Thread: Rate my progression, London style

Banned

Rate my progression, London style

Ok lads, take into account that i'm a 6 foot 1 and half meso-ectomorph when advising or commenting on me, yeah?

I started working out again about 6 weeks ago at a crap gym in uni. When I started out I weighed in at an average 12 and a half stone (bout 177lbs) I have sinced stepped it up a level from that first week and weigh in at an astonishing and ripped 190lbs. Also take into account that I hail from LONDON, ENGLAND where not everybody is as big as me, unlike the states. So while it may seem small to most of you Americans/Canadians, i'm considered to be MASSIVE in my country.

Ok, I feel like i've progressed a lot so i'll shall with you lot, innit.

Flat Benchpress: I started out by bench pressing 60 kgs (132lbs). This was my starting point. It may seem like a lot to start with, but I do quite a lot of press ups every now and again. So it wasn't until the 4th week of my gym membership where I progressed to being able to do 5 sets of 70kgs bench press (154lbs). Since then, I decided to step it up a level and go for 80kgs! But I can only do that about 6 times, to be honest. It's quite heavy for me to lift, and I need a spotter when I get to the 4th rep, but don't you guys still think that's quite a progression.

Leg curls (quadriceps workload) I can leg curl (machine) about 200lbs, lads.

Back/Lats: I can pull on the pulldown machine 150kg

Ok, lads, what do you think?

What about squat and deadlift?
    5'8
    182lbs
    Havin' a lil' fat trim.

I think you are awesome.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

from 177 you went to 190lbs in a week NO WAY AND RIPPED NO WAY!
    Last edited by getfit; 02-26-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

More Cowbell
    Also take into account that I hail from LONDON, ENGLAND where not everybody is as big as me, unlike the states. So while it may seem small to most of you Americans/Canadians, i'm considered to be MASSIVE in my country.
    I dont get it

i think you sound like a complete tw*t, and i also think that your confused, 190lbs is not considered 'MASSIVE' over here

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit View Post
    from 177 you went to 190lbs in a week NO WAY AND RIPPED NO WAY!

He didn't say that.

Read the SECOND sentence of his post more carefully. Then read the fourth.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
    Ok lads, take into account that i'm a 6 foot 1 and half meso-ectomorph when advising or commenting on me, yeah?

I started working out again about 6 weeks ago at a crap gym in uni. When I started out I weighed in at an average 12 and a half stone (bout 177lbs) I have sinced stepped it up a level from that first week and weigh in at an astonishing and ripped 190lbs. Also take into account that I hail from LONDON, ENGLAND where not everybody is as big as me, unlike the states. So while it may seem small to most of you Americans/Canadians, i'm considered to be MASSIVE in my country.

Ok, I feel like i've progressed a lot so i'll shall with you lot, innit.

Flat Benchpress: I started out by bench pressing 60 kgs (132lbs). This was my starting point. It may seem like a lot to start with, but I do quite a lot of press ups every now and again. So it wasn't until the 4th week of my gym membership where I progressed to being able to do 5 sets of 70kgs bench press (154lbs). Since then, I decided to step it up a level and go for 80kgs! But I can only do that about 6 times, to be honest. It's quite heavy for me to lift, and I need a spotter when I get to the 4th rep, but don't you guys still think that's quite a progression.

Leg curls (quadriceps workload) I can leg curl (machine) about 200lbs, lads.

Back/Lats: I can pull on the pulldown machine 150kg

Ok, lads, what do you think?

You're doing alright. Ditch the machines and focus on free weights. Bench press, deadlifts, squats, chins, dips and lunges for a start.

Machines lock you into a rigid pattern which over time can lead to injury. Also they don't work your stabilizers.

Free weights are better for moving with your body and force you to stablize the weight yourself. Plus they allow you to use the best exercises for size and strength.

To the other posters. Take it easy. I don't see where his post warranted the nasty remarks. Doesn't sound to me like he was bragging. He even admitted that he was probably "small" compared to most of us over here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    You're doing alright. Ditch the machines and focus on free weights. Bench press, deadlifts, squats, chins, dips and lunges for a start.

Machines lock you into a rigid pattern which over time can lead to injury. Also they don't work your stabilizers.

Free weights are better for moving with your body and force you to stablize the weight yourself. Plus they allow you to use the best exercises for size and strength.

To the other posters. Take it easy. I don't see where his post warranted the nasty remarks. Doesn't sound to me like he was bragging. He even admitted that he was probably "small" compared to most of us over here.

Cheers mate, appreciate the advice a lot. Somebody did tell me something about sticking to free weighs to develop strength as well as muscle mass. That said, I get worried in terms of develop body mass because I can usually go heavier on machines than I can with free weights (with the exception of the bench press machines, which is a bit weird).

And to those who got confused reading my post, I meant that I went from 177lbs to 190lbs in six weeks.

But yeah Songsang, I will make sure I stick to free weights as much as I can. Though, would it not be a good idea to change to free weights for a week once in awhile?

Banned
    Oh, and my maximum deadlfit is about 220lbs for 8 reps, I think. Sqats is about 200lbs for 5 reps. Probably not all that great, but I feel the burn and i'm just starting out.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
    Cheers mate, appreciate the advice a lot. Somebody did tell me something about sticking to free weighs to develop strength as well as muscle mass. (1) That said, I get worried in terms of develop body mass because I can usually go heavier on machines than I can with free weights (with the exception of the bench press machines, which is a bit weird).

And to those who got confused reading my post, I meant that I went from 177lbs to 190lbs in six weeks.

But yeah Songsang, I will make sure I stick to free weights as much as I can. Though, would it not be a good idea to change to (2) free weights for a week once in awhile?

(numbers are mine)

1. The reason you can go heavier on machines is because machines balance the weight for you. With free weights you have to balance the weight yourself, putting your stabilizers into play. Also machines have certain leverage factors which also help to lift the weight. Another problem is this. Machines are not standarized. 100 lbs on one machine could feel like 130 lbs on another or 70 lbs on yet another. Also if the machine is not properly set up, that could also affect the lift. As well they lock you (as I said before) into a fixed pattern which may not be the best for your body and could lead to a repetitive pattern injury.

2. No. Changing back and forth from machines to free weights (frequently) is not a good idea because your CNS doesn't get much of a chance to adapt to say nothing of your muscles. Plus the other factors that I mentioned above. Stick with free weights. For the best results in muscle mass and strength they are time-proven. Yes for the first while you will struggle to lift the weights you could on machines (you should start with lighter weights for safety's sake) However with a few hard months of constant training, eating and sleeping right you should be exceeding your original poundages on the machines...but doing it with free weights.

Banned
    Cheers bruv, that really is appreciated. I took your advice and enforced it in my chest and back work out yesterday...i'm acking BIG TIME today, lol. I'm honestly just gonna stick to free weights when it comes to everything. That said, I will still use the lat pulldown machine once in awhile. That's about the only machine I will use. But yeah, for everything else, I will just use free weights and develop some serious power on my body.