The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Get stronger without getting bigger? Possible?

Hi,

Here's my dilemma - I'd don't want to loose fat because it would mean loosing muscle right? Isn't it true that you loose some muscle before burning fat, or something?

I am doing a lot of weights and similar exercises (but not much aerobic at the moment) - but I don't want to gain muscle (as this would probably also mean putting on fat) - I just want to get a bit stronger. I am not eating anymore, just doing a lot of weights - therefore not giving them a chance to get bigger. Do muscles get stronger without getting bigger? I believe they must, as I know a lot of skinny people who are still quite strong.

I remember when I was younger (17/18) I would eat not much, go to the gym and do every exercise under the sun - but I was skinny (but very strong!). How is this?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cormac

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cormac View Post
    Here's my dilemma - I'd don't want to loose fat because it would mean loosing muscle right? Isn't it true that you loose some muscle before burning fat, or something?
    No, it would not mean that. Muscle and fat are two completely different things.
    No, it's not true to my knowledge that you loose muscle before burning fat.
    There is arguments though that the body does take the path of least resistance
    when performing catabolic tasks in the body, which would mean that you loose muscle before mass but this is only a theory. I don't personally believe it.

Yes it's possible to get stronger without getting bigger. Perform sets in the rep range of 8-10 I think (Someone Correct me if I'm wrong). This will give you strength gains and wont send your muscles into to much hypertrophy.
    Last edited by Auddasea; 03-21-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Training for strength will get you stronger. Lower rep training is typically the approach. Calories will make you bigger not the way you train. You can train all you want but if you don't consume excess calories you qwon't grow.

Banned
    Ahh so that's how it works lol..

its perfectly possible to drop bodyfat an keep all your muscle, or even gain some, ive done it, an its perfectly possible to gain muscle without gaining body fat, or even drop some, ive done it - these are not easy things to do however

all you need to do to get stronger without getting bigger is do strength training an dont eat enough to grow, its pretty simple really - good luck

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies.

What's going on biologically when one doesn't consume excess calroies, but can still gain strength, and not muscle?

Oh, by the way:

I am not eating anymore, just doing a lot of weights
    By that I meant I am not eating any more than usual. Not that I've stopped eating!

More muscle will eventually translate into less fat since muscle tissue requires a lot of energy to sustain.

So eat up and lift heavy =)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Bear in mind it's a slow journey. I've held at 160-165 for about a year now, eating at maintenance on average, and I've lost maybe 1% body fat. I notice it but I doubt anyone else would... but I don't lift for them anyways.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    Bear in mind it's a slow journey. I've held at 160-165 for about a year now, eating at maintenance on average, and I've lost maybe 1% body fat. I notice it but I doubt anyone else would... but I don't lift for them anyways.
    While it is a slow journey, that seems extremely slow for someone at 15%+ bf per your signature.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

I agree with rock steady. If you work hard you can get a lot done in a relatively short period of time. I gained 8lbs of muscle while losing 52lbs of fat over the last 7 months. Granted I was really fat in august but it can still be done.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Lose = To lose something
    Loose = not tight
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post
    While it is a slow journey, that seems extremely slow for someone at 15%+ bf per your signature.
    I'm a hardcore endomorph with digestion issues and quite possibly thyroid problems. While I have to eat like a pig to get higher than 160, as long as I'm lifting, I've been as low as 1000 calories a day without getting UNDER it. This month, for example, has seen 1700 days because I haven't been feeling well (four scoops of whey, six oz chicken, two potatoes) when traditionally my maintenance can be as high as 2500 for a month without affecting my weight. There has been no change on the scale.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

I'm a hardcore endomorph with digestion issues and quite possibly thyroid problems. While I have to eat like a pig to get higher than 160, as long as I'm lifting, I've been as low as 1000 calories a day without getting UNDER it. This month, for example, has seen 1700 days because I haven't been feeling well (four scoops of whey, six oz chicken, two potatoes) when traditionally my maintenance can be as high as 2500 for a month without affecting my weight. There has been no change on the scale.
    Have you been tested for a thyroid disorder? I'm hypothyroid myself - 100 mcg of Levoxyl a day is all it takes to fix.

Do you find yourself to be constantly napping? That's what motivated me to get tested about 2 years ago.
    6'1, 217 lbs

Actually, yes, I do nap a lot. If I sit still for more than five or six minutes without anything distracting me, I'll zonk out... regardless of how much sleep I've gotten the night before. Hell, I'll zonk out at work even with things distracting me in the middle of the afternoon.

Given my family history I should be checked, I suppose. I'm just not one of the 'gain 20 pounds by looking at cake' types prevelent in my family so I've never made a big deal about it. My digestion issues affect me more in day to day life.

Actually, yes, I do nap a lot. If I sit still for more than five or six minutes without anything distracting me, I'll zonk out... regardless of how much sleep I've gotten the night before. Hell, I'll zonk out at work even with things distracting me in the middle of the afternoon.

Given my family history I should be checked, I suppose. I'm just not one of the 'gain 20 pounds by looking at cake' types prevelent in my family so I've never made a big deal about it. My digestion issues affect me more in day to day life.
    Man, I was a complete twig when I was diagnosed. You don't need to show all of the signs. You should get tested ASAP based on what you've just said alone and your family history. As for the drug you get put on, I'd recommend Levoxyl because it has the same active ingredients as other brands, but costs much less. There is no true generic available in the class (there are, but I've heard they have had issues with consistent dosing, since we're dealing with 1/1000ths of a mg), but Levoxyl is priced like one. Plan on paying around $100-$150/year max.
    Last edited by Rock Steady; 03-21-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    6'1, 217 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by cormac View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

What's going on biologically when one doesn't consume excess calroies, but can still gain strength, and not muscle?
    Central Nervous System (CNS) adaptation. It means that as you lift heavy weights in a certain movement, you become more and more efficient at lifting the weight through increased ability to recruit motor units to lift the weight. In other words, lifting heavy stimulates activation of more muscle fibers, making it seem easier to lift the weight the next time (assuming you've recovered), or to lift heavier weight.

Ideally to gain strength you would lift weight above 85-90% of your max and allow your CNS and muscles adequate time to recover before doing it again.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Guido.