Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like big and strong arms?

Paul Stagg-
    Where do you find that at? Is it a website or a book or what?

"1. In your opinion, what is a better mass builder for triceps (from your experience and research), skulls or close grip benches. Im talking about direct tricep work. "

what about dips?
    also why dont you like rope attachment pulleys?
    and once again is that 5 sets for bis and tris each, or together?

Damn thaz a lot of questions! Not all at once boys...besides my question came first so...muaaaaahahahaha!!!(crazy laugh)
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

to tell u guys the truth, i was doin a low volume routine for awhile with super intensity, the kind that made ya wanna puke. just recently i tried to change it up a little and have been doin high volume, high intensity, med. freqency and im def. gettin more defined and muscular looking. more vascular is the word. eventually when gains slow down, i will jump back on to a low volume routine

I got mine at ironmind.com

They've got lots of neat toys.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

3 sets of weighted dips
    3 sets of DB curls

progression, progression, progression.

now my arms are huge compared to the rest of my body

Don't eat the yellow snow

I'll be honest and say that I haven't read any of the links about HST training, although my gut feeling is I will have some beefs about it.

For rest periods, I suggest 2 minutes plus (I tend to wait 3-4 minutes) for heavier exercises with straight sets. When I use pre-exhaustion etc., the rest time obviously varies. I go by feel, not by a watch.

I like weighted dips, if you read my journal you will see I use them. He asked about tricep specific exercises, any kind of bench or dip is a compound exercise.

As for ropes, the manner in which you must hold them makes the grip a limiting factor in the exercise, I want to work my triceps, not my grip when training triceps.

By high intensity I mean taking each post warmup set to failure, yes.
    Last edited by chris mason; 02-20-2002 at 07:04 PM.

Originally posted by Jeremy
    ...he means taking every set to failure... not the optimal way to train in my opinion..but that's just my opinion (and the opinion of nearly every single top powerlifting, olympic lifting champion and even many bodybuilders) so take it with a grain of salt

Ahhh, the voice of dissent. Well, I might argue that none of the people on this site fit into the category you just mentioned. I think you might also find that those individuals you mentioned gained a large degree of their size and stregth by training to failure. I have my own opinions about how advanced trainees should perform their workouts, but that is for another day.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Ahhh, the voice of dissent. Well, I might argue that none of the people on this site fit into the category you just mentioned
    *raises hand*
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Just a thought I'll throw out...since the biceps are a relatively small muscle recovery time should possibly be much less than say that of a quad or pectoral group. So you work your bis on back day, and while your back is recovering your biceps are already fully recovered, so couldn't you also work them again on your chest day, and perhaps even leg day? This of course isn't what I'm recommending but just wondering on the physiology of smaller musclegroups.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Chris,

Do you take any supplements?

Regular pure creatine and I do take MRPs on my stricter diet days (5 days per week).

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by ElPietro
    Just a thought I'll throw out...since the biceps are a relatively small muscle recovery time should possibly be much less than say that of a quad or pectoral group. So you work your bis on back day, and while your back is recovering your biceps are already fully recovered, so couldn't you also work them again on your chest day, and perhaps even leg day? This of course isn't what I'm recommending but just wondering on the physiology of smaller musclegroups.

Good question! I've read once that allowing a fully recovered muscle to go over 48 hours will start the atrophy process. I may have read it wrong though. I'm interested in knowing the truth to this also.

i train biceps to failure 2x a week and they're growing but interestingly they're not gettin all that stronger b\c i believe for strength i'd back off on the # of exercises and volume, same frequency tho and just tear it up. i am tho training my biceps with high intensity more than once a week if anyones interested in how it works.

by the way i train biceps on shoulder, chest or shoulder day it just all depends on when biceps falls on that day. i rotate triceps and biceps with the different days but they both get worked twice a week b\c i believe they have a shorter recovery time

Chris you get realy big arms but after 10 years ! I'm not sure you are working in the right direction for size !

what do you think all ?
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

gavan,
    There is point at which arms(or any other body part) will not get any bigger. Im pretty sure chris is basically their, and has been for a long time. I will be lucky if my arms ever hit 18, they are by far my worst bodypart.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

3:16
    Originally posted by tony touch
    i train biceps to failure 2x a week and they're growing but interestingly they're not gettin all that stronger b\c i believe for strength i'd back off on the # of exercises and volume, same frequency tho and just tear it up. i am tho training my biceps with high intensity more than once a week if anyones interested in how it works.

if you train them twice. do one day at a lower intensity as they are probably not recovering nueraly, but they have time to recover hypertrophly. So to get them stronger, they take longer to recover, but if trian them with enough intensity to grow but not intense enough to decrease nueral adaptions. This could help get them stronger but not loose hypertrophy results.
    read up on wave periodization, powerman and chris have both mentioned it.

Have your tried trianing them once a week? I only use a week programme as I do other activities. If only did wieghts I may do a body part every 5-9 days to see which is the best for me.
    Your body does not work on a 7 day cycle.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Gavan, my arms have been bigger. In fact, they have been just about 19.5". There are not many guys with bigger muscular arms than that (although they are out there). I think you may be under the 23" guns syndrome. Arnold had arms that measured under 20" (cold) when he competed (they may have exceeded 20" in the off season if he bulked up). In addition, without drug use and excess bodyfat, there is an upper limit where arm growth will only be in painfully small increments.

Chris I know about the real measruements made by Arthur Jones. The biggest Arms were Oliva's 20.25'' I think Coleman get 21.5''

Anyway these both guy are/were on drugs. And when you said you get 19.5'' that's simply HUGE !!! I thought it was impossible without drugs.... ! (or for a giant man) 19.5'' was the measurement Jones made for Arnold's arms ! If you realy get 19.5'' lean Guns then you are a Genetic's monster !

But here is not the debate. What I wanted to know is how many times did you need to achieve this size ?! Because I think I could get a 18'' after 5-10 years with any kind of training. But what's interessant is to find the fastest way to increase his arm's size !
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Wannabebig Member
    just 5 sets with 1 excerise enough for max muscle growth??

Getting back to the original post by Chris, I would be interested in seeing the article with specific routines, etc.

Well Gavan, I was not in contest shape at the time, although my bodyfat was not very high. I was also taking steroids at that time. True 19.5" arms are extremely difficult for a natural athlete (of normal height, i.e. not 6'8"). Gavan, I began training with high intensity and low volume after about 1 year of training. I think it took me about 3 years to get to 18" + arms (so 2 years or so of proper training). Are you French (interessant is my clue)?

Hey guys, be patient with me. I will get an article (or sticky) out very soon which will provide a specific routine that will gurantee 1/2 " on your arms in 1 month!

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Originally posted by chris mason
    Hey guys, be patient with me. I will get an article (or sticky) out very soon which will provide a specific routine that will gurantee 1/2 " on your arms in 1 month!
    LOL, sorry i had to laugh you sounded like the cover of Flex magazine.

cant wait for the article though

I hunger for the Pain !!!!
    With so few a set for biceps. Do you spilt that up into 2-3 excercises and do 1 or 2 sets with each or what and which excercise do you do. Wide grip and incline curls or what?