Thread: football goals

Wannabebig Member

football goals

Hi. I play football for RPI (we're Division III)...I'm a linebacker...and I have some goals...I'll list them step by step...first, here's where I'm at right now...

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 197 lbs
    Parallel Squat: 325 lbs
    Bench: 235 lbs
    Hang Clean: 225 lbs
    Deadlift: 360 lbs

We're about to start spring ball...during the next 8 weeks (the remainder of the semester), we're gonna do a lot of running, plus I'm gonna go on a diet and run 2.5 miles everyday in addition to football...here are my goals by the end of the semester

Weight: 175 lbs
    Parallel Squat: 330 lbs
    Bench: 240 lbs
    Hang Clean: 230 lbs
    Deadlift: 365 lbs

So as you can see, I wanna lose some weight, and get slightly stronger...now from there, I wanna get bigger, stronger, and faster over the summer (12 weeks)...here are my goals from there, to 12 weeks later to the start of football camp

Weight: 195 lbs
    Parallel Squat: 405 lbs
    Bench: 315 lbs
    Hang Clean: 315 lbs
    Deadlift: 405 lbs

So I just wanna put on a ton of muscle over the summer...any ideas?? I got this workout schedule I made up for the summer...its kinda a blend of my college's strength and conditioning, my old high school's workouts, and a little extra stuff that I kinda put in there...if u wanna see it, just send me a msg, and we'll talk...

Thanks for any replies

Straight outta Compton
    you need to eat a **** ton, sleep a **** ton, and no overtraining.
    Last edited by Punk In Drublic; 03-10-2007 at 07:02 PM.
    6'5" 200lbs

Big #Five-Nine
    sleep/rest is stressed a lot. I am a linebacker at Missouri Valley College in the NAIA, like...DII or DIII. not really sure, its a private school division. But look into getting protien and cretaine if you havent. and get some mens health sports mutli vitamens, thats the stuff i am using right now. Do the right doses in the morning before and after workouts and finish it off at nite by not eating a huge meal. Your biggest meals of the day should be in the morning and lunch, and finish off the day with something light so it doesnt sit in your body and make you gain some fat. But lift before practice, thats what i did during the season last year. I am a Red shirt freshman this year but still aiming for the top 3 spot at inside linebacker on the weak side. Just keep your head up and never miss a workout and stay strong.

matt rhodes is the man you should be speaking with he played for the wildcats out in arizona with todd heap and a few other big names and he himself played some pro ball im sure he would love to help you out send him a PM

Wannabebig Member
    hmmm...sounds good...thanks for the replies thus far...i'm still working on this routine...once i'm done, i'll post it...its a lot of explosive stuff along w/ strength/size stuff in there as well

Big #Five-Nine
    who is matt rhodes? maybe i could talk to him a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyFR View Post
    who is matt rhodes? maybe i could talk to him a little bit.
    one of my training partners. go into the feature journals and send him a pm
    he is cool and loves to talk

Big #Five-Nine
    lol, you make it sound liek he talks to much, so what is his background? besides just playing a little pro.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wearymachine View Post
    Hi. I play football for RPI (we're Division III)...I'm a linebacker...and I have some goals...I'll list them step by step...first, here's where I'm at right now...

Weight: 197 lbs
    Parallel Squat: 325 lbs
    Bench: 235 lbs
    Hang Clean: 225 lbs
    Deadlift: 360 lbs

We're about to start spring ball...during the next 8 weeks (the remainder of the semester), we're gonna do a lot of running, plus I'm gonna go on a diet and run 2.5 miles everyday in addition to football...here are my goals by the end of the semester

Weight: 175 lbs
    Parallel Squat: 330 lbs
    Bench: 240 lbs
    Hang Clean: 230 lbs
    Deadlift: 365 lbs

So as you can see, I wanna lose some weight, and get slightly stronger...now from there, I wanna get bigger, stronger, and faster over the summer (12 weeks)...here are my goals from there, to 12 weeks later to the start of football camp

Weight: 195 lbs
    Parallel Squat: 405 lbs
    Bench: 315 lbs
    Hang Clean: 315 lbs
    Deadlift: 405 lbs

So I just wanna put on a ton of muscle over the summer...any ideas?? I got this workout schedule I made up for the summer...its kinda a blend of my college's strength and conditioning, my old high school's workouts, and a little extra stuff that I kinda put in there...if u wanna see it, just send me a msg, and we'll talk...

Thanks for any replies
    Your goals are very un-realistic for a natural athlete

25-30lbs on your bench in 5 months is realistic, 35-40 for deads and squats is also.

As for running I would work on 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m runs, football is more sprinting than long distance so just do a long run once a week.
    Last edited by BiggerGuns=LD; 03-12-2007 at 12:51 AM.

Big #Five-Nine
    if you want to work on sprinting...do what our conditioning test is....have someone time you....and run 16x 110 yard sprints. and you have to aim for getting under your time. would be best to work for it though...like....first week 6x110, then 8x110, then 10x110, and just work up to it every week. But still run extra.....like...stadiums and such.

22 seconds lineman, kickers, punters, Qb's
    18 seconds linebackers, full backs, tight ends
    17 seconds running backs, wide recivers, secondary

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggerGuns=LD View Post
    Your goals are very un-realistic for a natural athlete

25-30lbs on your bench in 5 months is realistic, 35-40 for deads and squats is also.

As for running I would work on 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m runs, football is more sprinting than long distance so just do a long run once a week.
    well as for the running, i plan to do that over the summer...as for right now, for our conditioning, we do those types of sprints so i'm covered there...its just that i need to lose a little weight (the gut) so i figured long runs plus dieting oughta get rid of it