The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Lip Surgery

Lip Surgery

I don't know much about what the defect I was born with is called. I was born with a larger lower lip, and when I was a baby had surgery on it 3 times. It's pretty calm now and my friends don't say they notice anything. But, I still feel conscious about it (I'm almost 18) and am thinking about getting surgery again to even out my lip (finally) for mostly cosmetic reasons (I also bite my lip, but it's not a huge problem, so that would be fixed too...).

What are the pros and cons of doing a relatively pricey cosmetic surgery as this? Has anyone done something like this; how much was it? I'm very intrested in doing this. How much is an expected cost? $1000?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wouldn't know anything about plastic surgery, besides what I've seen from Dr. 90210. All I'm gonna say is, pick the right doc. Do a LOT of research before you dive into something like this. I've heard way too many plastic surgery horror stories. One guy went in to get a circumcision, and he got the whole thing chopped.

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy View Post
    I wouldn't know anything about plastic surgery, besides what I've seen from Dr. 90210. All I'm gonna say is, pick the right doc. Do a LOT of research before you dive into something like this. I've heard way too many plastic surgery horror stories. One guy went in to get a circumcision, and he got the whole thing chopped.
    Sounds like an internet urban legend to me, kinda like one of those "oh-no-they-amputated-this-one-guy's-wrong-arm-off!" stories.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT View Post
    What are the pros and cons of doing a relatively pricey cosmetic surgery as this? Has anyone done something like this; how much was it? I'm very intrested in doing this. How much is an expected cost? $1000?

The cost would depend on the severity of the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than $1000 though. Can't you go for a consultation. All your questions should be answered by the surgeon him/herself. Any of us can take a guess but what good will that do you?
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT View Post
    I don't know much about what the defect I was born with is called. I was born with a larger lower lip, and when I was a baby had surgery on it 3 times. It's pretty calm now and my friends don't say they notice anything. But, I still feel conscious about it (I'm almost 18) and am thinking about getting surgery again to even out my lip (finally) for mostly cosmetic reasons (I also bite my lip, but it's not a huge problem, so that would be fixed too...).

Can you find out the exact terminology of your problem?

Regarding the cost of surgery. I would assume this would be something done under general anesthesia. You'd likely be looking at quite a bit more than $1k. I'd guess somewhere around the $2-3K range.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Yeah, the first 3 times it was under anesthesia.

Is there no kind of insurance that could help cover the cost of this, or some other easier way of paying.

Do you have insurance? Most kinds of insurance cover some degree of hospitalizations. Assuming this surgery isn't deemed "elective", you should receive some significant financial coverage from the insurance carrier.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Sounds like an internet urban legend to me, kinda like one of those "oh-no-they-amputated-this-one-guy's-wrong-arm-off!" stories.
    Trust me, I'm not a gullible guy. I'm always skeptical of everything I hear. Everytime I hear something fishy, I ask them if the source was an AOL chain mail.

In any case, A&E had a special on 101 Surgeries Gone Wrong or something like it. Wow, you will never trust a surgeon after watching that. One woman went in, and they said she had a cancerous tumor in her jaw. Eventually she went under the knife and they had to remove half of her jaw. After the surgery, they had good news/bad news for her. Good news: The cancer is gone. Bad news: It was never there to begin with. So far, she's had like 30 surgeries to reconstruct the jaw, and she looks and talks weird now. She was gorgeous before. Moral of the story: Always get a second and third opinion from top surgeons before going under the knife.

But yeah, #1 on the list was a guy who had prostate cancer. He loved his sex life so he was worried about it. Fortunately, the surgery was a success and his penis was totally in tact. But the surgeon said he'll even give the guy a free circumcision and that it'll improve his sex life. Of course, trusting this guy who just performed a successful surgery, he went back in and what d'ya know? Literally verbatim, the victim said, "They chopped the bloody thing off!!" I remember, 'cause I watched this show twice 'cause it was so intriguing, and I've recounted this story to a lot of people now. It's pretty sad... oh yeah, here's the good part. Eventually he filed a lawsuit and the judge compensated him with a fortune - $50,000. The guy was talking about how he doesn't even feel like a man anymore and that he feels like an animal. He also said that following the trial, when he arrived home, someone spray painted something like, "Enjoy your sex life!" or something like that on the car.
    Last edited by chemical Andy; 03-10-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Saw that on Oprah; one in six billion.

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy View Post
    Eventually he filed a lawsuit and the judge compensated him with a fortune - $50,000.
    Andy, I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic (ahh, the vagaries of internet "tone"). $50k is HARDLY a fortune, especially in the field of medical malpractice suits. I would think something on the order of 100x that is more in order due to the magnitude of his injuries, etc...
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Andy, I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic (ahh, the vagaries of internet "tone"). $50k is HARDLY a fortune, especially in the field of medical malpractice suits. I would think something on the order of 100x that is more in order due to the magnitude of his injuries, etc...
    Yeah, I'm a really sarcastic guy. I just don't really show it here 'cause it's a different atmosphere where everyone's serious for the most part. But yeah, I don't think any mount of money can repair what he lost, let alone 50K.