Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help.... Stuck on bench

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Help.... Stuck on bench

Hey all

it as come to the point where i am gettin proper pi$*%d of with my chest, all other body parts are fine, but when it comes to doin my chest i just cant seem to get passed the weight i am on. if i try and add weight on i just cant get passed 2 reps or so. at the mo i am lifting 30kg on each side (about 180lb including bar) but if i add weight on i fail straight away.

i cant make my mind up whether this is a physical platue or mental block.

ahve any of you men been in this situation? if so how the hell did u get passed your sticking point.

Cheers all
    Last edited by j-dearden; 03-20-2007 at 08:20 AM.

1) Are you eating enough to gain weight?

2) Are you retracting your shoulder blades?

3) How much weight are you trying to add when you say you can only get 2 reps?

4) How often do you work to failure?

5) What is your rep range?

6) Post your entire routine

Wannabebig Member

Yeh i am definatly eating enough

Maybe this could be the reason?

Small increments... usauly 2.5kg - 5kg plates

on chest most of the time.

usualy around 6 -8 but i like to change this from time to time to 8 - 12

My current routine is as foolows

DAY 1

Chest

Incline bench - 1 warm up set 3 working sets 6 - 8 reps
    flat dumbell - 3 x 6 - 8 (some times go for 10 - 12)
    incline fly - 3 x 8 - 12
    crossover - 3 x 8 - 12

Biceps

dumbell curl - 3 x 6 -8
    barbell curl (wide grip) 3 x 6 - 8
    hammer 3 - 6 - 10

finish on a isolated move usualy concentration curl, main purpose is for the pump on this. 2 x 10 - 12

DAY 2

Legs

squat 3 x 6 - 8
    leg press 3 x 6 - 8
    extension 3 x 8 -12
    ham curl 3 x 8 - 12

calfs

standing 3 x 15, 20, 25
    seated 3 x 10, 15, 20

DAY 3

Shoulders

Superset lat raises - uprifght row

Lat raises 3 x 6 - 10 (no rest)
    up right row 3 x 6 - 10 (1 min rest)

Dumbell press 3 x 6 - 8

rear delt raises 3 x 8 - 12

Triceps

Dips 3 x failure (mainly get blood flowing to them before close grip)
    close grip 3 x 6 - 8
    scull crusher 3 x 6 - 8
    press down 3 x 6- 8

like biceps finish of on isolation usualy reverse push down - 2 x 8 - 12

DAY 4

Back

Deadlift 3 x 4 - 8
    pull up 3 - failure
    bent over row 3 x 6 - 8
    one arm row 3 x 8 - 12
    lat pull down 3 x 8 - 12

These are not in consecutive days, i train 4 days a week and 3 days off
    Last edited by j-dearden; 03-20-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j-dearden View Post

Yeh i am definatly eating enough

Maybe this could be the reason?

Small increments... usauly 2.5kg - 5kg plates

on chest most of the time.

usualy around 6 -8 but i like to change this from time to time to 8 - 12

My current routine is as foolows

DAY 1

Chest

Incline bench - 1 warm up set 3 working sets 6 - 8 reps
    flat dumbell - 3 x 6 - 8 (some times go for 10 - 12)
    incline fly - 3 x 8 - 12
    crossover - 3 x 8 - 12

Pinch your shoulder blades together before you even lift the bar off the rack.

I wouldn't say a 2.5kg plate on each side is a small increment. Do you have 1 kg plates?

Stop working to failure. Maybe switch to flat barbell bench. Ditch the isolation exercises. 3 sets of flat barbell and 3 sets of flat dumbell is plenty IMO.

Try lowering the rep range.

Banned
    One of your problems is in your rep range...8-12 on bench is never an option..
    That's basically a rep range when training for stamina...

6-8 Is good I suppose but if your on a plateau try 5 x 5 work for a while...you should be able to break it...

Another problem is your over training, by far... Spend three days a week in the gym and 4 days out...Plus a lot of the exercises your doing are trivial..

One exercise thats really helps my bench is the Dumbbell Shoulder Press...Since when benching your utilizing a lot of your deltoids.

Wannabebig Member
    Thing is i cant rely find a reasonable split to train 3 days a week. I like to train back and legs on there own since i like to use all i have on these since there are a few big moves in them.

another thing i have noticed wen benching is my triceps tire very quickly (this could be due to the rep range 8 - 12). but when i train my triceps directly they dont. it feels like the top part, i supose this could be the shoulders that need strengthing and not the triceps.
    Last edited by j-dearden; 03-20-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auddasea View Post
    One of your problems is in your rep range...8-12 on bench is never an option..

Bugreus
    Plateaus are usually indicative of overtraining. I would take a week off and then get back to lifting. Eliminate a chest exercise from your list (4 is too much) and mix in flat bb, incline db etc. I agree with changing to a 5x5.

On a side note, it looks like you're overkilling almost every body part, which would make sense that your overtrained. Oh and btw, an isolation exercise is an exercise where only that muscle is being worked ex. any curl, skull crushers, tri pulldown, leg extensions etc.
    20 yrs. old
    5'10"
    162lbs. -- 180 lbs.

Max:
    Bench - 210 -- 245
    Squat - 250 -- 240 ATF
    Deadlift- 180 (just started these) -- 300 (yay)

And to mik, yeah I guess you can train 8-12 on bench lol...
    It's just not something id personally advocate for trying to enhance muscle mass and strength...Maybe for being cut and trying to forge stamina

So are you cutting then?

Banned
    i wouldnt say he is overtrained.
    seems to have a decent amount of rest between muscle groups.

one thing though if your worried about your chest your workouts arnt designed well to boost your chest.

Id suggest start out your chest exersizes with flat barbel bench, you doing incline will work your shoulders and have then take over the movement.
    mabye do 1 or two sets with decline after then flat, then do some incline if your still in the mood, i think cable work on the chest is worthless, but thats just me.

i have built a huge chest just by doing flat bench pressing with a barbell in the 10 set range and have move up with heavy weights doing some low rep sets after 3-5 sets of 10 reps.
    so my advice would be to try just doing flat and maybe decline bench for a while and see if that helps build your chest.

Banned
    Sounds like it has to do with the weight load on your shoulders...Might want to start doing some co operative exercises...

And as far as training, most of your growth comes when your out of the gym...training that much can bring your immune system down, and can actually be catabolic to your muscles if the sufficient amount of catalysts used to build muscle mass inst being replenished as fast as your using it

And to mik, yeah I guess you can train 8-12 on bench lol...
    It's just not something id personally advocate for trying to enhance muscle mass and strength...Maybe for being cut and trying to forge stamina

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds like it has to do with the weight load on your shoulders...Might want to start doing some co operative exercises...
    What do you mean by co-operative exercise?

Thanks for the advice much appriciated

Wannabebig Member
    Lot of advice comin here... i like

The reason i do incline first is im trying to dvelop the top part of my chest so i want to be fresh on this, but maybe a good idea would be too do flat barbell and concentarte on 5 x5?

Quote Originally Posted by j-dearden View Post
    Lot of advice comin here... i like

The reason i do incline first is im trying to dvelop the top part of my chest so i want to be fresh on this, but maybe a good idea would be too do flat barbell and concentarte on 5 x5?
    You can't develop a part of your chest. Make your whole chest bigger. Try doing some lower rep work and see how that works.

Banned
    SmokinHawk...If his problem is in his shoulders (which it sounds like) shouldn't he be doing incline bench presses? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just curious seeing as how your a vet and would probably know better than me lol

Banned
    Well in bench your utilizing more than just your pecs and triceps ...
    Your using your deltoids, some of your back and your leg muscles (if done properly) to drive your feet into the ground to keep stable.. but I dont think you will have a problem with your legs lol..

If I was you I would start doing shoulder work.. Incline bench presses, Dumbbell shoulder presses etc etc...Maybe even some pull ups to be honest..

A co-operative exercise is a exercise that doesn't directly hit the muscles needed for the exercise but hits the ones that are co-operating with the main muscles used

Wannabebig Member
    My shoulder routine looks fine then? just try and concentrate on upping the weight on dumbell shoulder press, and alter my chest routine to somethiong like:-

Flat barbell bench 5 x 5
    incline (any ideas)
    incline fly (any ideas)

?

Banned
    No@ mik, I was training to 8 reps for bench and was getting absolutely no where...
    But after the last month of working to 6 reps of failure I've pushed my bench from 145 x 8 to 175 x 8...

Which Im very happy about...So i was just giving advice from my own experience

No@ mik, I was training to 8 reps for bench and was getting absolutely no where...
    But after the last month of working to 6 reps of failure I've pushed my bench from 145 x 8 to 175 x 8...

Which Im very happy about...So i was just giving advice from my own experience
    My point was you made it sound like nobody should be doing bench in the 8-12 rep range. I too respond better with lower reps and volume but that was a generalization IMO.

Banned
    Mik, there are three muscles that make up your pectorals lol...
    I know this is a widely diverse argument but if you do more incline than flat you will have bigger pecs, if you do more flat than incline you will have more shapely pecs and so on...

I know this is a widely diverse argument but if you do more incline than flat you will have bigger pecs, if you do more flat than incline you will have more shapely pecs and so on...
    check this thread out http://64.191.89.25/showthread.php?t=76817

Huh?

Also, doing an incline press or decline press will not significantly develop a part of your chest at all.

For the most part, the flat bench recruits all fibers (assuming youre past muscle memory) and it will grow as a whole.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Do NOT train to failure! Ever! I trained to failure on my bench for a few months and went nowhere on it. I took a week off to rest up and then went back and now I stop one rep short of failure every time. My bench has started to increase again.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    Do NOT train to failure! Ever! I trained to failure on my bench for a few months and went nowhere on it. I took a week off to rest up and then went back and now I stop one rep short of failure every time. My bench has started to increase again.
    Yeh, ive been told this by other people at my gym, and come to think of it, the only body parts i train to failure r my chest and shoulders, and they are the only body parts tat my strength doesnt increase. My bis, tris back and legs get stronger all the time and i never train them to failure. Hmm duno how i didnt notice that. maybe this is the problem.

Banned
    No not rats lol..

It's a biological fact your chest consists of 3 muscles..aint rocket science lol