The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Time to step it up: Arms

Hey guys,

Okay, for the past year i've been working on my arms. Although, to be honest i've only recently started really working them to the extent that i'm happy. When I tense them, they're fairly big, however when they're relaxed I honestly can't say that they've gotten any bigger, which is annoying because the rest of me has, and the arms simply look disproportionate now.
    So, is there any way to boost my arm size?

I perform hammer curls, curls and preacher curls once a week for the biceps and dips, close grip bench press and extensions for triceps once a week. I mean, is it possible to do these exercises twice a week?

Thanks
    Last edited by SonixBoom; 03-17-2007 at 09:59 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would say that if you post your whole routine up here we'll be able to help you a whole lot more. Otherwise the possibilities are too many as to why your arms aren't big.

Include everything you can when you tell us more. Here is what we would LIKE to know:
    - Your goals
    - How much you weigh
    - Your % Body Fat (or are you slimmer, normal, fatter, obese?)
    - What your maintenance calories are (what and how much you eat over a week when you're not gaining or losing weight)
    - Your water consumption
    - Your protein intake per day on average
    - What weights you do, how many sets and reps and how heavy?
    - What cardiovascular exercise you do
    - Your average amount of sleep
    Last edited by Australian; 03-17-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been having the same problem. First: You dont want to over work your arms, so dont do it twice a week...let them heal. How many sets and reps per set are you doing for those excerises? Are you doing chin-ups also?
    6'2"
    190lbs

Quote Originally Posted by jstretch View Post
    I've been having the same problem. First: You dont want to over work your arms, so dont do it twice a week...let them heal. How many sets and reps per set are you doing for those excerises? Are you doing chin-ups also?
    True, over-training must be avoided to maximise hypertrophy gains. However, hitting the arms twice a week is good for most people. I do arm killing exercises twice a week - once on shoulder day (compound & isolation) and once on chest day (compound lifts).
    Last edited by Australian; 03-17-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian View Post
    True, over-training must be avoided to maximise hypertrophy gains. However, hitting the arms twice a week is good for most people. I do arm killing exercises twice a week - once on shoulder day (compound & isolation) and once on chest day (compound lifts).
    That depends. You can get big arms from compound movements alone without any real isolation movements.

It really depends on the person.

To the OP,

Have you ever tried taking out isolation movements for your arms completely?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    I was under the assumption not to do isolation twice a week like Sonix, but doing compound for arms twice a week is very effective. I've always done isolation, but I'm doing WBB starting this month so we'll see the results.

6'2"
    190lbs

What works best for me is Isolation one day and then arms get hit again on chest/back day.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Not without incident..... Mad Martigan's Avatar
    I'm considering a higher rep range for bicep exercises, as my strength seems to be progressing just fine while size falls a little behind. But, I haven't tried switching exercises every week. I usually just do heavy Barbell curls and hammer curls(in addition to whatever rows and pullups). I may experiment with different bicep exercises each week to maybe surprise the muscle into growing some more. Of course, I only eat about 2,000 -2,200 calories a day, so that probably plays a large role in it.
    Last edited by Mad Martigan; 03-17-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jstretch View Post
    I was under the assumption not to do isolation twice a week like Sonix, but doing compound for arms twice a week is very effective. I've always done isolation, but I'm doing WBB starting this month so we'll see the results.
    WBB has exactly what I prescribe in it. One day of compound (shoulders) and isolation (tris and bis) on the arms, and one more day (as far away as possible) in the week with compound hitting them again (on chest/back day) Your arms will be big, as long as you lift, eat, and sleep. Get a detailed plan for all three and you'll do great.

WBB has exactly what I prescribe in it. One day of compound (shoulders) and isolation (tris and bis) on the arms, and one more day (as far away as possible) in the week with compound hitting them again (on chest/back day) Your arms will be big, as long as you lift, eat, and sleep. Get a detailed plan for all three and you'll do great.
    I do the WBB as well, but I do those two workouts on Mon -Wed instead of Mon - Fri. I think my back is still too weak to really tire out my arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    I'm considering a higher rep range for bicep exercises, as my strength seems to be progressing just fine while size falls a little behind. But, I haven't tried switching exercises every week. I usually just do heavy Barbell curls and hammer curls(in addition to whatever rows and pullups). I may experiment with different bicep exercises each week to maybe surprise the muscle into growing some more. Of course, I only eat about 2,000 -2,200 calories a day, so that probably plays a large role in it.
    No, not higher reps. Heavier weights, more often, less reps. Changing your exercise too often won't achieve muscle shock. This theory is for implementation in 8 to 12 week increments. Eat more calories perhaps? Depends on your goals.

I do the WBB as well, but I do those two workouts on Mon -Wed instead of Mon - Fri. I think my back is still too weak to really tire out my arms.
    Whoa man. Your arms need more than Mon - Wed to recover. Do what the routine says or just forget it all and make it up as you go along.
    Last edited by Australian; 03-17-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Whoa man. Your arms need more than Mon - Wed to recover. Do what the routine says or just forget it all and make it up as you go along.
    Why? If muscles necessarily took that long to recover, then no one would feel that routines like the 5X5 were any good. I imagine that as the load for my back exercises becomes larger, it will wear my arms out more, but not now.

No, not higher reps. Heavier weights, more often, less reps. Changing your exercise too often won't achieve muscle shock. This theory is for implementation in 8 to 12 week increments. Eat more calories perhaps? Depends on your goals.
    What I've been doing is Running the WBB1, and starting with a weight I can hit for 6 controlled reps(2 sets). When I can hit 2 working sets of 8()or 3 sets of 6, I move up and usually start over at 6 reps again. That keeps the weight about as heavy as I can handle it for 6 reps. I guess I could drop it down to 4.

You grow out of the gym, not in it, so keep your day1 and day3 of WBB separated at either end of the week. They are as far away from each other as possible for a reason.

Reps? Weight? Do practically un-weighted warm-ups, then hit heavier weights progressively. So, for each different lift do:
    - light warm up (get the blood moving)
    - pretty heavy set of 8 (not maxing out but pretty close)
    - break and regain strength (variable time) Now you're pumped in the appropriate muscle, you'll be stronger there.
    - This final set is heavier than the last set. Do your best to get to 8, but if you can only get to 6, that's still good.
    - Stretch it out and regain strength while lining up the next lift
    - light warm up (unless already warm in this muscle ie up to french press after close grip bench press - tris are already warm)
    - pretty heavy... etc...
    Last edited by Australian; 03-17-2007 at 12:17 PM.

You grow out of the gym, not in it, so keep your day1 and day3 of WBB separated at either end of the week. They are as far away from each other as possible for a reason.
    Please don't ignore my comment about 5x5.

Reps? Weight? Do practically un-weighted warm-ups, then hit heavier weights progressively. So, for each different lift do:
    - light warm up (get the blood moving)
    - pretty heavy set of 8 (not maxing out but pretty close)
    - break and regain strength (variable time) Now you're pumped in the appropriate muscle, you'll be stronger there.
    - This final set is heavier than the last set. Do your best to get to 8, but if you can only get to 6, that's still good.
    - Stretch it out
    I'll warm up with 25lb dumbells and then hit my working sets. I just moved up to 85lbs for bb curl (7 then 6 reps) and 30lb dumbells for hammer curls(8 then 7 reps). I don't change the weight for my 2 working sets. I have hit backwards working sets before(more reps on the second set than the first), leading me to believe I could warm up better.

I should mention that biceps are done last, after my shoulder and tricep stuff, so there should be plenty of blood flowing in there.
    Last edited by Mad Martigan; 03-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    Chin ups especially hit my arms hard, maybe supplement your diet with a scoop of creatine a day? They will definately look a little bigger even though it probably wont do alot for your strength.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87300
    21 yrs
    155 lbs 01/2/07 - 167 lbs 16/3/07 -169 lbs 20/4/07
    5'10 ft

Bench: 120lbs
    DL: 160lbs
    Squat: 120lbs ON HOLD
    Total = 400lbs

That's true, I'm not taking any creatine.

Umm yeah... I don't know about this whole Creatine propaganda. Isn't it naturally occurring in all complete forms of protein? Why do we need Creatine by itself?

IDK. Most people supplement their EFA's as well, you know. Do you know what levels of creatine look like in a person eating a hi protein diet as compared to those in a person eating the same diet and taking supplemental creatine?

If the levels are the same I would check for it in your urine or stools. If they were greater I would say that's because you ingested it. We need complete protein for our cells reproduce. That means all of the amino acids, essential and non-essential. I believe that they are all available in food in adequate amounts. I understand that eating protein close to working out has a faster absorption benefit, but if you've got a good diet then your creatine levels will be comparable to those of all the other essential amino acids.

Also I found this on page 1 of WBB1
    Our routine is constructed so you get maximumn recovery time between workouts and muscle groups.
    There's even a spelling mistake on maximum
    Last edited by Australian; 03-17-2007 at 01:18 PM.

bone crusher
    dietary creatine comes from muscle tissue. It is not present in plant tissue

the human liver synthesizes creatine

If the levels are the same I would check for it in your urine or stools. If they were greater I would say that's because you ingested it. We need complete protein for our cells reproduce. That means all of the amino acids, essential and non-essential. I believe that they are all available in food in adequate amounts. I understand that eating protein close to working out has a faster absorption benefit, but if you've got a good diet then your creatine levels will be comparable to those of all the other essential amino acids.
    So your take on it is that creatine supplements are bull**** like glutamine supplements?

As I said earlier, I don't know. I'm not convinced. They'll feed you anything for a buck.

Wannabebig Member
    So your take on it is that creatine supplements are bull**** like glutamine supplements?
    I think what he's saying is it depends on your diet.
    6'2"
    190lbs