Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifts = Raw Shins...

Dynamo

Deadlifts = Raw Shins...

When I deadlift I have a tendency to pull the bar up along my shins. I think I have heard the bar should slide up along the shins. The problem is my last deads I did I kind of ripped my shins up rubbing the diamond etching along them.

Comments? (I don't think of the 2 olympic bars my gym has there is one with worn down etching, which would be the easy solution.)
    The mind is a dynamo, a source of vital energy. That energy can be negative and work against you, or you can harness it ... - Arnold Scwarzenegger
    My Comic
    195 lbs.
    Bench - 235(5)6
    Squat - 335(5)7
    Deadlift - 405(5)5

Goal: To be massive, yet remain dashingly handsome.

Sounds like you're doing them right! Try wearing sweats.

They rub my shins as well. If it gets too bad you can always wear shinguards (soccer). IMO they would be great to wear under your sweats, and can be taken off fairly quickly.
    Ron Coleman"everybody wanna be a bodybuilda, but nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight....i do it though...lightweight."

Banned
    Yeah, same problem here. I've bled all over the bar before. The only solution I've heard is to wear sweats, which I will be picking up soon.

Nooob ...but dedicated!
    I wore sweats to beat the raw shins but it didn't help. It still tore me up....bleed all over my sweats. I now wear shin gaurds($6 at academy) and sweats so no one sees them. It's great now cause I don;t even think about it.

HH
    03 PSM Impreza WRX
    Short throw shifter
    Tokico D-Specs
    Front and rear sway....D'OH! Wrong Forum!

Yeah, that's how it's done. Yesterday when I was doing deads, I cut open both of my shins real bad and bled over the bar. That was kind of frustrating because I had to run off and clean up my legs and then the bar. It kind of took my concentration away.
    I'm for sure wearing sweats monday, and you should too!
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

long socks and sweat pants should help a little.

Dynamo
    Yes it seems I will go with sweats or pants of some type. Crazy though since it gets hot where I live.

I started lifting it out away from my shins to avoid bleeding in my wifes ritzy gym. I think some people still saw and gave some looks. Sweats will at least hide it. I am glad I am doing it right and I don't need to learn to keep the bar off my shins at least.
    The mind is a dynamo, a source of vital energy. That energy can be negative and work against you, or you can harness it ... - Arnold Scwarzenegger
    My Comic
    195 lbs.
    Bench - 235(5)6
    Squat - 335(5)7
    Deadlift - 405(5)5

Goal: To be massive, yet remain dashingly handsome.

Banned
    Are you guys doing flatbar or hex bar? I used to do hex bar and never hit my shins and I now do flatbar (my PR is 320, got it today =]) and still don't hit my shins...it sounds like your guys' forms are off whack.

Carter - do you have any videos and/or pictures of you dead lifting?

sweats have done it for me.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Lookin fer my spanich Blackhawk08's Avatar
    long socks, and warriorwalls the bar is supposed to be along the shins or very close to them.
    MM(W)FA (SU) Robinson, USN

There is no reason to rub the bar on your shins, just try and pull the natural way, without trying to push the bar into your shins. Do you scrape your shins thay way every time you pick something off the floor?

IMO, scraping your shins that way is as useful as sliding the bar across the face when doing military press. It tends to distract and lets you lift less weight.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    Are you guys doing flatbar or hex bar? I used to do hex bar and never hit my shins and I now do flatbar (my PR is 320, got it today =]) and still don't hit my shins...it sounds like your guys' forms are off whack.

The reason why we keep the bar so close, and even touching our shins is to put less pressure on the lower back. Its a matter of physics and torque. The force is suppose to go down the spine into the pelvis which can hold alot of weight. If the bar is too far (and it doesnt need to be that far to be considered too far) than the torque about the centre of rotation (base of spine) will be very great. As well, you will begin to lean over causing more problems and put more stress on your lower back.

Our form isnt whack, if it was we would have back problems.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 03-06-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder View Post
    IMO, scraping your shins that way is as useful as sliding the bar across the face when doing military press. It tends to distract and lets you lift less weight.
    Read my post above. A military press generally should be performes straight up but pushing it upwards infront of your face isnt going to make problems. Its a matter of torque, not just keeping the bar close to your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder View Post
    There is no reason to rub the bar on your shins, just try and pull the natural way, without trying to push the bar into your shins. Do you scrape your shins thay way every time you pick something off the floor?

I suggest ya'll learn how to pull and stop giving ****ty information. When you pull, only your initial movement should be upward. From there, you pull back into the body. This is where you are getting the contact with your shins. If you lack this contact, more than likely you are putting yourself in a weaker position; you're probably extending out over your feet, losing some core tightness, and putting your lowerback in a much tougher position.

One thing you may want to think about is pulling in shin guards. Get you some cheap soccer shin guards and wear them under some long socks. I've heard of a couple of people doing this because their shins stay raw. If I'm not mistaken, shin guards are actually allowed in most PLing meets. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    The reason why we keep the bar so close, and even touching our shins is to put less pressure on the lower back. Its a matter of physics and torque. The force is suppose to go down the spine into the pelvis which can hold alot of weight. If the bar is too far (and it doesnt need to be that far to be considered too far) than the torque about the centre of rotation (base of spine) will be very great. As well, you will begin to lean over causing more problems and put more stress on your lower back.

Our form isnt whack, if it was we would have back problems.
    Well before I lift up the bar is very close to my shins, but when I lift, I never hit my shins and/or knees. But if you're having this problem, good luck on finding a way to fix it.

Well before I lift up the bar is very close to my shins, but when I lift, I never hit my shins and/or knees. But if you're having this problem, good luck on finding a way to fix it.

Pulling along the shins isn't a problem. It is the correct way to pull.

Banned
    Hm. Well while I'm deadlifting tomorrow I'll have someone pay attention to see how close the bar comes to my shins and maybe I'll try to correct it.

Don't rely on form advice from the majority of people in your gym. Most people couldn't pull their way out of a wet paper sack.

Banned
    I wouldn't really call it form advice, I just want them to tell me how bar gets to my shins so I can correct my form and hopefully get 325 soon.

Check out some articles by Eric Cressey. You can find that article on T-Nation. Also check out some of the articles on EliteFTS.

....Ok so how could one get the bar to scrape their shin? lol....the bar just barely touches my shin when I do deads. i need more scrapeage!
    "F-ck life before it f-cks you"

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

Haha you should just be concerned with pulling back as hard as you can. As soon as you break the bar from the ground, start pulling back hard. This will put you in your strongest position.

I make it so it doesn't touch my shins. It's pretty damn close though...

I know it goes up my shins, but I dont really notice it.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.