Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do for the best results?

What should I do for the best results?

hey ya i know i already posted this, but someone mentioned putting it under a diffrent thread name i need some help. i am currently 15 years old, weigh 121 pounds, have 14% bodyfat, and my lift stats are: squat 315lb, bench 155lb, dead 325lb. i want to get big ASAP, but i also want to get stronger. i know that size doesn't determine strength, so i dont know what i should do? should i use a powerlifting routine/diet (heavy weights and few reps/high amounts of protien and healthy fats, moderate carbs)and just increase my calories or should i use a bodybuilding routine/diet (high reps/lots of food ). i want to gain as much as possible in the next 2 months, but i want to maintan a good body weight to strength ratio. any advise?

btw i know that i have to eat a lot to gain mass, so don't tell me to eat. tell me which way to do it, powerlifting method or bodybuilding method. thx
    Last edited by 123 champ; 03-02-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts
    Squat: 295x5
    Bench: 215x1
    Deadlift: 300x5

dude your 15 go out play and have fun. If you want to get big i would switch it up, do powerlifting with a regular bodybuilding work out. You can do a regular weight lifting workout for 1 week then try a powerlifting routien the next. Do that untill you find the right balance between the both. If you are 15 120LBS and can squat 315 then you will have no problem puting on some weight. Just keep mixing it up don't stick with just one routien. Try 1 routien for a month then mix it up the next month.
    Age 22
    153Lb's
    5'10"
    BF 5%
    Max Bench: 205
    DL: 350
    SQ: 315
    Total: 870

thanks bluedevil, thats the best advice i've gotten from anyone
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

at your age, i would keep it simple. your body isnt fully grown yet and it will be tough trying to get 'big asap' at 15. in the meantime, i would suggest to eat clean foods and keep a well balanced diet. consider joining highschool football.

Banned
    two months isnt allot of time to make a big difference, its going to be more of a journy, or lifestyle change if you want to get big/stronger
    you might be able to tack on 30-40lbs in those two months if you adopt a powerlifting form and work hard at it

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    two months isnt allot of time to make a big difference, its going to be more of a journy, or lifestyle change if you want to get big/stronger
    you might be able to tack on 30-40lbs in those two months if you adopt a powerlifting form and work hard at it
    wait what do you mean "adopt a powerlifting form" ?

btw I am playing football, thats why i am trying to put on mass.
    Last edited by 123 champ; 03-03-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

Banned
    basically work on your form, on your bench take a wide grip, arch your back. deadlift, try doing a sumo or standard stance which one provides you with best results, strat with your legs, with your back straight, squat wide stance, knees wrapped to hit parrellel

sounds good, but about the wide grip for bench, i thought you want to keep your arms just slightly outside your shoulders? i thought wide grip was just to train like your biceps and pecs, not for strength.
    Last edited by 123 champ; 03-04-2007 at 10:38 AM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

a wide grip will give u a wide chest

Banned
    this is for bringing up your max, a wide grip is more efficent, in terms of you have to push the weight further with a narrower grip.
    do you want to get stronger to push more weight or get stronger to get bigger muscles, or just boost your performance relative to were you are at now?

Quote Originally Posted by shazoo123 View Post
    Eh...

Wider grip will definitely hit your pecs a lot more. But over time it will also help increase your bench. You may have to lower the weight temporarily, but you'll be back up to where you were in a matter of weeks.

If you look at any pro powerlifters, they do bench with a wide grip because it's potentially possible to push more this way.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    this is for bringing up your max, a wide grip is more efficent, in terms of you have to push the weight further with a narrower grip.
    do you want to get stronger to push more weight or get stronger to get bigger muscles, or just boost your performance relative to were you are at now?
    i want to get stronger to push more weight, so i should use a wider grip?
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

Banned
    You have a bunch of different things you want to do. To build muscle and gain weight, you should work in the 5-10 rep range. Hi volume builds muscle. At your age, you will get stronger. If you're playng football, you don't want to use a PL template. You should use Squats, DL, Bench, Inclines, Military Presses, Pull-ups as your main focus. 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days. Also, at your age, if you wanna gain weight you gotta eat a lot of good food, but also eat some bad food everyday. Before the rest of you crucify me, his metabolism is so fast that he just needs calories. You won't get fat if you're working out. If you're worried about getting fat, you'll never get big.

Quote Originally Posted by shazoo123 View Post
    Uh-huh, and over time a wide grip will also give you expensive and debilitating shoulder joint problems.

To the OP, the first response you got was the best. At 15 you need to stop worrying about bodybuilding routines and get busy playing and having fun. Enjoy your youth. If you are playing on your school's football team, play hard, learn the game and play smart, and be the best football player you can be.

That alone should turn your attention away from bodybuilding routines and towards a strength training routine and maybe some Crossfit to build up functional strength and make you a legitimate badass this summer when you start two-a-days.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 123 champ View Post
    i want to get stronger to push more weight, so i should use a wider grip?
    well in that case you need to find your optimium grip, as in that case it really doesnt matter a whole lot on the grip you take if you just want to gain strength.
    try benching the bar bar and find when your all the way down your forarms are perpendicular to the floor.
    after you establish your grip you just need to focus on improving the amont of weight you can do, keep adding the pounds on it and get stronger, see its not that hard.

mk sounds good smokinhawk, ill try that next time i bench
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

Wow, I find your deadlift and squat extremely hard to believe at your weight and bodyfat%. Are you even going parallel? Be honest about your totals or show a video and shut me up. As for training, olympic weightlifting is the only way to go. It's fun and cool to stick hundreds of pounds above your head, and go for dangerous weights that could potentially eff you up, and get it. Nothing like it in the world, it's all about heart (or genetics).
    snatch: 185
    Bench: 245
    Clean: 245
    Jerk: 275x2
    C+J: 245
    TANDEM C+J: 442
    Weight:148.5
    Need to weigh: 62kg
    Body fat: 6.3%
    Goal for State: 255 Bench, 260 C+J. and 205 snatch for OLY

Take your time and stick with compound movements and you will get big. Also, wide bench will not hurt anyone if they maintain good form and have trained their shoulders properly. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vrizzle View Post
    Wow, I find your deadlift and squat extremely hard to believe at your weight and bodyfat%. Are you even going parallel? Be honest about your totals or show a video and shut me up. As for training, olympic weightlifting is the only way to go. It's fun and cool to stick hundreds of pounds above your head, and go for dangerous weights that could potentially eff you up, and get it. Nothing like it in the world, it's all about heart (or genetics).
    idk if you've seen the other post about my maxes, but all i can say is that they are legit.
    Last edited by 123 champ; 03-07-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

Quote Originally Posted by 123 champ View Post
    idk if you've seen the other post about my maxes, but all i can say is that they are legit. i can send you a link with results from 2 meets, but i didn't completely max out in squat or bench at either of them, although i did do my deadlift max at the first meet. as you can see, i squated 295 (20 pounds off my max) and benched 145 (10 pounds of my max) and you can see my bodyweight. im "Mo K." on the list, which was used as a comparison to compare the weights we did at two diffrent meets (we being our team, that way you know im not just making up some random results for just me). also, as you should know, you have to break parallel in a meet in order for the squat to be counted, so ya, i go parallel. and also when it says "school", by my name it says "10" which means 10th grade, meaning im 15. so yes, my age is correct too.

https://mail.ehsbr.org/exchange/Khos...T.xls?attach=1
    Asks for a username and password.

And I've looked at another one of those that you posted.

It's just a little hard to believe an entire group of people in that weight class seem to squat and deadlift over 300, but not one of them maxes bench anywhere close to 200LBs. I don't think that anyone even bench 160, which is a little hard to stomach.

You're going to see these posts in every topic until you put up some real proof.
    Last edited by Chris686; 03-06-2007 at 10:51 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Banned
    maybe the all have big legs, but havent spent the time to build their upper body yet.

Well I did know this guy who weighed 115, he DL'd 405x2, benched 225, and squatted 300. Though at the time he was a senior and was 18. (The squat and DL he wasn't making weight, he was 125ish or under)

I know another guy who squatted 385 @ 16 weighing 150. I dunno, they seem big to me b/c we (my weightlifting team) focus on bench and C+J not powerlifting (although the 115ish guy gave up on olympic style weightlifting for powerlifting upon graduation).
    snatch: 185
    Bench: 245
    Clean: 245
    Jerk: 275x2
    C+J: 245
    TANDEM C+J: 442
    Weight:148.5
    Need to weigh: 62kg
    Body fat: 6.3%
    Goal for State: 255 Bench, 260 C+J. and 205 snatch for OLY

hey sorry that the link didn't work, i don't really care about proving my stats anymore. it doesn't affect me what you believe. im not here to brag, im here to help my powerlifting maxes, specifically my bench because it sucks. (we don't train bench much)
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

ok i found a pic of me deading 325, put i dont know how to show it. it says i have to enter the URL of the page with the pic, but its not from a website, my friend took it so its on the computer. what do i do?
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

Banned
    upload it to a free hosting site like imageshak or similar