The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brighton, Illinois
    Posts
    730

    Schwarzenegger's Routine

    Mon, Wed, Fri

    Chest:
    Bench press - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Flat bench flies - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Incline bench press - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Cable crossovers - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
    Dips - 5 sets, to failure
    Dumbbell pullovers - 5 sets, 10-12 reps

    Back:
    Front wide-grip chin-ups - 6 sets, to failure
    T-bar rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Seated pulley rows - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    One-arm dumbbell rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Straight-leg deadlifts - 6 sets, 15 reps

    Legs:
    Squats - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
    Leg presses - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
    Leg extensions - 6 sets, 12-15 reps
    Leg curls - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
    Barbell lunges - 5 sets, 15 reps

    Calves:
    Standing calf raises -10 sets, 10 reps
    Seated calf raises - 8 sets, 15 reps
    One-legged calf raises (holding dumbbells) - 6 sets,12 reps

    Forearms:
    Wrist curls (forearms on knees) - 4 sets, 10 reps
    Reverse barbell curls - 4 sets, 8 reps
    Wright roller machine - to failure

    Abs:
    Nonstop instinct training for 30 minutes

    --------------------------------------------

    Tues, Thurs, Sat

    Biceps:
    Barbell curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Seated dumbbell curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Dumbbell concentration curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps

    Triceps:
    Close-grip bench presses (for the all three heads) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Pushdowns (exterior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Barbell French presses (interior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    One-arm dumbbell triceps extensions (exterior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps

    Shoulders:
    Seated barbell presses - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Lateral raises (standing) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Rear-delt lateral raises - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Cable lateral raises - 5 sets, 10-12 reps

    Calves and Forearms:
    Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday

    Abs:
    Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday.



    What you guys think? I might just try it.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Ex-Manwhore KingWilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,057
    I'm pretty sure this has been posted before
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

    Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

    CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

    You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

  4. #3
    Playoffs!!! leveque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brew City, Wisconsin
    Posts
    386
    Wow, way too much for the average lifter.

    Actually, way too much for everybody except Arnold!
    Last edited by leveque; 03-12-2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
    5'6", 145 lbs.

  5. #4
    Not without incident..... Mad Martigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    231
    No Ahhhhnold presses?

  6. #5
    Playoffs!!! leveque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brew City, Wisconsin
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    No Ahhhhnold presses?
    Arnold does those on Sunday...10 sets of 75 reps with 170 lb dumbbells.
    5'6", 145 lbs.

  7. #6
    Senior Member KarateBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by leveque View Post
    Wow, way too much for the average lifter.

    Actually, way too much for everybody except Arnold!
    Quoted for truth.
    Max Lifts:------------------ Goals
    Bench Press: 215lbs------- 250lbs
    Squat:300lbs------------ 300 lbs
    Deadlift: 335------------ 350 lbs
    ----------------------
    Total: 850lbs ---------- 900 lbs

  8. #7
    BB'er turned PL'er Phenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,067
    I am unworthy to even think about trying that routine
    Age: 23 - Weight: 237 lbs - Height: 6'1''

    S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

    "Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

  9. #8
    Unremarkable Questor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I am unworthy to even think about trying that routine
    This routine would crush me.
    Last edited by Questor; 03-12-2007 at 09:45 PM.

  10. #9
    Thinnest member The Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    109
    I now have a goal
    Ron Coleman"everybody wanna be a bodybuilda, but nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight....i do it though...lightweight."

  11. #10
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,233
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    I now have a goal

    I hope it is to do 1/20th of that volume or you are asking for trouble.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

  12. #11
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Even if you wanted to try it just for fun, I doubt you have 4-5 hours a day to spend in the gym.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  13. #12
    Thinnest member The Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    109
    Even if you wanted to try it just for fun, I doubt you have 4-5 hours a day to spend in the gym.
    You assume wrong. Our gym opens at 5 A.M., I have plenty of time before class and work. Just takes decitation on my part.

    I will give it a long while before I attempt that routine though, my muscles need to get become accustomed to working out.
    Ron Coleman"everybody wanna be a bodybuilda, but nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight....i do it though...lightweight."

  14. #13
    Senior Member Sidior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    5,034
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    You assume wrong. Our gym opens at 5 A.M., I have plenty of time before class and work. Just takes decitation on my part.

    I will give it a long while before I attempt that routine though, my muscles need to get become accustomed to working out.
    your muslces will need more than to go through an adjustment phase, even with extreme decitation lol
    Last edited by Sidior; 03-12-2007 at 10:33 PM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

    Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

  15. #14
    Thinnest member The Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    109
    your muslces will need more than to go through an adjustment phase, even with extreme decitation lol
    Yea I know, it's a long term goal not a short one haha. I would give it 2 years before I could handle that workout.
    Ron Coleman"everybody wanna be a bodybuilda, but nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight....i do it though...lightweight."

  16. #15
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    Yea I know, it's a long term goal not a short one haha. I would give it 2 years before I could handle that workout.

    2 years..more like NEVER.


    Arnold had/has exceptional genetics ( in terms of recovery among other things) and was on steroids to boot.

    Those enabled him to handle a high volume.

    If you have neither you WILL burn out on that volume.
    That's 121 sets on M, W,F apiece That's a total of 363 sets. And then there's T, Th, S which has 86 set of each day for a total of 258 sets. So the total volume for one week would be SIX HUNDRED AND TWENTY-ONE SETS!

    Somehow I am doubting this is Arnold's true workout...he was famous for his practical jokes. He probably wanted to see who would be gullible enough to actually fall for something like this.

    You WILL destroy your CNS training on this system if not severely injure yourself so badly that you are unable to train EVER again. Please tell me you are joking.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-13-2007 at 12:18 AM.

  17. #16
    Thinnest member The Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    109
    I think it's doable with lower reps and set numbers. Maybe 3 of each.
    Ron Coleman"everybody wanna be a bodybuilda, but nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight....i do it though...lightweight."

  18. #17
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    Mon, Wed, Fri

    Chest:
    Bench press - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Flat bench flies - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Incline bench press - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Cable crossovers - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
    Dips - 5 sets, to failure
    Dumbbell pullovers - 5 sets, 10-12 reps

    Back:
    Front wide-grip chin-ups - 6 sets, to failure
    T-bar rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Seated pulley rows - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    One-arm dumbbell rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Straight-leg deadlifts - 6 sets, 15 reps

    Legs:
    Squats - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
    Leg presses - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
    Leg extensions - 6 sets, 12-15 reps
    Leg curls - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
    Barbell lunges - 5 sets, 15 reps

    Calves:
    Standing calf raises -10 sets, 10 reps
    Seated calf raises - 8 sets, 15 reps
    One-legged calf raises (holding dumbbells) - 6 sets,12 reps

    Forearms:
    Wrist curls (forearms on knees) - 4 sets, 10 reps
    Reverse barbell curls - 4 sets, 8 reps
    Wright roller machine - to failure

    Abs:
    Nonstop instinct training for 30 minutes

    --------------------------------------------

    Tues, Thurs, Sat

    Biceps:
    Barbell curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Seated dumbbell curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Dumbbell concentration curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps

    Triceps:
    Close-grip bench presses (for the all three heads) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Pushdowns (exterior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Barbell French presses (interior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    One-arm dumbbell triceps extensions (exterior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps

    Shoulders:
    Seated barbell presses - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Lateral raises (standing) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Rear-delt lateral raises - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Cable lateral raises - 5 sets, 10-12 reps

    Calves and Forearms:
    Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday

    Abs:
    Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday.



    What you guys think? I might just try it.

    Do you REALLY think that doing more than six hundred sets a week would be beneficial to you? There was a professional bodybuilder back a few decades ago who believed that high volume was the way to go. He would do 70 or more sets in a workout. He nearly killed himself.

    This workout has about SIX TIMES the volume of the above bodybuilder's program and this guy was genetically gifted and on steroids.

    Now if he couldn't handle a high volume program despite his advantages...what makes you think you would benefit from something that has six times the workload?

  19. #18
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    I think it's doable with lower reps and set numbers. Maybe 3 of each.

    Try 1. 3 still gives you in excess of 60 sets a day or thereabouts.

    Honestly you'd do much better on something like this: (If you want a demanding routine)


    Squat
    Deadlift
    OH press
    Dip

    Perform this routine 3 times a week. 3-4 sets of each exercise. Keep the reps in the 6-8 range. When you can squat 400(ATG) deadlift 500 and OH press bodyweight (all for a full ROM and reps) you will have a very good physique.

    Drink lots of milk and eat lots of protein (along with complex carbs and healthy fats). Get plenty of sleep (as much as you require to be fully rested)
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-13-2007 at 12:43 AM.

  20. #19
    Thinnest member The Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    109
    I like my new routine more, thanks though.

    Arnolds routine would be if my body can handle it later on, no clue if that will be possible. Doubters give me goals, regardless of how silly they may seem I still strive to get the most out of my body, without steroids. Or injury if that one is possible.
    Ron Coleman"everybody wanna be a bodybuilda, but nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight....i do it though...lightweight."

  21. #20
    Banned Slim Schaedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    1,722
    I did that routine (actually, Mon, Wed, Fri was twice a day) my senior year in high school.


    Woke up at 5am, worked out until 6:30am. Went to school, came home, did another 1.5-2 hours.


    I have no idea how I didn't feel like crap all the time.


    Oh yeah, I never gained anything substantial from it.

  22. #21
    Senior Member Levantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Do you REALLY think that doing more than six hundred sets a week would be beneficial to you? There was a professional bodybuilder back a few decades ago who believed that high volume was the way to go. He would do 70 or more sets in a workout. He nearly killed himself.

    This workout has about SIX TIMES the volume of the above bodybuilder's program and this guy was genetically gifted and on steroids.

    Now if he couldn't handle a high volume program despite his advantages...what makes you think you would benefit from something that has six times the workload?
    It all depends on how much weight your doing. If your not pushing yourself to failure it wouldn't be too much for you.

  23. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,455
    wow i never new of the crapppy workouts he did, talk about not letting your muscles heal and recover.

  24. #23
    Super Human kingkrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FT. Hood TX
    Posts
    219
    Yeah as it was said before, Arnold is a freak and this allows him an advantage in the volume dept.

    Arnold was on Steroids and this allows him an even bigger advantage.

    I did try one of his workouts that was in his Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding once upon a time, and I just about died.

    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

  25. #24
    Dynamo
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    103
    I am doing a dulled down version of the Encyclopedia's beginning workout and I still run out of gas at the end lol. If i ever conquer the beginners I will be impressed.
    The mind is a dynamo, a source of vital energy. That energy can be negative and work against you, or you can harness it ... - Arnold Scwarzenegger
    My Comic
    195 lbs.
    Bench - 235(5)6
    Squat - 335(5)7
    Deadlift - 405(5)5

    Goal: To be massive, yet remain dashingly handsome.

  26. #25
    TN TerrorSquad Jaybird88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggerGuns=LD View Post
    He never trained like that, it's just BS he put in his book.
    Ahnold? Is thot you?
    19 Years Old
    5'8
    147lbs

    Journal:http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=102026
    RAW/Belt - Pre-2008 - Present - Goal
    Bench: ------- 185 ------ 200 ----- 225
    Squat: ------- 265 ------ 285 ----- 315
    Deads: ------- 355 ------ 405 ----- 455

    I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me [strong]. And when I [lift], I feel His pleasure. -Chariots of Fire(mod.)

Similar Threads

  1. reccommended routine
    By undrcnstruction in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-10-2002, 10:58 PM
  2. Suggestions on a Temp. Routine Change
    By rookiebldr in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2002, 06:27 PM
  3. How good is the first WWB routine??
    By OiBoy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2002, 01:41 PM
  4. First WWB Routine...
    By OiBoy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 11:47 PM
  5. Would the WBB Routine be the BEST routine possible for me???
    By OiBoy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2002, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •