The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1 douche can really ruin a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Soprano View Post
    If there really are 3, name them.
    He's not wrong regarding that...

You have the pectoralis major (the clavicular and sternal heads) so I suppose that could be two and you have the pectoralis minor.

But you can't really target any part of the chest more than another. The reason you incline is that it's a compound (not cooperative) lift that also hits the shoulders. I guess it could be argued that it hits the upper portions of the pec more than the flat bench does, but growth generally doesn't respond to that for whatever reason in the pecs. At least in my experience.

To the OP: When I get stuck on bench, I'll do a single set of three reps for negatives. I personally don't feel that negatives do much in regards to strength, but I've found, at least for me, that they help me break out of a slump. Put on a heavy weight and only do about three reps with your spotter. May or may not work, everyone responds differently.
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-20-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

?????
    you might try mixing it up with some decline... just a thought

Wow, this degenerated quickly. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can un**** this thread for us.

Banned
    How am I a douche?
    I stated facts and stated what works best for ME..
    I said that about 5 times through this thread...
    It's what i theorize to be true for ME

Jesus man

Quote Originally Posted by j-dearden View Post
    1) Are you eating enough to gain weight?

Yeh i am definatly eating enough

2) Are you retracting your shoulder blades?

Maybe this could be the reason?

3) How much weight are you trying to add when you say you can only get 2 reps?

Small increments... usauly 2.5kg - 5kg plates

4) How often do you work to failure?

on chest most of the time.

5) What is your rep range?

usualy around 6 -8 but i like to change this from time to time to 8 - 12

6) Post your entire routine

My current routine is as foolows

DAY 1

Chest

Incline bench - 1 warm up set 3 working sets 6 - 8 reps
    flat dumbell - 3 x 6 - 8 (some times go for 10 - 12)
    incline fly - 3 x 8 - 12
    crossover - 3 x 8 - 12

Pinch your shoulder blades together before you even lift the bar off the rack.

I wouldn't say a 2.5kg plate on each side is a small increment. Do you have 1 kg plates?

Stop working to failure. Maybe switch to flat barbell bench. Ditch the isolation exercises. 3 sets of flat barbell and 3 sets of flat dumbell is plenty IMO.

Try lowering the rep range.

J dearden, if I were you, I would just take a deloading week, let your muscles heal and suck up nutrients and go back to your routine knowing NEVER to train to failure again. Worked wonders for me. I was given that advice when I had the same problem and it got me back on track.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Auddasea View Post
    No not rats lol..

It's a biological fact your chest consists of 3 muscles..aint rocket science lol
    Your chest is a compartment type of muscle.. but what you are not realizing is, almost every fiber in the whole chest contracts with the flat bench.. so doing inclines or declines does not significantly, if at all for some develop regional parts of your chest.

I think you need a better look into biology.. The flat benchpress uses: Sternum, Humerus, Pectoralis Major, Coracobrachialis, Serratus Anterior, Subscapularis, Pectoralis minor, and the Teres Major. And thats not even all

When you say the "Chest" has 3 muscles.. you can tell you dont understand it biologically..Theres quite a few muscles at play. Not to mention the Pectoralis Minor is actually underneath the Pectoralis Major so its not even externally visible.

Youd be better off spending your time on the flat benchpress than you would trying to work at every single angle possible to develop your "upper" or "lower" chest with movements that would hardly, if at all, make a difference on certain parts of the muscle.

And please dont tell me youre also into that "inner" "outer" chest idea too.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 03-20-2007 at 11:10 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    ^^ Are you that ****i** ******ed?
    Do I have to spell it out for you in brail?

IN MY EXPERIENCE I HAVE PERSONALLY FOUND THAT DOING MORE INCLINE OPPOSED TO FLAT BENCH PRESSES, WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER BULDGE IN YOUR CHEST.

Pay attention to the thread. I've said it 6 times... I'm advocating what works for ME..Not you, and not the rest of the board. ME, you ignoramus.

Guy has to be illiterate.

i am wayyyyy too lazy to read everyones replies on here...

so take it from one who knows...

Swap to Dumbell Bench Press! Squeeze your shoulder blades together on the bench... and pause at the bottom...

IN MY EXPERIENCE I HAVE PERSONALLY FOUND THAT DOING MORE INCLINE OPPOSED TO FLAT BENCH PRESSES, WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER BULDGE IN YOUR CHEST.

Pay attention to the thread. I've said it 6 times... I'm advocating what works for ME..Not you, and not the rest of the board. ME, you ignoramus.

^^^ your a dumbass. Thanks for comming out!

There goes your respect.

I guess somehow your biological makeup of connective tissues and muscle fibers/origins is somehow different than everyone elses.

You should pick up the book, "Biology for dummies"
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 03-21-2007 at 01:42 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial