The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

upper back... help!!!

I feel extremely foolish for asking this...

but how can I get my lower traps up to par with my upper traps and the width of my back.

my problem is not a lack of pulling motions, more that no matter what grip width, style or excersise I feel little or not contraction being done in my upper back.

In fact, its as if my bis and rear delts take ALL the work.

The one excersises I did feel some work being done was narrow grip pull ups with palms facing me.

Any other ideas?

BB and DB rows, and any othe rback excersise I can think of simply only hit my lats, rear delts and bis.

Thanks.

see, theyr hardly sticking out, even at a high body fat percentage, they should be bigger.

im happy with the width... just not the the thickness.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

for me, shrugs hit the upper traps, and deadlifts seem to hit lower traps (or maybe it's the rhomboids, but what ever it hits, that's the spot I feel it). But I assume you alread do deadlifts.

Width?
    Well, let me just start by saying that the following is just my opinion... it's always something that's been in my head, and is not based on specific information or an educated science. lol, but I always felt like wide grip pull ups (eagles) helped with back width. To me, it seems like narrow grip chin ups targets the lats more toward the backside of the ribs because your humerous is pointed away from the plan of the body. That is why I usually do both types of pull ups (or cable pulldowns, depending on the situation)

Zen, thanks man... but I was asking for back thickness, Im very happy in the width department.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

I'm fairly happy with my back width, as well. I doubt I would ever truely be happy, because I'll prolly never be big enough in any department. lol.

But for me, back 'thickness' seems to depend on how much bodyfat I am carrying. Back seems to be a conundrum, because with more bulk, it looks thicker, but with less bulk, the muscles show through better and I get the good topography.
    Last edited by zen; 03-08-2007 at 06:02 AM.

U should do more barbell rows, T bar etc... this type of exercises get the middle back hard. Bout traps, the good old barbell shrugs (I think in ur case behind the back) should do the job
    "Always striving to achieve the perfect body is not an easy task. It requires lots of sacrifices, organization and discipline. But personally, I wouldn't have it any other way..."

God didn't bless me a good genetics. Instead, He gave me the will to improve myself... until the day I die

Treat your body well. Feed it well and exercise it, so that you can use all it's beauty and strenght.

Quote Originally Posted by Fcancel View Post
    U should do more barbell rows, T bar etc... this type of exercises get the middle back hard. Bout traps, the good old barbell shrugs (I think in ur case behind the back) should do the job
    \

I said, its not a lack of these excerises, Im a rower for crying out load, I BB row my bench max for reps. No matter what, it feels as if all the work is done by my bis.

Is there a way around it?

Taking the bis out seems to only make it more lat or rear delt.

Try some band pull aparts, muscle snatches and seated DB cleans. You can find them all in detail on EliteFTS.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Here ya go Fuzzy, found it for you: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/up..._the_bench.htm
    Last edited by Chubrock; 03-08-2007 at 06:31 AM.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

you may want to look at your form when you row. Try to do some yates rows or pendlay rows and try to contract "back" not up.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    you may want to look at your form when you row. Try to do some yates rows or pendlay rows and try to contract "back" not up.
    If its not "excercise lacking", than I'll have to agree with Detard. Perhaps u're not pulling the bar close enough to the body, so that it hits only ur biceps on the pulling. But that's just a thought, perhaps u're doing it right than I wouldn't know the problem
    "Always striving to achieve the perfect body is not an easy task. It requires lots of sacrifices, organization and discipline. But personally, I wouldn't have it any other way..."

God didn't bless me a good genetics. Instead, He gave me the will to improve myself... until the day I die

Treat your body well. Feed it well and exercise it, so that you can use all it's beauty and strenght.

If thats back par with the floor then thats what I do, not just that, the bar touches my chest, I have to!!! Rows are important sports specific motion, I cant cheat them.

And thanks a tonne for the page chubrock!
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-08-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    \

I said, its not a lack of these excerises, Im a rower for crying out load, I BB row my bench max for reps. No matter what, it feels as if all the work is done by my bis.

Is there a way around it?

Taking the bis out seems to only make it more lat or rear delt.
    ohhhh I see now.
    I have the same issue as you. My back is stronger than my pecs. My pulling movements have always been more natural for me than pressing.
    Sometimes I get on the pec deck..... backwards. It feels odd at first, but I think it works. If you can put one of those extra pads in front of you that can help give you more ROM. On the one I have at home, the pec arms start about 30degrees back, so when I am turned around on it, I start my ROM about 30degrees forward, and then I try to squeeze my arms back as far as possible. This takes biceps out of the movement. The drawback is that it's an isolation exercise.... but I think it can do a nice job to pre-exhaust the back a little.... then if you do a set of rows, it can help you nail your back without your bi's being as much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I feel extremely foolish for asking this...

but how can I get my lower traps up to par with my upper traps and the width of my back.

my problem is not a lack of pulling motions, more that no matter what grip width, style or excersise I feel little or not contraction being done in my upper back.

In fact, its as if my bis and rear delts take ALL the work.

The one excersises I did feel some work being done was narrow grip pull ups with palms facing me.

Any other ideas?

BB and DB rows, and any othe rback excersise I can think of simply only hit my lats, rear delts and bis.

Thanks.

see, theyr hardly sticking out, even at a high body fat percentage, they should be bigger.

im happy with the width... just not the the thickness.
    maybe somewhat strange as its rows an your a rower haha but yeh i think you want some thickness in your rhomboids - i dont like barbell row as much as one arm dumbbell cuss it hits lower back a lot more, and i dont know how to get it to focus on the rhoms

i hit them with one arm dumbbell rows - the way to do it is to drive the shoulder of the arm your working up an around, basically going towards the other shoulder, its like a side ways rowing motion, rather than just up an down, you have to twist somewhat

most of the time my upper back workout is just rows an shrugs