The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

direct forearm work

I notice that not that many people train their forearms directly, my question is why?

Is it because you believe that forearm work is not needed, because the muscle fibers get enough stimulation while doing deads and curls? Or do you just choose not to train forearms?

For me, my forearms are disproportionate to my upper arms, they aren't any bigger than the average persons lower arm. I always hear people say that you need to train your legs because they make up half your body, but dont forearms make up half your arm? Im sure no one on here neglects their triceps, so why do so few people do direct forearm work?

I cant see how they are worked enough through other exercises either. You cant tell me that if I were to do 0 forearm work, they would be the same size after 4 months or so of training, as if I did train them directly?

Or am I wrong, is forearm work really useless? If I wanted to really add some mass to my lower arms, what exercises should I do, and how many sets?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't work them directly. Like you already stated, they get worked pretty well with other exercises.

I don't have big arms though either, so maybe eventually I will have to do direct forearm work.

Home of the 2002 Pacific Division Champ Sacramento Kings
    I do some wrist curl stuffs for my forearms once a week or so, depending if I'm in a hurry to leave the gym. I don't think it's made my forearms any bigger, but I can't say it hasn't helped at all either.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I can't do direct forearm work, I mean after deads, and hammer curls they're incredibly sore for days.

Depends on what you mean by "direct."

I do reverse curls, static holds, and hammer curls.

If you mean stuff like wrist curls, then no.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I agree with Powerman.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

When I say 'direct' I mean you do that exercise for no other reason than to stimulate hypertrophy in the forearms (Im not really talking about grip strength). Like "direct" ab work.

Why dont you do wrist curls? Is it because they target the lower arm only, or is it because you dont think they will make a difference?

Originally posted by the_hall

Why dont you do wrist curls? Is it because they target the lower arm only, or is it because you dont think they will make a difference?
    Both. The wrist flexors are built much better by grip training. The brachioradialis and the other elbow flexors in the forearm are build via reverse curls and hammer curls.

Wrist curls become a redundant time-waster.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Depends on what you mean by "direct."

I do reverse curls, static holds, and hammer curls.

If you mean stuff like wrist curls, then no.
    i dont know if you remember but you advised me on the static holds a couple of weeks ago for a thread on grip strength and I wanted to take the opportunity to give them the thumbs up having not done them before. I do em straight after shrugs or deads and they work well. Cheers PowerMan

I think bicep curls with a straight bar also work the forearms greatly for me.

what about those things that you get for rock climbing that are like a springed handle that you squeeze? Are those worthwhile?

I think that wrist curls are valuable, regardless of what has been said. My forearms get pumped up and sore from simple wrist curls. Direct grip training DOES make a difference in your grip strength, but it doesnt have that much to do with your forearm size. There is actually a Grip Board that I used to post at. I thought that grip training would cause size growth in your lower arms too.

Hall - You *need* to do direct forearm work because you use straps. I don't use straps and I don't go up a dumbbell until I can hold it. Currently held back at the 110 range in shrugs. It's ok though, cause I still get a great workout. My forearms are huge relative to my overall size, no direct training ever.

Wannabebig New Member
    Hall,

It seems like you want to add some size to your forearms, so far no-one has given you any answers, only their opinions on direct forearm work.???

If you are unhappy with your forearm development then it seems appropriate to do something about it.

Wrist curls, worked heavy and progressivly, are great for the forearms as is lever-bar work and increasing ones grip strength in general. Try loosing the straps, if you use them, for a while to let your lower arms catch up with the rest of your body.

Try these exercises:

Wrist curls - 2x8
    Plate Pinch - 2x time
    Static Hold/farmers walk - 2xdistance
    Wrist-roller. (this exercise is amazing!)

Divide them however you like, maybe pick two exercises and perform one after each training session. After 12 weeks try another two.

You will notice a difference, although the forearms are much like the calves as in genetics play a big role in their size potential.

Paul

oooooh we scared now.

just how do you do a static hold? like you load up on like a smith and stand there and hold it till you can no longer?

how long a time should you aim for like a 10 second max or a 20 or 30 second max? how many sets?

Tryska - I edited.

I train my grip for function, but don't do much direct forearm work.

I'd think how you train them depends on your goals.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

thanks paul. now back to topic....

i don't actually do direct forearm work either...they get worked with my biceps, and also deadlifts actually kicked off their growth for me.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Bigger fewl
    Originally posted by PowerManDL

Both. The wrist flexors are built much better by grip training. The brachioradialis and the other elbow flexors in the forearm are build via reverse curls and hammer curls.

Wrist curls become a redundant time-waster.
    I gotta disagree with you here. After a set of 6-10 rep wrist curls, my forearms are screaming for me to stop. The next day I can hardly pick things up, and that is all the proof I need to know that its a great exercise. If I could choose anything for specific forearms growth and strength, I would definately choose wrist curls.

Grip is a little different. While it uses the same basic muscles, for the most part grip training is static contractions without a large range of motion, and involves muscles of the hands and fingers to a greater extent. This means less direct forearms development.

If you want big forearms, don't expect to get them by not working for it. A complete routine would involve wrist curls, static holds or hangs, and possibly crush or pinch grip training.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Agreed with DaChickenShowYo..

Chicken, what is the largest muscle in the forearm?

PowerManDL-
    The flexors and the extensors both make up a good portion of your lower arms, while your brachioradialis makes up the bulk of your lower arms. Your brachioradialis is the active muscle along with your brachialis and biceps that is stimulated when you perform hammer curls.

PowerManDL-
    Also why does it matter what the largest muscle in your lower arm is?

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    PowerManDL-
    The flexors and the extensors both make up a good portion of your lower arms, while your brachioradialis makes up the bulk of your lower arms.
    Exactly. Now why would I waste time on those tiny extensor/flexors when I could do a few sets for the brachioradialis and be done with it, letting the heavy grip training target the remainder?

PowerManDL-
    You have a good point bro. I never really thought about it like that. I dont know I just think that the extensors and flexors would benefit from 1-2 sets. Nothing major. Maybe a set of reverse and regular wrist curls. Always worked for me!

Hammers and reverse curls do really effectively stimulate your brachioradialis though.

Bigger fewl
    I see what you are saying powerman, but I wasn't refering to the brachioradialis. Personally when I say forearms I mean extensors and flexors, for me the brachioradialis get hit hard from regular curls, so I consider them part of my biceps training for the most part.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

DaChickenShowYo-
    You said something about your forearms getting extremely sore etc. I was thinking and mine dont really get that sore etc. Do you let the bar roll down to the tips of your fingertips on each rep?

just how do you do a static hold? like you load up on like a smith and stand there and hold it till you can no longer?
    No-one answered this one yet, and id like to know too.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough