The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

Dead lifts are a must have

Why?

Actually let me be more thorough.

I just added dead lifts into my routine and after doing them for the first week, my lower back is killing me - soreness, no injury.

My lower back is a problem area for me and it is prone to having the muscles pulled.

Was just wondering on why dead lifts are like the god of lifts to justify my soreness today
    Last edited by idrumtomuch; 03-19-2007 at 06:49 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

yo man, i just started them about 3 weeks ago. and beleive me m lower back was sore my first week too. but the next 2 my lower back was ready for the workout. Its just that your lower isnt used to the weight or excersise, is just telling you that its new.....check in next week i bet it wont be close to as bad. Deadlifts work your lower so they are great from your hammies to your back. good luck
    Currently Bulking
    10/06:150lbs---8.5% bod fat--------------------3/25/07: 170 lbs

8/25/07: 163lbs---------goal @ 185 by (5/1/08)

Lifts/Goals:
    -deadlift 370x6 (current 315)
    -flat bb bench 205x5 (current 185)
    -squat 265x6 (current rehab in knees, light legs)
    -lat p/u BW+50 x 6 (current 35x6)

Your lower back may be sore but as you strengthen the weak links and become more efficient at the exercise your glutes and hams will become the primary movers.
    When you strengthen your posterior your overall lifting capacity increases. The body responds to the increased demand by getting bigger. This will necessitate a lot of hard work as they are very demanding (and gratifying) as the weight increases.

Dead lifts and squats take a lot of work ethic. If you have what it takes to perform these two lifts at or above capacity, the rest of your routine will follow suit.

Absolutely!
    While we're at it, I might as well throw in a tip for deadlifting that may seem obvious to some, but not to others.
    ALWAYS pull back when you're deadlifting as opposed to just lifting it up and then straightening your back. I really focused on this for the first time today and 225 lbs seemed MUCH easier than last week, plus my back and legs were much more worked it seemed.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

^^ hmm that wasnt that obvious to me .. i've been going pretty much striaght up. i'm gonna try that
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

This is kind of what I mean:

Not pulling back(first guy): http://youtube.com/watch?v=iYRnwAqVDjw

Is pulling back(first chick that deads):
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=61nY5Sr-LfM
    Last edited by ray34iyf; 03-19-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    Your lower back may be sore but as you strengthen the weak links and become more efficient at the exercise your glutes and hams will become the primary movers.
    When you strengthen your posterior your overall lifting capacity increases. The body responds to the increased demand by getting bigger. This will necessitate a lot of hard work as they are very demanding (and gratifying) as the weight increases.

Dead lifts and squats take a lot of work ethic. If you have what it takes to perform these two lifts at or above capacity, the rest of your routine will follow suit.
    Very nicely said. I agree 100%.

Kiaran, off topic, but did you make that avatar yourself or did you find it somewhere? WOuld love to get that in a poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Kiaran, off topic, but did you make that avatar yourself or did you find it somewhere? WOuld love to get that in a poster.
    Actually that IS me. I took a photo of my lift in my garage and created the avatar. I want it in a poster too
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

well if you ever blow it up, make me a copy, it's a nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post

Great post here

It's king because it is the ultimate test in raw strength. How much can one human being lift off the floor into the air from a dead stop. It is also the single most realistic movement in weightlifting that can be transferred to real world lifts. I've used the same movement to lift dozens of things, pull **** out of the ground, etc, etc.

Deadlifts are king and I don't know why more people don't do them. They make everything stronger and are one the most gratifying lifts to accomplish. Nothing beats reaching the top of the lift on a 1RM PR dead.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Big Smiley
    Man I also just started doing deadlifts, have been working out for over a year but have been working deadlift for 3 weeks. Man the 1st 2 times my lower back was sore for like 3 days, but I just did them yesterday after my biceps exercise. And I actually increased the weight significantly and I am no where near as sore as the first 2 times I did it. Dont get me wrong it was hell to do them, but thats what its all about you gotta push yourself to get where you wanna be and when it gets easier throw on some more weight and push.The fact alone that you are sore but not injured says that you are on the right track. I gotta admit soreness from chest to me is a good sore, but soreness from deadlifts can just be irritaiting. But it gets better.

Plus, they look impressive, just picking up 200+ lbs from the floor. Girls dig them.

And if they don't, you can beat them up anyways.

I kid.

Banned
    In your own time at home, do some extra lower back workouts. The one that really helped me is called Hip Extension.

Starting Position: Lie on your stomach on a mat. Bend your knee to a 90 degree angle so the sole of your toot faces the ceiling.

Action: Lift one thigh off the table approximately 6 inches by raising your foot toward the ceiling. Your hip bones do not leave the table as you lift the leg. Slowly lower your thigh back to the starting position.

It helped me so much now my lower back is strong as hell. I did 8x15 every day.
    Last edited by WestsideWarrior; 03-20-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Deep breath in through nose; hold it; grip the bar as tightly as possible; fire it up.

You would be surprised how much extra weight you can pull when you engage these simple mechanics.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs