Thread: Advice for 'Skinny Fat'

Wannabebig Member

Advice for 'Skinny Fat'

For those who don't know, skinny-fat means I'm thin, but I still have a lot of body fat on (5'7, 70 kg with body fat being about 17-25%). My goals are getting 'bigger', while dropping most of this fat and having my abs show up. Most people say that you should either focus on gaining muscle or losing fat at one time, so what should I do first. Should I:

1) Bulk up first, and gain 30-40 lbs of body weight with the majority hopefully being muscle, and then start cutting down.- This might make me gain more body fat, but its is my prefered choice.

or:

2) Cut down first, and get my body fat % from where it is (around 17-23%, I think) to 7-9% and then bulking up, hopefully retaining the low bf % and gaining mostly muscle. (But this will make me look even more skinny than I already am for at least a few weeks).

If both approaches give the same results, I would choose to bulk up first, but I want to know which one would get me to the end goal faster and be better in the long run. Any ideas?

If you are just staring out, follow a sensible high protein moderate carb/fat diet, and basic trining.

6 months from now, you won't be skinny or fat.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    If you are just staring out, follow a sensible high protein moderate carb/fat diet, and basic trining.

6 months from now, you won't be skinny or fat.
    Agreed. No need to bulk or cut at this time... Just maintain your weight and hit it hard in the gym!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    Should I do cardio too, or stick to only weight training for now?

Wannabebig Member
    Also, is WBB1 routine good to start and use for the next 6 months - or for how long?

I would do some cardio.

No, I would not start out with that routine.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Paul,
    which routine do you recommend starting out with then - and for how long until I can do WWB1?

I would start out with this:

Squat 2x15
    SLDL 2x10
    Row 3x8
    Chin 3xasmanyasyoucando
    Bench press 2x10
    Overhead press 3x8

Do that 3 non-consecutive days a week (MWF). Add weight to the squats every single workout. No matter what. Get the reps.

After you finish that each day, spend 15 minutes or so doing other stuff. Arms, abs, traps, etc. Don't do the same thing every day, maybe do shrugs and calf raises on monday, curls and pressdowns on wednesday, then abs on friday... whatever.

Do that for 6 months. If you get bored, take an occasional day where you work up to a max, or do more reps, or whatever you need to stop being bored (I mean like one workoout a month).

If you add weight to the squats and you eat right, in 6 months you'll need new clothes, and you'll be ready to do some more focused training if you like.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.