The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    133

    Concerns about Bench and DB Press on the same day

    First of all, why am I doing them on the same day then? Cuz WBB#1 said so, and that's my only reason.

    So I always start out my Monday workout with Bench press, I do 3x6 (or to failure). Then I might do Deadlifts, then probably DB press (though the order changes a little every week; sometimes I do chinups or dips first).

    Anyways, the way I see it, Bench has so far wiped out my chest that I'm really not getting anywhere with my (Incline) DB Press. I was stuck at 30's for more than a month. MAJOR wtf at that, considering I'm curling more than that. Yes, I Hammer Curl more than I can DB Press, that's wrong right? So anyways, I moved up to the 35's and was doing ok, but then I got really sick, and now I can barely do the 30's again.

    I mean, friggin 30's? I repeat, I can curl more than that >_>
    My bench is (this also dropped a good 10 pounds after I got sick) 125 for 3x6 right now. By comparison, I think I should be doing way more than 30's.

    So anyways, my options:

    a) Move DB Press to a differnt day, which would be weird, since Monday is my chest day
    b) Don't do DB Press at all right now
    c) Do DB Press before Bench
    d) I don't know

    <_<

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by freac View Post
    First of all, why am I doing them on the same day then? Cuz WBB#1 said so, and that's my only reason.

    So I always start out my Monday workout with Bench press, I do 3x6 (or to failure). Then I might do Deadlifts, then probably DB press (though the order changes a little every week; sometimes I do chinups or dips first).

    Anyways, the way I see it, Bench has so far wiped out my chest that I'm really not getting anywhere with my (Incline) DB Press. I was stuck at 30's for more than a month. MAJOR wtf at that, considering I'm curling more than that. Yes, I Hammer Curl more than I can DB Press, that's wrong right? So anyways, I moved up to the 35's and was doing ok, but then I got really sick, and now I can barely do the 30's again.

    I mean, friggin 30's? I repeat, I can curl more than that >_>
    My bench is (this also dropped a good 10 pounds after I got sick) 125 for 3x6 right now. By comparison, I think I should be doing way more than 30's.

    So anyways, my options:

    a) Move DB Press to a differnt day, which would be weird, since Monday is my chest day
    b) Don't do DB Press at all right now
    c) Do DB Press before Bench
    d) I don't know

    <_<
    "The body doesn't know muscles. It only knows movements."

    -Mel Siff

    "If you are still training body parts and not movements, you have missed a signifigant amount of information written on the subject of resistance training in the past 10 years."

    -Mike Boyle

  4. #3
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Well, you've only been doing this routine for a month, and you got sick in that time frame as well. I think you might be expecting a little too much. That, and you're doing 3 sets when it only calls for two. Stick to the routine.

    Secondly, you're a little skinny man! Are you eating enough? You gotta eat to get stronger.

    Thirdly, I don't recommend training to failure. It looks like you're doing that frequently. I'd stop if that's what you're doing. I never train to failure.

    As far as upping the weights, let's say on your next workout you successfully do all of your sets with 30 pounds. The next week, up it to 35. Then say you only do something like 6, 6, 2 for reps. Do it again the next week until you hit all of your reps, then up the weight to 40.

    There's also the option of not training with the dumbbells. Some people (Myself included) do exclusively one or the other.
    However, I have trained two chest workouts on the same day as well. You will be weaker on the second in my experience.
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    133
    Err nevermind. Is it even possible to delete posts on this forum?
    Last edited by freac; 03-01-2007 at 03:56 PM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member shoot4dabigtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    116
    do not move the incline db's. what is your rest length like between sets?
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be a good friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    133
    Well, you've only been doing this routine for a month, and you got sick in that time frame as well. I think you might be expecting a little too much. That, and you're doing 3 sets when it only calls for two. Stick to the routine.
    I have been doing two actually (typo in first post)...or at least I do when I remember to. Sometimes I act like an idiot and forget I'm only supposed to do 2 sets...like what I did yestarday with Hammer curls. Oops X_x

    Secondly, you're a little skinny man! Are you eating enough? You gotta eat to get stronger.
    I've heard that one before. I'm trying >_>

    Thirdly, I don't recommend training to failure. It looks like you're doing that frequently. I'd stop if that's what you're doing. I never train to failure.
    So...what do you do then? I mean, I never go over my set number of reps (6 or 8). WHat I meant when I said to failure in my first post, and I realize now I used the term wrong, is that I go until I get to my limit (6/8) or I can't do anymore. Like Bench lately I barely get more than 2 reps on my last set.

    Thanks for the advice

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    133
    do not move the incline db's. what is your rest length like between sets?
    K. And uhh, I don't time it or anything, but until I feel ready for another set. I definately get plenty of rest, if anything too much.

  9. #8
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by freac View Post
    K. And uhh, I don't time it or anything, but until I feel ready for another set. I definately get plenty of rest, if anything too much.
    That's fine. Go when you're ready.

    As far as number of reps, pick a number. Do either 6 or 8.

    As far as training to failure, I want to make sure we are on the same page.
    e.g.
    Say I'm attempting 100 pounds of something for 10 reps. I get the ninth rep up, but I'm pretty sure the last one is going to be a miss.
    Don't try for that last rep, just rack the bar.

    So when training, try this route:

    Pick a weight that's going to be tough, but you think you can get close to finishing all your reps with. Do that weight, and if you finish your 2x6-8, up it by 5 pounds next week. If you finish again, add another 5. Again, another 5, etc.
    If you DON'T finish (Say you're going for 8 reps and only get 7), try the weight again the next week, unless you're feeling confident about adding more weight.

    I used WBB1 at one point early in my lifting career, and this was how I trained with good results. I hope this info helps you.
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

  10. #9
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by freac View Post
    I mean, I never go over my set number of reps (6 or 8). WHat I meant when I said to failure in my first post, and I realize now I used the term wrong, is that I go until I get to my limit (6/8) or I can't do anymore. Like Bench lately I barely get more than 2 reps on my last set.

    I missed that last part.

    If you're going for 6 or 8 reps and you only hit two reps on your last set, that's definitely too much weight. Lower the weight until you can actually complete all reps on both sets, then use the strategy I mentioned above when adding weight.
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Similar Threads

  1. November 8, 2004 - Present
    By FenianIrish in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 05:05 PM
  2. OVT or this 4 day split for me?
    By depsyphor in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 06:24 PM
  3. A New Walk
    By Saturday Fever in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-02-2002, 11:27 AM
  4. DB bench press VS. BB bench press
    By Black_Curtain in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-31-2002, 02:29 AM
  5. Training Cycles
    By The Cobra in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2001, 01:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •