Thread: New 3 Day Routine - How does it look?

Wannabebig Member

New 3 Day Routine - How does it look?

I've been doing WWB1 for about a year now and got good results from it. I am taking this week off from lifting and then I'm going to start a new routine next week. How does the routine below look? Please let me know if there is anything I should add/remove or whatever.

Day 1
    Flat BB Bench Press 3x6-8
    Low Incline DB Press 2x6-8
    Hammer High Row 2x6-8
    DB Curl 2x6-8
    Hammer Curl 2x6-8
    Wrist Roller 2x6-8

Day 2
    Off

Day3
    ATF Squat 3x6-8
    Lunge 3x6-8
    Leg Curl 2x6-8
    Seated Calf Raise 2x6-8
    Side Bends 2x6-8
    Incline Situp 2x6-8

Day 4
    Off

Day5
    Pull Ups 2x6-8
    Deadlift 3x6-8
    BB Bent Over Row 3x6-8
    DB Shrug 2x6-8
    Military Press 2x6-8
    Pushdown 2x6-8
    Tri Extension 2x6-8

Day 6
    Off

Day 7
    Off
    Last edited by Desolator; 03-05-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolator View Post
    I've been doing WWB1 for about a year now and got good results from it. I am taking this week off from lifting and then I'm going to start a new routine next week. How does the routine below look? Please let me know if there is anything I should add/remove or whatever.

Day 1
    Flat BB Bench Press 3x6-8
    Low Incline DB Press 2x6-8
    Hammer High Row 2x6-8
    DB Curl 2x6-8
    Hammer Curl 2x6-8
    Wrist Roller 2x6-8

Day 2
    Off

Day3
    ATF Squat 3x6-8
    Lunge 3x6-8
    Leg Curl 2x6-8
    Seated Calf Raise 2x6-8
    Side Bends 2x6-8
    Incline Situp 2x6-8

Day 4
    Off

Day5
    Pull Ups 2x6-8
    Deadlift 3x6-8
    BB Bent Over Row 3x6-8
    DB Shrug 2x6-8
    Military Press 2x6-8
    Pushdown 2x6-8
    Tri Extension 2x6-8

Day 6
    Off

Day 7
    Off
    What are your goals? Size, strength, endurance....?

Wow, a whopping three whole sets of Squats per week! Whew!

Juxtaposed against the six sets of curls and "wrist rollers" [what the hell are those?] you plan on doing I'd say overall this is a pretty subpar routine.

But that's just me.

If you consider yourself "finished" with WBB, now is probably a very good time to look into Bill Starr.
    Last edited by beatlesfreak; 03-05-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    What are your goals? Size, strength, endurance....?
    Size and strength are basically my goals. I try to add more weight to the bar or do more reps on big compound movements as often as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesfreak View Post
    Wow, a whopping three whole sets of Squats per week! Whew!

Juxtaposed against the six sets of curls and "wrist rollers" [what the hell are those?] you plan on doing I'd say overall this is a pretty subpar routine.

But that's just me.

If you consider yourself "finished" with WBB, now is probably a very good time to look into Bill Starr.
    Well, those are 3 working sets. I usually do about 3 sets before that to warm up.

Where do I have 6 sets of curls listed?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...stFlexion.html

Please expand on why it is a sub par routine.
    Last edited by Desolator; 03-06-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Drop the wrist rollers, leg curls( I'd replace these with front squats) and tri extensions. Other than that it looks fairly good. You have the big compound exercises in there, you don't have excessively high volume, you have plenty of rest and for the most part the exercises are in pretty decent order...you might want to switch pull-ups and deadlifts around though.

Keep in mind though that even the best routine will not work without plenty of food and rest. And yes keep adding weight to the bar every so often..you don't have to do that every workout (that's impossible) but overall you should keep moving up. A journal would be a good idea since that way you can more accurately both track your progress and see where you are lagging.

Good luck!

Drop the wrist rollers, leg curls( I'd replace these with front squats) and tri extensions. Other than that it looks fairly good. You have the big compound exercises in there, you don't have excessively high volume, you have plenty of rest and for the most part the exercises are in pretty decent order...you might want to switch pull-ups and deadlifts around though.

Keep in mind though that even the best routine will not work without plenty of food and rest. And yes keep adding weight to the bar every so often..you don't have to do that every workout (that's impossible) but overall you should keep moving up. A journal would be a good idea since that way you can more accurately both track your progress and see where you are lagging.

Good luck!

I'd rather see him replace the leg curls with either some SLDLs or some RDLs. Depending on his form, he has the majority of his lower work as quad dominant movements. I'd like to see him put some hamstring work in there. What was the reasoning for the Front Squats replacing the Leg Curls, instead of a hamstring centered movement?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious about why I should drop the tri extensions. I was thinking about possibly replacing leg curls with good mornings.

I'd personally rather see you do Close Grip Bench Press in place of the Tri Extensions. I also think you should stick with a movement like a SLDL or RDL. I personally don't believe "new" lifters (me included) get too much out of GMs. I use them as assistance, but only every now and then. I find that I get much more carryover when utilizing the movements I listed above.

Your Day 5 looks more demanding then your day 1/3. Then again you have an extra day of recovery after day 5.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I'd rather see him replace the leg curls with either some SLDLs or some RDLs. Depending on his form, he has the majority of his lower work as quad dominant movements. I'd like to see him put some hamstring work in there. What was the reasoning for the Front Squats replacing the Leg Curls, instead of a hamstring centered movement?
    It's more of a power movement...I don't believe that intermediate lifters benefit much from worrying about whether their movements are hamstring or quad centered, I think they should stick with compounds that hit the most muscle, both quads and hamstrings. But okay depending on preference I could see putting RDL's in there...not a big fan of the SLDL's but if he tries them and likes them no reason why not.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-07-2007 at 03:22 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolator View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious about why I should drop the tri extensions..
    It's really not a strength or size gaining exercise. CGBP's as another poster suggested would be better for those goals.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-07-2007 at 03:22 AM.

It's more of a power movement...I don't believe that intermediate lifters benefit much from worrying about whether their movements are hamstring or quad centered, I think they should stick with compounds that hit the most muscle, both quads and hamstrings. But okay depending on preference I could see putting RDL's in there...not a big fan of the SLDL's but if he tries them and likes them no reason why not.
    I see what you're saying. I was thinking about things more in the future. I'd like to see him stay as balanced as possible as far as where he generates the majority of his power. If he ever decides to switch his form (Conv to Sumo) he won't have to catch up as much by trying to develop his hamstring and lowerback strength. Just my .02, though I can see where you are coming from.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all of the input. I'll be making some changes.