Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my tiny calves

MACHINE

my tiny calves

Any suggestions?

Current calf routine - beat them at the gym until they're big and full of blood, then go home and watch them shrink back to original size. Calf routine varies, but Sunday I did 4 sets beyond failure on a hack squat machine. Reps ranged from 25 on the first set to 15 on the last with heavy weight. It's wierd because my calves are small, but they're probably the strongest muscle on my body for my size. I can use the entire stack on the calf raise machine for many reps, I can use 6 plates on each side of the leg press machine for many reps, I can dunk a basketball with 2 hands, etc. They just won't grow though. Any suggestions? I've exhausted about every option - high reps, low reps, slow reps, explosive reps, more sets, less sets, etc. I know that my calf size is restricted by genetics, but if there's anything I can do(besides synthol) to catch them up even the slightest bit to my relatively large thighs, I'd like to give it a try. I really just think that there's no more options other than maintaining what size I have gained over the years.

Calves - 15-1/2"
    Thighs - 26"+
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Go bicycle for a few miles every few days...mine grew like crazy.

What helped my calf size was doing lower reps, 10-15. When I was doing high reps, I couldn't get my calf size to increase at all, started doing lower reps about a month ago and I've already notice a big improvement in size.

Tell me this..what would blast your calves more and help them get stronger bigger...doing 10-30 reps on a seated/standing calf machine or going for a 5-10 mile bike ride, throwing in a few nice inclines every now and then...I'll give you the answer...the bike ride Ever seen the size of the calves of professional bicycle riders or anyone who bikes a lot? They're big.

Originally posted by CBates
    What helped my calf size was doing lower reps, 10-15.

if 10-15 is lower reps...what do you consider high reps?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

MACHINE
    probably more like the reps I was doing - 15-25.

I don't have a bike, nor do I particularly like bike riding. Plus, I live in an urban area, so I'd be spending more time avoiding getting run over by crazy drivers than riding
    Last edited by gino; 02-19-2002 at 11:06 AM.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

ah i see. see how closely i read your posts?

i do about 15-ish reps, and upping them from the standard 8-12 actually helped my calf growth. they haven't grown a lot cuz i'm cutting, but they have grown.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

MACHINE
    hmm, any other suggestions?

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Gino, my calves are worthless as well. Like forearms, they are a genetic have, or have not. Unfortunately, we are in the latter category. So, while they can ne helped, they will never be a strong suit. As for exercises, the best one out there for overall calf size in the donkey calf raise. Are you familiar with these? Perform them with a partner (or machine built for them) on your back in order to add resistance and perform sets of 20 reps. You really need to beat the **** out of your calves for them to respond. I suggest after each set of 20, you have your partner get off and you continue with just your bodyweight until you cannot budge. If that doesn't help, say **** it and be glad the rest of you is good!

MACHINE
    I do those occasionally. Why are they better though? Is it because you are less likely to cheat? I know I'm more likely to bend my legs slightly to help move the weight when doing other exercises. My calves do seem to respond a little better to higher reps. I guess I'll just have to hit up the synthol. lol, or get implants like the idiot on MTV.

"Now I'm the total package" - lmao that the guy said that and looked like he did.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Is there a stationary bike at the gym?

MACHINE
    lol, my calves are only 1-1/2" bigger than my forearms.

Yeah, there's a stationary bike, but I've always had trouble using them. It feels awkward and uncomfortable for some reason.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Well, I read about them many years ago, then I tried them and found them to be great.

Here is what Ellington Darden has to say about them:

"Donkey calf raises are effective primarily because of your body's positioning.

1. The bent-over position applies your partner's bodyweight in a more direct line over your calves than would a barbell placed on your shoulders.

2. The bent-over position isolates the gastrocnemius muscles better by allowing you to keep your knees firmly locked. Bending the knees even slightly tranfers some of the resistance away from your calves to your thighs.

3. The bent-over position allows more complete muscular contraction because you can get up on your toes better in the top position.

4. The bent-over position provides for more effective muscular stretch in that you can force your heels lower and lower in a progressive manner."

MACHINE
    Just as I suspected. Thanks for the info.

DONKEY CALF RAISES HERE I COME! 25" CALVES HERE I COME!

yeah, more like 16" calves, here I come...

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Always bad with diet
    Play a lot of basketball. My calves look like I have boards in my legs.

Well mine are 17" and I blame that on bicycling.

I'm full on Dorian Yates-style (HIT)... low reps on everything. I've found that I gain the most mass when I do about 4-6 reps on most large muscles, and 6-8 or 8-10 on smaller muscles.

Simplistic
    walking or running on the incline setting on the treadmill may help

mine suck too, i try many things. i started doing a set of claves after every set of legs i do and then ill do some more at the end.

3-4 days later ill do 14-15 sets of calves in a special calves workout.

its actually starting to work but very slowly and please dont scream overtraining b\c its the only thing theyre responding too. low frequency and volume suck when it comes to calves

Of coarse you all no this, but no one mentioned it. There is only ONE way to make a muscle bigger, and that is to eat more than maintenance calories. My suggestion is to keep the weight heavy and go for broke. Use whatever rep range you want but focus on progression. Try and get one more rep each workout and keep your form very strict. For that purpose alone I have been sticking lower reps for calves as I find it easier to count to say 8 or 10 than 25 or 30 when pushing things to the limit.

And as a reminder " Eat to grow, progression to get stronger "

Gino, I know I am telling you something obviously you already know, but sometimes people need reminders.

(Note to self, why is this ribbon wrapped around my finger)
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

MACHINE
    Believe me, I have no place telling anyone how to do calves. Whatever works.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Hey gino you could try and walk around on your toes for awhile you'll look gay as hell but it might help your calves out. Also I have heard those shoes that are weighted at the bottom help with calf size.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Hey gino was that you on MTV last week getting those calve implants??

Try:

Running . . .

Hills, relatively steep ones. Start w/a single cycle and continue to work-up to multiples. Your calves will grow proportionately to the work they are asked to do and will look terrific as NATURE (gravity/bodyweight) is doing the work.

Bleachers/Stairs. (follow above protocol)

Throw-in a few sets w/weight to shap 'em and your set.

Best Regards,

Last edited by MRJ; 02-19-2002 at 04:15 PM.

my unorthodox suggestion is to go for long runs on soft sand