The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    No sir @ mic...Just telling it how I know it to be lol

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    You say your eating enough? Well how much are you eating? Whats your maintence and how far over it are you?
    at the mo my maintainance is roughly 2600cals im currenlty eating about 500 above this so 3100 cals a day.

.5g fat per lb lean mass

1g protein per lb of lean mass

the rest i make up with carbs, potatoes brown rice etc, protein fat etc.
    Last edited by j-dearden; 03-20-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Banned
    That is DEFINIATLY not enough my friend...especially for your regiment of workouts...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Auddasea View Post
    No chest twice a week inst to much..
    In WBB1 it suggests doing bench two times a week, one wide gripped and one close grip...If you throw in the bench or fly on your last training day...It wont be a problem...Maybe on a leg day..than rest for 3 days...
    could give it a try.

summut like

DAy 1

Chest - flat 5 x 5

biceps

-
    -
    -

Day, what ever after legs

Chest

incline 3 x 6 - 8
    decline 3 x 6 -8
    fly 3 x 6 -8
    Last edited by j-dearden; 03-20-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Banned
    Id do chest flat 5 x 5 and the flys on one day and than do the incline on the other day so you wont be totally out of it..

and I wouldn't worry about doing decline chest presses...they don't utilize the muscles your trying to focus on to raise your bench press as much as the decline and flys
    Last edited by Auddasea; 03-20-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    That is DEFINIATLY not enough my friend...especially for your regiment of workouts...
    Ive had no problems gaining mass any where else eating this much, just my bench is turd. Dont want to start piling on the fat. 500 above maintinance seems to work fine.

Banned
    Well I suppose if it works for you my friend lol...do it...

I know if I don't eat at LEAST 4000 caoriesls a day I ain't gaining a pound

Here is a rough outline of a routine that helped me through a plateau;

day 1- bench set x6,x6x5,x5,x4,x4 increasing the weight at 5 and 4 rep sets
    incline db 3 sets 6-8, dips 3x6-8

day 2-back

day 3-speed bench 8 sets x3 resting only 30-45 sec, cls grip 6 sets x3, tricep cable pressdown 3x8-10

day 4 legs

This helped my bench immensely along with tweaking my form.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Here is a rough outline of a routine that helped me through a plateau;

day 1- bench set x6,x6x5,x5,x4,x4 increasing the weight at 5 and 4 rep sets
    incline db 3 sets 6-8, dips 3x6-8

day 2-back

day 3-speed bench 8 sets x3 resting only 30-45 sec, cls grip 6 sets x3, tricep cable pressdown 3x8-10

day 4 legs

This helped my bench immensely along with tweaking my form.
    Dont you work your biceps? i know some people dont need to coz back is enough to stimulate growth.

Speed bench?
    Last edited by j-dearden; 03-20-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j-dearden View Post
    Dont you work your biceps? i know some people dont need to coz back is enough to stimulate growth.

Speed bench?
    At the end of a back w/o I'll throw in a couple sets of curls or hammer curls but that's about it. My bi's get hit enough with back work.

Remember, your maintence will change as you add mass. If you haven't readjusted lately maybe bump up the cals a few hundred.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    Nice thread some good advice maybe il try the 5 x 5 see what happens, bin stuck on it for last year no point givin up

Banned
    WOW you've been stuck on bench for a year? You definitely need to start taking in more calories...if your bench don't go up at least 2LBS a month, your doing something wrong

Wannabebig Member
    WOW you've been stuck on bench for a year? You definitely need to start taking in more calories...if your bench don't go up at least 2LBS a month, your doing something wrong
    HAHA just a matter of speach m8 lol , if ive been stuck for a year i think i woulda threw in the towel.

Been about 3 month lol, a year tickled me that.

Banned
    SmokinHawk...If his problem is in his shoulders (which it sounds like) shouldn't he be doing incline bench presses? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just curious seeing as how your a vet and would probably know better than me lol
    the incline involves more shoulders. I have seen alot of people who complain of underdevoped chest, if you take a look at their shoulders they are big. Problem is when they bench their shoulders take over the pushing the chest does, I call them shoulder pushers (oppistite is (like me) a chest pusher)
    doing the incline first will hit the delts, and then moving to flat the delts will still get alot of stimulation causing them to out grow the chest.
    the shoulders get stronger the chest just grows enough to get by. maybe not big enough to satisfy the person.

Lot of advice comin here... i like

The reason i do incline first is im trying to dvelop the top part of my chest so i want to be fresh on this, but maybe a good idea would be too do flat barbell and concentarte on 5 x5?
    doing flat first then incline, IMO would be better to see your pecs grow and catch up to your shoulders.

If i split this up wont i be over training them? chest twice a week seems abit much.

also i think spilting them up may over train them, as the muscles in question might not have enough time to regenerate. Keeping them together since they are similar groups will allow you to hit them hard, then recover from your soreness. if you do split them up you might have to cut out alot of intensity, and or volume.
    i have looked at splitting up some of my benching to more of a westside style, but im just have to much trouble withthe days as my muscles involved dont have enough time to recover. I would have to take alot of intensity out of my workout which i dont want to do, instead i have been leaning more towards a metal militia style where they work heavy chest one day then top end work/triceps a few days later, as this can work for me as my tris are recovered by then but not my chest completly.

Speed bench?
    Sorry, I missed that part. Take 50-60% of your 1RM, do sets of 3 reps. Keep the movement controlled but work on exploding the weight upward. It helped me power through sticking points.

Mik, there are three muscles that make up your pectorals lol...
    I know this is a widely diverse argument but if you do more incline than flat you will have bigger pecs, if you do more flat than incline you will have more shapely pecs and so on...
    Huh?

Also, doing an incline press or decline press will not significantly develop a part of your chest at all.

For the most part, the flat bench recruits all fibers (assuming youre past muscle memory) and it will grow as a whole.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Do NOT train to failure! Ever! I trained to failure on my bench for a few months and went nowhere on it. I took a week off to rest up and then went back and now I stop one rep short of failure every time. My bench has started to increase again.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Banned
    Thats not true rich...
    More inclines = more buldge to your pecs...
    More Flats = More shape to your pecs...

Biologically proven

By what? Rats with serattus?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    Do NOT train to failure! Ever! I trained to failure on my bench for a few months and went nowhere on it. I took a week off to rest up and then went back and now I stop one rep short of failure every time. My bench has started to increase again.
    Yeh, ive been told this by other people at my gym, and come to think of it, the only body parts i train to failure r my chest and shoulders, and they are the only body parts tat my strength doesnt increase. My bis, tris back and legs get stronger all the time and i never train them to failure. Hmm duno how i didnt notice that. maybe this is the problem.

Banned
    No not rats lol..

It's a biological fact your chest consists of 3 muscles..aint rocket science lol

No not rats lol..

It's a biological fact your chest consists of 3 muscles..aint rocket science lol
    If there really are 3, name them.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

ROFL I can't believe this is going to turn into a "Can you isolate parts of the chest thread".
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!