Thread: Ab training

Ab training

For those of you who do ab specific training (I'm aware I'll get plenty of "I DO SQUATS/DEADS/ROWS AND THATS ALL THE AB TRAINING I NEED!" talk) whats your sets/exercises/volume etc. look like?

I see a lot of endurance/bodybuilding ab training (i.e. a 30 minute ab routine with an obscene amount of volume) but very little on ab training for strength purposes.

All I do currently are a few heavy sets of leg lifts or inclined crunches a week. Occasionally I'll do some sandbag training (Turkish getups, shoulder carry for distance),, but its really, really hard to gauge progress, so I'm looking for a new/different approach.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    All I do currently are a few heavy sets of leg lifts or inclined crunches a week. Occasionally I'll do some sandbag training (Turkish getups, shoulder carry for distance),, but its really, really hard to gauge progress, so I'm looking for a new/different approach.
    If you're abs aren't limiting you, you're probably doing enough.

I don't agree with the "squats and DLs are all you need" idea, but you can certainly overdo specialized ab work.

Try to cover your bases w. flexion, isometric contraction, rotation, oblique/serratus work if you don't know what to focus on. If you find particular exercises/movements that you are really weak on (obliques - side bends or saxon side bends, for example), spend more time bringing that up.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Train everything like it's weak. Don't focus too much on what crazy things you could do. Just stick with the basics. Weighted Ab Work, leg raises, pulldown Abs, Side Bends.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I like straight-legged situps with band resistance.

Standing or kneeling ab pulldowns from a high cable.

I would just stay away from the bodyweight-only, high rep crap. That's not gonna help you handle big poundages on the squat or deadlift. Add some resistance.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I train them about once or twice a week.
    Very few sets.

My favorite exercise is the pelvic tilt, I lie on my back, lift both legs just a bit off the floor/bench, keep the lower back as flat as possible (rotating the pelvis back). Adding ankle weights, even very little, make this exercise extremely hard.

The other I do are negative dragon flags.

Add to that dumbbell windmills. Definitively my favorite obliques exercise. Not that soreness is that good, but I can feel it pretty well in my obliques the following days.

I'm mostly against exercises such as crunches and other popular choices as the main practical functions of the abs have nothing to do with flexing the trunk. I'm not saying it can't have bodybuilding benefits on your abs, but that I don't see how it could help other lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder View Post
    I'm mostly against exercises such as crunches and other popular choices as the main practical functions of the abs have nothing to do with flexing the trunk. I'm not saying it can't have bodybuilding benefits on your abs, but that I don't see how it could help other lifts.
    Most sport skills are going to be a static contraction of the abs, but that doesn't mean that flexion exercises (i.e. weighted crunches) are meaningless. Definately true though that most ab programs are hopelessly misguided.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

16/02/07

training - core

bench crunch
    - BW x 15
    - +10kg x 20
    - +10kg x 30
    - +10kg x 40
    - +20kg x 50 (PR)
    - +40kg x 22 (PR)

dumbbell side bend
    - 24kg x 10 / 10
    - 60kg x 20 / 20 (PR)
    - 45kg x 10 / 10
    - 30kg x 12 / 12

that sesh pretty much sums it up for me - i consider core strength to be so important that ive gained too much strength to always be able to do low reps, side bends i can just keep adding weight but for abs i often have to do high reps, in this workout it was that i couldn't pick up another 20 plate without dropping one

if i could get a plate loadable high pulley id always do rope crunch for 5-10 reps, for probably 5 or 6 sets