Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pure Orange Juice

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Your doing better than me, I'd only drink 3 litres on carido bunny days.

I haven't bothered to read all the nonsense that came after I posted but consider the following,

The sugar content of fruit juice is not 100% fructose. It's a mixture of sugars and you generally get about half as fructose. So 1 cup of juice might contain 10-15 g or fructose. Lyle McDonald pointed out in an article you don't really see any converison of fructose to fat until you consume about 50g of fructose, or well over a liter of juice. This not something the vast majority of us need be concerned about. The idea that juice must be banished from your diet because of this is absurd. The key is just remembering that you can't go nuts on the stuff.
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 03-19-2007 at 12:20 PM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

I think the point we're trying to make here is that juice isn't particularly good for you. Drink a little of it if you like the taste and can afford the calories. Just don't try to convince yourself it's a serving of fruit - because it really isn't.

For example, many parents don't consider this because they think fruit juice is good for their child, or even necessary for proper nutrition. But a child's liver is a lot smaller than an adult's liver - and a can of juice is a LOT of calories.

And a LOT of people drink over a litre of juice a day. My husband used to drink 2L of juice every day. He actually had a beer gut from it - and we don't drink!

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
    I haven't bothered to read all the nonsense that came after I posted but consider the following,

The sugar content of fruit juice is not 100% fructose. It's a mixture of sugars and you generally get about half as fructose. So 1 cup of juice might contain 10-15 g or fructose. Lyle McDonald pointed out in an article you don't really see any converison of fructose to fat until you consume about 50g of fructose, or well over a liter of juice. This not something the vast majority of us need be concerned about. The idea that juice must be banished from your diet because of this is absurd. The key is just remembering that you can't go nuts on the stuff.
    Though I do agree with you, I think there is more to the issue than you realize. You would be presuming that the only fructose in ones diet comes from fruit juice. What if this person wanted some ice cream? Or perhaps they wanted a candy bar? Then it is a concern for us? Absolutely it is. So many foods contain fructose/sucrose in sufficiant quanitities that it is a concern. When something can be elimated easily from ones diet, do it. If there is something that isn't so easy to give up, then get rid of the other things you can to make room for it It is all a trade-off. I'd rather have a snicker bar than 2 cups of orange juice. Of course, I opt not to eat both for the most part. In this case, eating fruit is far better than just drinking the sugar from it. But even so, if one did eat 100g of fructose, that is only 200 calories of potential spill over anyway, that isn't much at all anyway. So, I suppose in that sense, it really isn't a huge deal unless you eat a lot of sucrose/fructose.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    ^^

When you drink juice, it's like drinking soda with vitamins. Many of the nutritional benefits are lost during the juicing process as well. Eat fruit, don't drink it.
    BS, common sense tells you pure fruit juice is healthier. All this scientific B.S, hence why you have health nuts dying in their sixties. Juice is good, not good if your on a diet though.