The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member HeavyBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Granger Indiana, USA
    Posts
    2,164
    Your form is good. You seem to lift it effortlessly. Why the drop though?

  4. #3
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Thanks HB. No real reason, easier to drop it then put it down. We have our own platform built up there, so we won't ruin the gym floor. I have no problems with holding on in meet situations though.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  5. #4
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Great speed Chris.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  6. #5
    Senior Member HeavyBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Granger Indiana, USA
    Posts
    2,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Thanks HB. No real reason, easier to drop it then put it down. We have our own platform built up there, so we won't ruin the gym floor. I have no problems with holding on in meet situations though.
    Yeah well, the reason I ask is because I've been dropping more and more these days. It's almost like it's just another variation of the lift.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brighton, Illinois
    Posts
    730
    I think sumo is easier than conventional. Try conventional @ 445.

  8. #7
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    I think sumo is easier than conventional. Try conventional @ 445.
    Is that like a challenge or do you want to see me pulling conv on video? My best in a sui conv. is 500 and 475 in a belt. I believe I have pulled 445x3. I have also pulled 465 off a 100 lb plate.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  9. #8
    Senior Member HeavyBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Granger Indiana, USA
    Posts
    2,164
    Std is easier for some and sumo for others. Since using a sumo stance predominantly my std deads and squats have increased dramatically.

    CR, you're a natural born sumo lifter. The motion of the lift is so fluid. It's about as perfect a sumo lift as I've seen.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brighton, Illinois
    Posts
    730
    I just wanna see a vid on it. Man your a DL beast lol. Monday I'll see if I do sumo better then conventional, but for some reason I still feel sumo is easier. Maybe b/c it seems like you have don't have to pull the bar up as far as conventional? Someone explain this to me please.

  11. #10
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Thanks HB. That's quite a compliment.


    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    I just wanna see a vid on it. Man your a DL beast lol. Monday I'll see if I do sumo better then conventional, but for some reason I still feel sumo is easier. Maybe b/c it seems like you have don't have to pull the bar up as far as conventional? Someone explain this to me please.

    Like HB said, it's different for each lifter. All about the way you are built and your strengths/weaknesses. I do a lot of very wide squatting and box squatting. This has made my hips very strong and given me good explosiveness/speed. When I first started powerlifting my conventional was higher than my sumo because my hips were weak.

    I think it is smart to train with both methods because you will hit all the muscles involed and strengthen everything.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  12. #11
    Senior Member HeavyBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Granger Indiana, USA
    Posts
    2,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    ...[clip]...
    I think it is smart to train with both methods because you will hit all the muscles involed and strengthen everything.
    There you go. Well said.

  13. #12
    back at it Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    0
    Inspirational vids... it looks so easy for you. Thanks for posting them up.

    D 435 / S 340 / B 305

    Journal

    "I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

    "OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

    "Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

  14. #13
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Inspirational vids... it looks so easy for you. Thanks for posting them up.
    Thanks Beast. Fast, but not easy. Those are only around 85% or less of my max, so they shouldn't have been too tough. Hopefully in the next few months I will be posting a video of a nice big PR on these. Just have to do the work now.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  15. #14
    Fountainhead Organichu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,707
    Powerful looking movement. Definitely look as though you know what you're doing- great job, Chris.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12,251
    that 445 was extremely fast Chris.
    2000 or bust

  17. #16
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    You made those look easy, congratulations!

    I started doing sumos after a long layoff, and the numbers I put up with sumos are quite a bit lower than conventional. I like the sumos because it's so easy to clear the knees with the bar, and I use a lot more legs and glutes with them. In fact, that's probably why my sumo is relatively weak - because my legs are weak.

    But anyway, nice job! You max out around 500?

  18. #17
    Go Nets
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas to NY transplant
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    I think sumo is easier than conventional. Try conventional @ 445.
    That's not true at all, just different.

    I'll post an article later articulating lab tested differences. The short of it is that each focuses a larger force over a different area. You are still lifting the wieght to the same height, so a little physics tells us that the same energy is being applied.

    Sure, sumo is a little more hip dominant than back, but I'm 6'3". If you were as tall as me, you'd understand my favoring of sumo. And my long torso leaves me at no loss for creating a large lever requiring large amount of work done by my lower back still.

    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    Maybe b/c it seems like you have don't have to pull the bar up as far as conventional? Someone explain this to me please.
    The weight starts at the same height and ends at the same height, then remembering that Potential energy(U) = Kenetic energy(KE), and U=mass*gravity*height (mgh), the same work must be applies to move that weight.

    The only reason that sumo is easier for anyone is because of anatomy and the fact that typically people's legs are better trained than their backs, along with a greater potential for larger muscles being in the legs than the lower back.

    Sumo, being more greatly hip dominant may favor the larger muscles doing the work, and as I said for myself may favor someone that is anatomically larger than you are. But remember, when I grab the bar off the ground in convential form, I have to reach almost 6 inches lower than you do. Start the bar at a proportionally higher level if you want to talk apples to apples. But since we don't do that, some choose to do the motion that works best for their anatomy.

    As was stated earlier, do both.


    OP- sick. You don't even look like you are trying that hard.
    Last edited by phatmonky; 03-19-2007 at 01:06 PM.

  19. #18
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    I'll disagree. The ROM with a sumo stance is a little less than with a conventional. As you spread your legs apart further you decrease the height that you are lifting a bar. Measure yourself standing upright as if you were doing conventional and measure yourself in a sumo stance. Sumo you'll seem shorter. And your ROM is decreased.

    Great lifts. Made them look easy.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  20. #19
    Health Nut Australian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    124
    Watching those videos makes me feel like my lower back wouldn't have any problems doing sumo deads. I'm rehabing but now totally inspired to DL again. How many weeks do you guys reckon I should be without any pain in my lower back to give an indication that I'm ready for DL's? I'm psyched! Thanks Chris!

  21. #20
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Australian View Post
    Watching those videos makes me feel like my lower back wouldn't have any problems doing sumo deads. I'm rehabing but now totally inspired to DL again. How many weeks do you guys reckon I should be without any pain in my lower back to give an indication that I'm ready for DL's? I'm psyched! Thanks Chris!
    Talk to a doctor before you think about doing deads.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  22. #21
    Biggie Smalls
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    I'll disagree. The ROM with a sumo stance is a little less than with a conventional. As you spread your legs apart further you decrease the height that you are lifting a bar. Measure yourself standing upright as if you were doing conventional and measure yourself in a sumo stance. Sumo you'll seem shorter. And your ROM is decreased.

    Great lifts. Made them look easy.
    I agree with this cat, it's simple, I can't believe buddy did all that "physics" and couldn't figure out you don't stand as stand with your legs spread apart. Just imagine the extreme of doing the splits, you're not as high off the ground.

    Those were solid lifts, trouble believing you couldn't pull closer to 550.

    Jon 'Cra-Z' Mahoney
    ----------------------
    Age: 17; Lifting since 15.
    Current stats: | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 183.1lbs. | Left bicep: 13.9" | Right bicep: 14.2" | Right forearm: 12.8" | Left forearm: 12" | Left quad: 23" | Right quad: 23" | Hips: 40" | Waist: 32.5" | Left calf: 14.1" | Right calf: 15" | Chest: 40" | Shoulders: 48.3"
    (All as of October 4th, 2006, except weight is as of November 13th, 2006.)
    Recovering from a broken leg, just getting back to legs.

    Personal bests:
    Bench: 230 lbs. (10/20/06) | Squat: 405 lbs. | Deadlift: 405 lbs. (10/23/06)

  23. #22
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Thanks everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cra-Z View Post
    I agree with this cat, it's simple, I can't believe buddy did all that "physics" and couldn't figure out you don't stand as stand with your legs spread apart. Just imagine the extreme of doing the splits, you're not as high off the ground.

    Those were solid lifts, trouble believing you couldn't pull closer to 550.

    I should be back around there real soon.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  24. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    good pulls, id like to see your max out of the suit for curiositys sake.
    just wondering (as im about tempted to get a suit)

  25. #24
    bone crusher
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    0
    chris, awesome! you make it look easy!

    I had to try dan's new embeds:

    405 sumo/roll
    Video


    405 sumo
    Video

    425 sumo
    Video


    445 sumo/tight straps
    Video
    Last edited by the doc; 03-20-2007 at 07:20 AM.

  26. #25
    Risk10k Clifford Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,760
    Definate cake for you chris. You looking to go upto the 198's now? 650 should be cake

Similar Threads

  1. Earthquakes
    By Tryska in forum General Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 07:14 AM
  2. Growth & Strength Journal, won't update until I have gains.
    By mega in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 11:20 PM
  3. From 13% to 8%
    By heathj in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2001, 11:46 PM
  4. New Routine
    By heathj in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-27-2001, 05:30 PM
  5. Heath's Journal
    By heathj in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 05-20-2001, 09:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •