Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69

Thread: Things I've learned..

  1. #1
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0

    Things I've learned..

    I was doing some SS cardio after a brutal leg workout today....and it got be thinking of all the things I've learned in the two years I've been bodybuilding. If I'm perfectly honest with myself I didn't know jack crap about anything the first year. In these past few months I've learned so much from this site, various books, other websites and the occasional magazine. Heres the things most important or that I can remember atleast....

    1. The best thing I could have done to gain muscle was to never touch a machine. There is always a better exercise with free weights that you are doing on a machine.

    2. If you get your squat depth on track it can be one of the best muscle builders out there. Most people (myself included) don't even come close to doing a good squat.

    3. SS, HIIT and other forms of cardio can be great muscle builders, fat burners and all around a great exercise for your whole body.

    4. Alcohol can really screw an otherwise good workout.

    5. Lifting really heavy stuff is great for muscle building and even better for strength gains.

    6. You can save a good half an hour if you lift instead of talk during a workout.

    7. Don't bring others that will hold you back or distract you.

    8. Always look up when you enter the locker room and an old man is changing. Chances are, even if he is shaving he is butt naked.

    9. Only use straps when absolutely necessary. Otherwise you are only making yourself dependent on them to lift.

    10. A good set of headphones will do wonders for keeping you pumped and focused.

    11. Even if you aren't a competitive bodybuilder, posing in the mirror helps to point out flaws and weak points.

    12. Good form is important for safety, strength and muscle building purposes. You're only cheating yourself.

    13. Dead lifts are only bad for you if you round your back while doing them. Err duhh.

    14. The majority of people out there don't understand why we do what we do. Don't bother trying to explain it to people.

    15. The greatest advice to give someone is to work hard. For the longest time I was going through the motions.

    16. Don't be afraid to fart, grunt, or yell a little while you lift.

    17. If you aren't atleast a little nervous before a workout you probably aren't pushing yourself as much as you could be.

    18. Not locking out on heavy movements saves you alot of pain/problems later in life. It also helps with muscle building since you keep the muscles under tension longer.

    19. Support is a very valuable asset. If you have it, don't lose it.

    20. Rest and sleep goes hand in hand with leading a better lifestyle, recovering from injury or making strength/muscle gains. If you aren't gaining and everything else is right, get some more sleep.

    21. The best thing I could ever do for my arms is weighted dips, and heavy rows. Notice I didn't say curls.

    22. Easy there superman. You wonder why your chest doesn't grow? Try not working it 7 times a week twice a day.

    23. Humping and pumping are good for your health. Thanks ahnuld. You really opened my eyes.

    24. If you think a pump is as good as an orgasm. You probably need help. I've gotten a pump many times and I've never fallen to the floor in ecstasy. Sorry governor.

    25. After lurking around the AAS forum I can safely say that I will not use steroids until I actually know how and why they work. I'm good without the gyno.

    26. I have more respect for pro. bodybuilders then ever. For all their hard work the vast majority of them go un-recognized as much as they should be. You're average person thinks if they took steroids they would be just as big.

    27. Order atleast one book from lyle mcdonald. You'll thank me later.

    28. The 20-rep squat program is not for idiots. TRY IT.

    29. No matter how big or strong you get their is always someone who is better, bigger or stronger then you. So, just because you're bigger then the average person that doesn't mean you're big per se. Self improvement is never ending.

    30. Built is probably the youngest old person you'll ever see. She could be on to something when it comes to lifting or leading a healthy lifestyle.

    31. After a certain point, you could be eating too much while bulking. My last bulk I ate way to much and ended up gaining alot of fat. I think tracking calories is important while cutting and bulking.

    32. You don't need to be fat to gain muscle.

    33. Gaining muscle while cutting is very rare unless you are new or using anabolics.

    34. Most supplements out there give you frivolous gains. I'm not saying they are useless....but if you have to pick between good whole foods or supplements always go with the food.

    35. One of the best things you can consume is milk. IMO milk is probably the greatest thing you could drink/eat while bulking.

    36. Try to limit your fast food consumption. I think fast food has a place in bulks but only as a very small part of your calories and macros.

    37. A calorie is simply a unit of measurement. If you want to get technical. However, 500 calories of lean chicken is much different then 500 calories of soda. Remember that when you work out your day.

    38. As far as cutting is concerned diet is key. But, for someone to say cardio is useless while cutting is not only over-exaggerating but hasn't actually done cardio properly.

    39. Weight lifting is probably one of the best things you could do if you're stressed.

    40. Bring a log or journal when you lift. That way you can be sure if you're making progress or not.

    41. Change things up. The worst thing your body can do is adapt to a routine.

    42. Personally, I've found that taking off a week every two months actually helps my lifts. Some people like to do active rest which is fine too. Just remember to cut your body some slack every couple weeks.

    43. Bodybuilding in its simplest is actually pretty basic. As long as you are lifting hard, tracking your calories and not over training you should be making gains. If you aren't making gains then your diet, training, or rest is out of whack and you should fix it ASAP.

    44. Great physiques take many months and possibly years to develop. Even if you are 100% perfect with everything, it could be a long time before you're satisfied. Just be patient and consistent and focus on short term goals. But don't forget to keep the bigger picture in mind.

    45. If you are going through any type of injury you should really take it easy on that body part for a few weeks. Its better to take it easy for a little bit then to have a possibly serious lifetime injury.

    46. Massages are great after a workout. Get a girl that wants to give you one. It can improve your relationship with her and improve your muscle building.

    47. Know your body. Know what you respond well to. This could take a couple months to figure out but its well worth it.

    48. If you fall off the horse just get up and get right back on it. Yea it sounds cheesy, but you can't let life distract you from what is important to you.

    49. Learn to accept other peoples potentially bad lifestyle choices. It's there life. If they don't want to be healthy then let them. Just be there if they need you.

    50. Keep an open mind.

    Thats probably all I'm gonna write. I have more if I actually sat down, but it would take forever to type up EVERYTHING I've learned. Some of you guys might disagree with things I've written down but from what I've read, seen, and tried most of these points are true. That being said I don't know much compared to the majority of people on this forum. Feel free to add anything you guys feel relevant. I'll probably bookmark this for my own reference, so I know not to make the same dumb mistakes as I have in the past.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-08-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  2. #2
    Banned Roddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    281
    1. The best thing I could have done to gain muscle was to never touch a machine. There is always a better exercise with free weights that you are doing on a machine.
    I disagree. Not entirely but partly. I much prefer free weights, but i do use a machine for a few workouts, and have gotten awesome results.

  3. #3
    Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    Built is probably the youngest old person you'll ever see.


    Well....your intentions were good...lol!

    #31 - Never tell a woman she's old


    Good post though. I can definitely say I've learned more in the last 6 months than I did in the 6 years before that.
    5'11" 220lbs.

    BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1


    "Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

  4. #4
    ANVIL POWER Detard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,533
    yeah pretty good post. there are a few things i disagree with but its the same for me, I learned ALOT more here than I would have anywhere else.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

    "im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

    TJW

  5. #5
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Built should take it as a compliment! I'm gonna put some more things up.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    Disagree with number 1 too.

  7. #7
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    I'm surprised at that. I thought the overwhelming majority of you guys would agree with that point.

    Our bodies are designed to overcome gravity, not by working on a fixed course.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-08-2007 at 05:04 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  8. #8
    Banned Tofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    █♣█
    Posts
    1,230
    I probably would have agreed with number one up until a month or two ago too, but not anymore. Your routine should be based around free weights, and the major lifts (obviously), but there's nothing wrong with using a machine or two for some accessory work. If you feel the need to add a little more volume to your routine, it's not a bad way to go at all.

  9. #9
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    What I've learned from the guy who I used to work with.

    Never ever tell a woman she has a fat ass, even if she really does. A friend of his said that one time he and his wife had been fighting and he said to her "get your **** and get your fat ass out of here". She took EVERYTHING while he was away (letting her gather her crap alone) and then made the most hellacious mess you'd ever want to clean up and dumped a gallon of bleach in the guys gas tank.

    And who said women aren't spiteful!
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 03-08-2007 at 09:14 PM.

  10. #10
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    'Sokay.

    I am old.

    And as Bette Davis said, it's no place for sissies.

    I took the compliment Jordan. No worries. :kiss:

    Nice post. I agree with most of it.

  11. #11
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Thanks built. I learned many things from you about cutting and bulking.

    Wbbirl.

    You know what the funny thing is? I used to get my ass beat by my gf if I didn't tell her she has a fat ass. She would smack me upside the head and everything.....I was like whaa?? Isn't having a fat ass a bad thing?? And she was like "Don't you ever watch MTV? All the girls on the videos have fat ass's!!"

    I guess she means a big ass or something. I don't know anymore...all I want to do is not get smacked .
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  12. #12
    T.J.W. nhlfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,325
    18. Not locking out on heavy movements saves you alot of pain/problems later in life. It also helps with muscle building since you keep the muscles under tension longer.

    more info on this please?
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

  13. #13
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    When you lock out like that the weight is transfered from the muscle to the joint. I've felt this alot in leg presses. I used to lockout all the time. Someone at my gym told me not to and I basically laughed in his face....telling him I felt it wasn't a full rep. unless I locked out. Then my knees started hurting....after I stopped locking out like that, it went away.

    This is also true for squats. Doing a full at the floor squat is better for your knee's then just going parallel.

    Some people also don't like to lockout on bench press or shoulder press etc. But I haven't had any problems with locking out on those. It's usually only a problem with long sets or heavy weight.

    If you want a link or source someone else can find it tonight lol. I got work tomorrow. But if no one posts anything and you want one, I'll dig it up.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-08-2007 at 10:18 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  14. #14
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    When you lock out like that the weight is transfered from the muscle to the joint. I've felt this alot in leg presses. I used to lockout all the time. Someone at my gym told me not to and I basically laughed in his face....telling him I felt it wasn't a full rep. unless I locked out. Then my knees started hurting....after I stopped locking out like that, it went away.

    This is also true for squats. Doing a full at the floor squat is better for your knee's then just going parallel.

    Some people also don't like to lockout on bench press or shoulder press etc. But I haven't had any problems with locking out on those. It's usually only a problem with long sets or heavy weight.

    If you want a link or source someone else can find it tonight lol. I got work tomorrow. But if no one posts anything and you want one, I'll dig it up.

    ..Thought you didn't use machines?
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

  15. #15
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    ..Thought you didn't use machines?
    I wouldn't consider leg press a machine. You use free weights on it.

    Anyways, there are better things to do for legs then leg press.

    They are called squats.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  16. #16
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    I noticed that for example when big ron benches heavy he doesn't lock out and his rom looks pretty short. Even when he warms up he really doesn't lock out.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    See, that's where I disagree:

    A leg press/sled, is a machine. It doesn't matter that you add free weights on it, it doesn't make it any different than using a leg press with the weights already on it because the range of motion for the push is the same.

    By the way, I use the ham curl machine in my current routine as well as the dip-press machine (because I cannot rep my body weight yet). I used to use the pec deck fly as well.

  18. #18
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT View Post
    See, that's where I disagree:
    Don't worry the rest of the board agrees with you.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  19. #19
    Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    'Sokay.

    I am old.

    And as Bette Davis said, it's no place for sissies.

    I took the compliment Jordan. No worries. :kiss:

    Nice post. I agree with most of it.
    I just noticed a mistake in Built's profile, it says she's 43. Here's her photo, no way she's 43. Built please correct your profile.


  20. #20
    Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I wouldn't consider leg press a machine. You use free weights on it.

    So basically you're saying only if it uses a weight stack it should be considered a machine. I believe any equipment that follows a strict path should be considered a machine, whether you add plates to it or not.
    5'11" 220lbs.

    BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1


    "Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

  21. #21
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I wouldn't consider leg press a machine. You use free weights on it.

    Anyways, there are better things to do for legs then leg press.

    They are called squats.
    Errr.... a leg press is most definitely a machine. The whole thing could be easily hooked up to a stack and cables and you'd still be doing the same motion- pushing with your legs while locked into a position. Adding plates to it vs moving a pin doesn't reclassify whether it's a machine or not. If you put bows and glitter on the leg press does it become a parade float?
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  22. #22
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093
    Errr.... a leg press is most definitely a machine. The whole thing could be easily hooked up to a stack and cables and you'd still be doing the same motion- pushing with your legs while locked into a position. Adding plates to it vs moving a pin doesn't reclassify whether it's a machine or not. If you put bows and glitter on the leg press does it become a parade float?
    ANd use round 45 LB plates as the wheels...

    Of course
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

  23. #23
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    I'll agree that building muscle is done a lot quicker and better through free weights. But I do use machines. I use the lat pulldown, I use the low pull and that's about as for machines except for the leg press.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  24. #24
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    For anyone that didn't read my other post.

    There are better excersizes for the legs then leg press.

    Its called squats.

    You can argue about what is considered a machine or not. That doesnt really concern me. The point is, there is always a better excersize you could do on dumbells or free weights then if you're using a machine. Machines aren't useless, but they should be used only sparingly. Like I said. Your muscles are designed to overcome gravity, not by using a fixed range of motion.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  25. #25
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    I noticed that for example when big ron benches heavy he doesn't lock out and his rom looks pretty short. Even when he warms up he really doesn't lock out.
    Yup. Not only is he probably doing an unbelievable amount of repititions, he's probably using an extreme amount of weight. If you'll also notice, he'll usually wrap his elbows too.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Similar Threads

  1. Things I've learned
    By geoffgarcia in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 08:12 AM
  2. The things you WISH you would have done earlier...
    By jAy_Dub in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 09:30 PM
  3. Lessons Learned: The First Years of Training
    By Keith Wassung in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 12:01 AM
  4. Things that make you weird.
    By Frozenmoses in forum General Chat
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 11:47 AM
  5. "It's The little things that count"...
    By defcon in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 08:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •