The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bad Ankle - Squats, Deadlift, crouching issues

OK, so 10 years ago I skateboarded and ****ed up my right ankle. It was a reinjury every couple of months until this past October when I had reconstructive surgery on it. They tightened and reconfigured all of the outer ligaments and the tendon.

My problem is that it will forever be TIGHT. I'm doing some physical therapy to loosen it up, but I'm also lifting. My deadlifts (for instance) are difficult to start flat footed, as my range of motion in that ankle WILL NOT allow me to rest on my heel until the lift has started. This also happens on the way down with squats just about the time I hit parallel.

If I control it with this knowledge, will this be alright? Can I just compensate and get my heel down ASAP on these types of lifts?

Thanks!
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5
    C**k Pushups - 1x1 (Cuz that's all you need baby!)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by theJamAbides View Post
    OK, so 10 years ago I skateboarded and ****ed up my right ankle. It was a reinjury every couple of months until this past October when I had reconstructive surgery on it. They tightened and reconfigured all of the outer ligaments and the tendon.

My problem is that it will forever be TIGHT. I'm doing some physical therapy to loosen it up, but I'm also lifting. My deadlifts (for instance) are difficult to start flat footed, as my range of motion in that ankle WILL NOT allow me to rest on my heel until the lift has started. This also happens on the way down with squats just about the time I hit parallel.

If I control it with this knowledge, will this be alright? Can I just compensate and get my heel down ASAP on these types of lifts?

Thanks!
    I might be one of the most experienced in here as far as ankle injuries. I broke both and ripped all the ligaments in both 2 consecutive years during basketball games. I can no longer play basketball. I still feel the pain everyday. I say screw the ankles. Get busy living or get busy dying. I do all the major lifts whether my ankles hurt or not. Stay strong!

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Maybe you can lift deads from boxes. I bet that'll help. Or try rack-pulls.

I wouldn't think that you should shift weight onto the toes in squats, I think that means your lower back is breaking forward. If I'm right, your lower legs should remain upright and the bending should occur at the knee. Like you're sitting down backwards into a chair.
    Last edited by Questor; 03-16-2007 at 11:23 AM.

^^^I agree Questor. Get your stance wider on squats and see if that helps. I would think a wider stance would involve less ankle movement than a close stance. Might want to try sumo deadlifts also.

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    I might be one of the most experienced in here as far as ankle injuries. I broke both and ripped all the ligaments in both 2 consecutive years during basketball games. I can no longer play basketball. I still feel the pain everyday. I say screw the ankles. Get busy living or get busy dying. I do all the major lifts whether my ankles hurt or not. Stay strong!

Unfortunately it's not a matter of pain, but range of motion. I figure it will get better as it stretches. I might have to stop hack squats due to it, I had the worst trouble with those. But I also think I'll get busy living like you said! Thanks! I'll try the boxes too and see what that is all about.
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    ^^^I agree Questor. Get your stance wider on squats and see if that helps. I would think a wider stance would involve less ankle movement than a close stance. Might want to try sumo deadlifts also.
    Awesome recommendation!
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5

Agree with the last two posts. Try box squats as well.
    Also stretching your hamstrings could help you with the deads, so your knees don't have to come forward so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Agree with the last two posts. Try box squats as well.
    Also stretching your hamstrings could help you with the deads, so your knees don't have to come forward so much.
    Yeah, I forgot about the hamstrings. Having flexible hamstrings would allow you to deadlift with straigther legs - it will put a lot more emphasis on the hams rather than the back, but I guess you can't have everything.

Well, I have to hand it to you guys. I widened my stance a bit and stretched my hamstrings beforehand and I was able to perform some great deadlifts yesterday.

Thanks!
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5