The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Unnecessary Bickering (what do you think?)

Recently I have felt that this board has had an overwhelming amount of bickery and narcissism. Many people come here to learn in an open community with a wealth of information and great articles on the main page, and this site has not deterred away from that purpose even slightly (thank you!). But, I feel like many of the posts in threads are taking away from the original poster's intention and only causing harm.

Some examples:
    General Chat - Question about smith rack
    Many of the posts were, instead of helping the poster, were along the lines of "toss the rack," "lose the rack," "burn the rack..." And no one had any reason to know why the poster was needing one. I certainly don't disagree with the necessity of free weights and their importance, but I certainly don't disregard machinery. Also, it was noted that it was for the poster's wife, who was not as serious a lifter, and that this would be more than enough--not everyone can be a super lifter, so why did people flame the poster?

Video section - 13 year-old lifter 165 X 4
    It seems like people are more intrested in seeming intelligent by belitting the lifter, when often times they have nothing to show for it. I feel that many people, like with posts on this, arn't "impressed" because they can do better.

It just seems to me that people are too quick to disregard other forms of training that arn't WBB-approved: cardio, high reps, static excercising, stretching, and arn't open-minded enough to give praise and respectful criticism when deserved.

I'm not looking to fight, I'm looking to discuss.
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 03-16-2007 at 01:04 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think you do have a point to some degree.

It has to cut both ways.

We should be open minded to discuss and debate different ways of doing things and also be tolerant with people that hold a different or an incorrect view on things. However if people hold a clearly incorrect view and are not making it easy to be helped, they should be told

Also, I think at times, some people scan posts for key bits and then respond quickly without taking the time to really notice the details and whats being asked.

Its all of our jobs to help people out, this is a community and we are all in the same game, the iron game We should also remember, at one point we were all the same. We all walked into the gym for the first time and thought we knew how to do things until we really started to learn all of the different things related to training and eating.

So, a little patience for those just learning and some open minded ness is whats needed.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

I see a lot of "answers" that aren't really answers, just condescending remarks that serve to raise the poster's low self-esteem a little bit. That irritates me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I see a lot of "answers" that aren't really answers, just condescending remarks that serve to raise the poster's low self-esteem a little bit. That irritates me.
    more likely a new person comes one th eboard asking for help and they get yelled at and told to search not getting any answers, and lot of people here act like they know it all and are the ultimate BB or wl

I agree with what you guys are saying, but we are all to blame here. This is the internet and people feel that since they will probobly never meet anyone on the board, they can be all etough, esmart, eknow it all.. etc. There are threads that will draw more negative attention because of how the question was asked, what was being asked or the OP's reaction to the replies. You cant forget the amount of helpful advice and support on these boards though.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wannabebig Member
    theres a certain mod who simply spouts "EAT MORE" and "DONT WORRY ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE" for any posed question. Its incredibly unhelpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlepex View Post
    theres a certain mod who simply spouts "EAT MORE" and "DONT WORRY ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE" for any posed question. Its incredibly unhelpful.
    I agree completely. I'm sick of seeing non-answers to legitimate questions, especially when the OP is a noob.

Detard: You're right. I've been guilty of acting like an e-thug myself - I'm not proud of it.

Smokinhawk: You're also right. There comes a time when two people have to agree to disagree. I've seen threads degenerate into childish personal attacks that go on for several pages because neither person will just drop the ****ing argument.

I have a question. Why should we go out of our way to help somebody by answering their questions when they don't even have the initiative to read the damn stickies? A simple "EAT MORE" and "DONT WORRY ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE" are pretty good advice for a lot of people that come on here. Most people coming up here are 115lbs wanting to look like Ahhnold. If they don't take the time to do a little reading, I'm sure as hell not going to take the time to type out a lengthy response.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Most people coming up here are 115lbs wanting to look like Ahhnold. If they don't take the time to do a little reading, I'm sure as hell not going to take the time to type out a lengthy response.
    1 - Not true (I don't think anyone's first post has been "I want to be Ahnold.")
    2 - Then don't help them; no one's asking for your help.

There are people--like me--who don't mind helping people who have just started out. Because, the first year I was on this board I asked some horrible questions. I understand where people are coming from. So, yeah, I would help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlepex View Post
    Except it's the right answer most of the time.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I'm closing this because it's going to become a bitchfest. There's a feedback forum for this purpose.

And, as always, if you don't like it, you can be an agent of change. Instead of bitching about what you don't like, post answers to questions yourselves.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.