through this one, and it's gonna suck feeling weak as hell for a while, but you'll get through it.

Nice to see you on the board again, Case.

Don't fret. It'll come back. One thing you have to remember is that your nerve bundles were severly compressed. You could have been a paraplegic man...luckily things were caught in time. Your body is still working on getting a full impulse from your brain to your muscles and that will come in time. It'll be a while before you restablish that neuromuscular jconection.

It's not so much that you're weak, it's that your muscles have to learn how to do things again. Don't kid yourself, bro. This was a severe injury and it's incredible that you're doing as well as you are. Take it steady and don't be too anxious or disapointed because your bench dropped 200 lbs. I doubt anybody else would be doing as well as you are.

And for those of you wondering...despite the lay off he's still as big as a house.
    Last edited by ectx; 06-09-2006 at 04:18 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I'm counting on seeing you next Arnold!!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Dude, it'll come back -- all of it.

Just stick through the frustrating parts; remember that the worst of it is over.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

You'll come back.

The power of Spamwise commands you.

me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Good to see you back Casey...you will come through this fine bro.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

The first back day of 2006...

Well, today was my first back day of 2006. It was incredibly short. My experience has been that it takes NOTHING to get me so sore that I'm debilitated. I'm not taking my notepad yet, as I'm still kind of just messing around, getting my body used to actually doing more than just sitting there.

I did 4 sets of Seated Lever Rows, 4 sets of Lever Pulldowns, 2 sets of Bent Over Dumbell Raises (damn... I think thats what they're called... ), and for fun I did a set of seated dumbell military press thingies...

ok... so I've forgotten what things are called, lol. I'll work on that. The weights were light, and the workout was short, but I fully expect to be very sore tomorrow.

Its a first step, and I'm thankful and glad I was able to take it today.

Sylvia: Thanks for the good luck! I definitely plan to be in Columbus next year. See you there!

Marianne: Glad to be back, I hope your back is healing nicely. I definitely know how bad it can get. Back problems are the worst - so much of everyday activity depends on your back.

Rennypooito: I am not as big as a house. Maybe an economy import mini-van, but definitely not a house. Don't worry bro, I'm taking it nice and easy to start. But once I'm sure I'm not going to break again and once my mind is used to bossing my appendages around again, watch out! You've got a 6 month head start on me... I intend to take it back. :evillaugh

MM: I'm in for the long haul man, if there's something this layoff has taught me, its how important all of this is to my well-being. God I missed the gym, lol. Thanks.

Stash: I hear and obey. I'm not eating that nasty-ass spam though. blech!

Pup: Thanks for the welcome back man. I appreciate it.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    OMG I'm stronger than Teufy! I'm gonna savor these moments. I'm sure there won't be many of them.

Good luck big guy and congrats on the green light!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Best of luck with the new journal and healing the back up. I will be sure to follow your progress as I remember your previous pics showed a monster of a physique.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Mike: you better plan on savoring these moments, cuz you're right. I plan to be lifting big soon!

Sidior: I weighed in at 234 today. A big surprise actually. I'm not tight like I used to be, but I haven't totally wasted away, either... luckily. Thats the thing though because I still look like I'm pretty big, and then go in and lift these weenie weights... I get a little humilated lifting 1/4 of the weight the smaller guy next to me is lifting, lol.

Damn dude, that really sucks. Glad to hear you are getting back in there. I laughed pretty hard at the 135x9 comment. It leaves quick, but it comes back quick too.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Good to see you lifting again. You'll be back in no time.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

bring it on cabron!
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

Don't worry, he's still stronger than me.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Trust me man, muscle memory IS real, I've been increasing my lifts by 5-10lbs every session after taking a year off.

Besides, the important thing is that you're back in to it. The poundage is a distant second. Good luck w/ everything.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

So, a new journal to mark the start of humilating us little folk all over again. Heart issues, spine surgery and host of other items too personal to mention and yet you're still a whopping muscular 234. Damn. Nice to see that the bod held out so well. You know your fan club will be here to root you on to way bigger then you were before.

Good to see the "Casey" back that I know from when you joined the site. Get stronger and even bigger than before.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Bump, cuz teufybitch will get hurt if his journal isn't at the top of the page....the big attention whore that he is. LOL.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Its about damn time someone posted in here.

dw06wu - I hope it comes back quick. but even if it does its still gonna take a while.
    cphafner - Thanks man.
    SobaAddict70 -
    Saint Patrick - thanks, I'm coming after you if what you said isn't true...
    Jeff - LOL, thanks man, I don't know where that weight is. It's sure not in my arms or chest or ass...
    Ren - Oh, its already broughten! *snap snap snap*

Did some leg presses today (4pps, 15 reps, 4 sets). Every single other leg machine was taken. Every one. I tried to get in the squat rack, but it looks like I need to do some flexibility stuff because I couldn;t even hold the empty bar on my back without feeling like I was auditioning for the cirque d' soleil. So I got on some weird ass cardio thing... ugh. cardio. its got 2 treadmills, one for each foot and they go up and down with your stride. About 90 seconds later my heart rate is over 160, and I'm going 3mph...

things will get back to normal Casey, i'm sure you still look like a tank

in a good way

gain 50lbs-Anthony

You'll find out that muscle memory is amazing.

How exactly did you herniate the disk, Teuf?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Look on the bright side Casey, Rene's heart rate hits 160bpm just putting on his pants in the morning.

You may need to do some serious stretching...i'll probably get caned for this...but doing some yoga movements at home might really help.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Awesome bro, glad to see you posting a journal again!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310