Thread: Any opinions on rep lifting?

Any opinions on rep lifting?

I am thinking of doing something along the lines of thos to shake things up for about 8 weeks.

Monday:
    Dead lift 140kg
    Rower squat/Front squat 60kg
    Barbell Row 50kg
    Dumbbell shoulder press 20kgs

Friday:
    Back squat 100kg
    Stiff Leg Dead lift 100kg
    Barbell military press 50kg
    Dumbbell double handed row 20kgs

Maximal reps (near failure)
    4 total circuits.

The basic idea is to do as many reps as possible with a set weight for the duration of the program and aim to increase reps, not weight. I can do all the weights lifted for 10+ reps, the goals is to be in the 20s by the end of 8 weeks. Doing the exercises in order as listed for 4 total circuits. I have done it in circuits with pretty high volume to stimulate what its like in a rowing race

OPTIONAL: Assistance and power day. I will do this if I am feeling up for it.
    Wednesday:
    Power lifts;
    Power cleans/hang cleans
    Snatches/light overhead squats

No set rep scheme, this workout is simply to produce power thought the power lifts, probably working up to heavier sets at very fast speeds, focusing on explosive power and control.

Heavy triceps, Light chest training
    Rack bench lockouts 5x5
    Triceps dumbbell extensions 3x8
    Pec flyes 3x12
    Varied cline light weight benching. 3x12

Now this goes on top of some pretty heavy ergo-rower training. So some extrmeley intense long cardio. I have done it in circuits with pretty high volume to stimulate what its like in a rowing race.

I think the 2 set days going for maximal reps and one optional workout for other things is sufficient.

Any thoughts?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

wow what kind of rest intervals would you have between cuircuits also do you rest between exercise or go immediatly tothe next??...personally I would probaly pick a time to do the exercises for beacuse if you go to physical failure on every set by the last cuircuit it would seem like you would only be getting barley 1 if you know what I mean
    looks like it will be very challenging goodluck!

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    How does it interact with your rowing ?

It doesnt directly interact.

the idea is that I keep my heart rate and movement up for an extended amount of time, while under a heavy workload, the tempo will be like that of a race, so pretty fast.

ALso, new thought, rather then lifting to real failure, Ill lift till I start slowing down. 30 second breaks between excersises and the circuits. So its always intense and continuos.

Bascially theres the main lift, then the rowing specific motion lift, and then a pulling and over head excersises. The overhead is simply for balance.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Sorry, I ment schedule wise

Oh...

Well something along the lines of extremely intense cardio once or maybe twice a day ranging from 22 to 60 minutes of consistently high heart rate work.

---ALso, new thought, rather then lifting to real failure, Ill lift till I start slowing down. 30 second breaks between excersises and the circuits. So its always intense and continuos

I like that much better...more realistic you said you have done similar cuircuits before so you must know what you are getting your self into..have fun!!

So same day rowing as weights. So how you days of the weights sessions isn't relevent to the rowing and vice versa as the clash is unavoidable.

Ther will be a good 12 hour gap between lifting and rowing.

Also... Im thinkng of taking out the shoulder excercise from the circuit and doing the other 3 rowing type movments, then doing overheads after the circuits.

Thoughts?

And the ergo training will be followed by some core stability stuff, and maybe bodyweight excersises, pushups, inverted rows, dips, chins and jum squats.

Be careful about rep tempo and technique - don't get carried away with the idea that you have to do fast reps for there to be carryover to your rowing.

You might look into EDT: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86602
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Sensei, thank you so muich for that.

As to the speed, I know whats reasonable, dont worry.

Fuzzy,

Do you mainly lift for enhanced performance with your rowing?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I lift for alot of reasons.

Right now, Im hell bent on one thing, making 1st 8 senior crew in 9 months time.

But I like lifting heavy to, and I love powerlifting.