The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Combined growth with Atkins loss?

I am currently starting Atkins, while already on Xenadrine.

I take Xenadrine for two purposes:

1) increased energy for workouts.
    2) Increased weight loss.

I am doing Atkins to get fat off a little quicker (jump start myself) and also to try to help regulate some of my BAD food vices (6-10 Cokes/Pepsis a day)

Atkins (for those unfamiliar) is a LOW carb diet, but pretty much anything else goes. I average between 10 and 20 milligrams of carbohydrates daily!!!!! (YES, milligrams)

So no, breads, pasta, sugars, etc...

Now, I am wondering about doing some protein shakes in addition (but they have to be LOW carbs (like under 5mg/serving)) in order to be able to still grow muscle at a decent rate.

What shakes do you guys recommend? And if you post your brand PLEASE post the carb count or other nutrional info!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Um, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Just to let you know, you would be better off doing a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet or the Natural Hormonal Enhancement Diet. And you will not be able to gain any muscle on these diets if you are eating low enough calories to be cutting fat.

Atkins is ok for people not exercising, but if you are exercising it sucks. Plus, their are no refeeds in Atkins so your leptin levels would eventually drop to low and all fat burning would essentially halt.

And for shakes, their are tons of different brands. I would actually find it hard to find many shakes with carbs. The only shake I can think of that is specifically no carbs at all including even traces of lactose would be Isopure.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 02-20-2002 at 03:29 PM.

Atkins sucks proverbial monkey bollocks.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Atkins is generally not good for building muscle.

Getting rid of fat and PRESERVING it, yes. To build it, you'll need some carbs to fuel workouts (or enough protein to boot you out of ketosis)

If you are set on Adkins, your best bet will be a TKD, where you ingest 25-50g of simple carbs (not fructose) right before, during, or after training.

Go to proteinfactory to get yourself a 0 carb protein powder.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Well, I started Atkins two days ago, so I want to get my ass into Ketosis, lose a few pounds and do it for at least 2-3 weeks.. Then the plan is to wean off of that, and into a moderate carb, high protein, low fat, low sugar, no caff diet. And workout like a mother to gain same weight in muscle.

BTW,

At start 235, 5' 11"
    Current - 220
    Goal - Stay around 200 even, but have a low Body fat (no current reading available, calipers are in the mail.)

Doing keto for a couple of weeks is just going to drop your glycogen stores and water weight.

As soon as you eat a bagel, it will all be back.

There's no reason to get into ketosis if you are not going to stick with the keto diet.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Continuously Dangerously
    im on a ckd diet right now and its fukn hell- im eat constantly but im still always hungry, i watch a pizza hut commercial and get terrible cravings, my workouts stink cause i have little energy, and oh yea, the cravings are bad.

but......being that ive lost about 8lbs in a week+, its definitely worth it. and i can attest that ketosis is a wonderful thing. i ran mile after mile and couldnt get rid of that last little bit of back/side fat, jsut wouldnt leave, thought i was stuck w/it forever. wrong. i now see how diet is such a key thing, probably more important than your actual training. in just a week i dont have love handles, and i can visibly see, from day to day, the 'rippedness' increase.

plusi used to weigh 196, a couple months ago i got down to 173 and couldnt break the plateau.. wrong. went on ckd and im now 165 and dropping... its great. if you can make it through the first couple days its awesome.