Thread: New To Lifting / Advice Needed

Wannabebig Member

New To Lifting / Advice Needed

Hey,

I just registered a little while ago because this seems like a great site with a lot of knowledgeable people. Hopefully you all can give me some advice which will help me to be most efficient and gain the most results in the time that I have to work out.

Since about mid November, I got a bench press in my basement. Since then I have become estatic about working out and have been working out 4 times a week for an hour with it each time. I have never previously worked out and 2 of my housemates regularly work out with me on it and helped to show me some exercises.

Here is some info that might be helpfull:
    I'm 19 - Played 2 sports (basketball and volleyball) throughout HS

I'm about 6'3 and in november weighed around 124. Extreamly lanky. However now I am about 135 and gaining weight. Everyone in my family is very tall (taller then me) and skinny.

In November I started out with just a bench press of 75 pounds and doing 3 sets for the first time about 5 - 4 - 4.

Now my routine looks like this.

Bench Press - 105 3 sets of 8 ( Just moved doing 6 - 5 - 5 )

Then Bench 95 3 sets of 8 ( usally get around 8 - 7 - 6) I go down 10 pounds for the work down sets.

After this I incline bench press 3 sets of 75. Just did 8 - 8 - 8 first time yesterday will move up to 80 tomorrow.

After this I do dumbell (is that how you spell it?) curls with 30 pound weights 3 sets of 8.

After my work out, I go upstairs and have a Whey protein shake with 2 scoops. I have one everyday.

Is this a good workout? Is there anything I can do that would be more efficient? I just have bench and dumbells up to 35.

I really want to deveop my upper body and hope that this is the best I can do to help me achieve what I want. I am seeing results in my chest, but maybe I can do more. Again, I just started working out a few months ago and love it. Thanks for reading and any advice you may have.

Banned
    this is not a good workout

read the stickies and read some of the routines

read the diet forum stickies as well...

you need a routine that hits your whole body not just your chest and biceps...

Wannabebig Member
    Yikes!

Guess I will start reading those articles you just mentioned. Understand that I am somewhat limited by the equipment I have.

Banned
    Maybe there is a gym in your area that you can sign up for?

You would be what most people call a curl jockey..

..luckily, you have seen the light and found advice.

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, I go to college, so there is a workout facility I can go to. However, none of my housemates are willing to go with me and the only time we can usually workout is around 8 PM or so.

However, for my birthday, I asked for a gym membership and will be switching to going to the gym when I go back to my homestate. I have friends at home who would be willing to work out with me.

I am in the process of reading these articles right now. In the mean time, any advice on what I can do with the equipment I have would be great. Why is my workout not good? Are things that I am doing useless? Should I be working other muscles?

Banned
    Your workout is no good becuase you only work your chest and your biceps.

A decent split would go like this

Chest / Back

Legs

Arms / shoulders

or

Chest Triceps

Back Bis

Legs

With plenty of rest in between workouts.

If none of your buddies will work out with you at a gym and you are serious about lifting, you may have to start going alone. Maybe if they see some of your results they will be persuaded to start going with you.

You can do a lot of exercises with a barbell. (the one you are using to do your bench presses with)

Try standing military press / bent over barbells rows / deadlifts / Squats / Lunges / reverse curls

you can do dumbell overhead presses with the dumbells / bench press / bent over db rows ... someday you can get heavier that 35 -when you work up to it.

Maybe you should post your diet in the diet forum if you haven't already. I assume your goal is to gain a decent ammount of weight.. .at 6'3" 135 you could probably stand to gain at least 50 - 70 lbs.

Banned
    www.exrx.net to research the exercises

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice.

Is there a website you have that would clarify what some of these exercises are for me? Like what is a "lunge".

Also, I am very serious about working out. However, I would prefere to work out with my friends for the 4 weeks I have left this year.

Could I do something like this?

Monday - Upperbody
    Tuesday - Lowerbody

- And continue alternating?

My Upperbody would include the the workout I am doing now plus a tricept exercise / shoulder exercise. Is what I am doing for benching good?

Lower Body what can I do with the weights I have? Can I deadlift or squat with my bench bar? Are there leg workouts I can do with my dumbells?

BGB is a goo upper/lower split, and WBB1 is a good workout too, for beginners.

Best advice you will get ever for this stage in your lifting career...

EAT!

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Try this site too. http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm
    The animations arent the best but they give good descriptions of the excercises. Hope it helps
    5'10" 200lbs
    BF-15%
    Bench-305x1
    Deadlift-440x1
    Squat-will know soon

Wannabebig Member
    Awesome! Thanks for the responses.

Again, I am somewhat limited for the next month because of the equipment I have.

I Just want to repeat what I have been doing for my upperbody workouts.

Bench Press - 105 3 sets of 8 ( Just moved doing 6 - 5 - 5 )

Then Bench 95 3 sets of 8 ( usally get around 8 - 7 - 6) I go down 10 pounds for the work down sets.

After this I incline bench press 3 sets of 75. Just did 8 - 8 - 8 first time yesterday will move up to 80 tomorrow.

After this I do dumbell curls with 30 pound weights 3 sets of 8.

Now this takes me about an hour to do. I have heard different things. Are the 3 sets after my max benefiting me? SHould I maybe do a tricept exercise insted of that? I want to be as effiecient as possible.

Does anyone want to be bold enough a suggest me a upperbody workout routine?

Do squats and deads and bench(also know as the big three). Everthing else is easier if you push yourself on those. They are VERY fun too! I'm not being sarcastic when i say that!They will really get you into lifting as I have experienced!

Eat right too!

?????
    not a good routine at all you need to work all your body not just one or two parts i would recommend WBB1