Thread: Body Fat is Increasing?!?!

Wannabebig Member

Body Fat is Increasing?!?!

I've been hitting the gym for just over a month now with a very strict diet. When I started, my bodyfat was at 30%. Now, my scale is telling me that I'm up to 35%. I'm on a very low fat, low calorie diet and cannot understand this at all. I haven't lost or gained any weight at all. How is this remotely possible?

Void, there's a lot to learn on these boards. The first thing I should point out is that if you're using one of those "body fat estimator scales", they're not 100% reliable. Frankly, I highly doubt that you're at 35% body fat - that is quite high.

Second, it might be detrimental to be on a "low fat low cal" diet. Specifically, there's nothing wrong with having the *right* kind of dietary fats... we're talking avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, etc., versus ummmm bacon or butter every day, ya know?

Here's a little experiment. Use the following website. www.fitday.com. Track EVERYTHING you eat for one week (or as close as you can get to a week). We'll let you know what you could fix. Until then, keep reading here, there's a wealth of info!! I recommend checking the links (all of them!) in the signatures of two of our very learned and respected members, Built and ScarzOfPain. They have enough info there to keep you busy for hte week, and I guarantee if you stick with it, the pounds will come flying off!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Void, there's a lot to learn on these boards. The first thing I should point out is that if you're using one of those "body fat estimator scales", they're not 100% reliable. Frankly, I highly doubt that you're at 35% body fat - that is quite high.

Second, it might be detrimental to be on a "low fat low cal" diet. Specifically, there's nothing wrong with having the *right* kind of dietary fats... we're talking avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, etc., versus ummmm bacon or butter every day, ya know?

Here's a little experiment. Use the following website. www.fitday.com. Track EVERYTHING you eat for one week (or as close as you can get to a week). We'll let you know what you could fix. Until then, keep reading here, there's a wealth of info!! I recommend checking the links (all of them!) in the signatures of two of our very learned and respected members, Built and ScarzOfPain. They have enough info there to keep you busy for hte week, and I guarantee if you stick with it, the pounds will come flying off!
    Agreed. I have a very expensive BF/W% scale and it still tells me I am 20%+ BF. If you look at my journal, this will seem completely off. I have since used calipers and my BF% is much lower.

P.S. I also love how the scale gives me two different readings back-to-back. It is like stepping off and on the scale burned or created more fat. HAHA.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Wannabebig Member
    Okay that helps me from freaking out. I just stepped on it again after reading McIrish's post and it said 28%. I spent a lot of money on that damn thing for it to be off. Oh well. I do include fats in my diet, but only in the nut form. I try to keep it very lean otherwise. There's a sample diet in my intro post that shows what a typical day looks like.